General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...

Go in with a fair offer. If they accept buy the bike. If they decline ask for a counter offer. Should they choose not to deal, simply leave and find another dealer. You can find a much better deal than that. I hate playing games when I am spending 20K. I called several dealers around when I bought my 07 a few months back. Part of the problem was availability. The 07 production was just about stopped and the 08's were not started yet. R/G are not produced in huge numbers to begin with and the color I was set on was few and far between in my area at that time. I finally found one that my dealer I chose had to trade for and go get and still paid under MSRP.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts

That is one frustrating e-mail exchange! I hate it when I can't be more clear about what I'm asking and the answer is not given to me. Sorry for your experience with this dealer. Hopefully another one in your geographic region will be more helpful.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:52 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

availablity? supply and demand? Just look at HD's stock . . they have too many bikes to move right now. That guy should have offered you a deal you couldn't refuse.

Personally, I suggest you buy a lightly used one and let some other sucker take the hit.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
EXAMMO
Tourer

FYI. Barnett HD will pay up to $200 for your plane ticket to EL Paso, pick you up from the airport, put you up in a discounted hotel and make a deal on a bike. You can probably call to see if they deal at MSRP.

Jeremy

Old 09-11-2007, 03:51 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to get a bike from Barnett and they were way above MSRP. They sell a lot of bikes though because they finance people with less than desirable credit and hose them on the interest rate.

Personally, I don't see the big deal about the dealer first mentioned. If you don't like his price, go somewhere else. If you don't like his attitude, gosomewhere else. Life's too short to get in a dither about it.There are plenty of HD dealers around and there are a lot that are good folks that don't have an attitude.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:46 PM
EXAMMO
Tourer

I don't really know much about Barnet HD. I stopped on my way from Cali to Texas one summer and they told me about the program. I never talked price with the guys. They did have a good selection though. Thanks for the update though geezer! Will keep that in mind.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Unome
Dealers I have been to WILL NOT give you a piece of paper to take out of the store to compare prices.
In the Dallas area we have about 5 dealers, with 2 owned by one corporation, 2 owned by a family, and one on its own. The family owned dealer sells at MSRP (with discounts when clearing out inventory). The corporate owned sells at above MSRP. The good news is that the corporate owned dealers know the family owned one sells at MSRP, and they know their current deals. They are also close enough such that there is a health spirit of competition, so I just needed to go into the corporate owned dealers, tell them I got a certain out of the door quote from the family owned one, and they matched it, including the $500 store gift card.

I "think" that if an MSRP dealer knows you have another option that you will seriously go to, they can probably be talked down, quote in writing or not. It's just one of those things where if they can get the extra cash, why not try, but if they know that battle is lost they will probably throw up the white flag. Of course, that would all depend on demand since I imagine they wouldn't give in if they knew they had another guy waiting around the corner that would pay their price.

Who knows. I do have to admit that it's pretty sweet having so many HD dealers in a 20 mile radius.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey friend, I have a brand new 2007 quarter. I can cut you a deal for it. The low cost of $2500.00 plus shipping and a handling charge of $250.00. The benefit to you is after the purchase you can take your picture with me. Afterwardswe will always be friends provided from time to time you allow me to take advantage of you for my financial benefit.
If anyone else is interested in giving me a couple grand please dont hesitate to email me.
ORIGINAL: NYNickET

time is money. i could of gone outta state fer a better price but then i'd have to get there and get the bike home & take off of work.

i bought at my local dealer. i got robbed BUT i made friends and i stop by all the time to say hello.

you gotta pick and choose ur fights.

ijust wanna ride.

peace --N.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:28 PM
FKNDLX
Banned

Gotta say, I owned a car dealership years ago, and never ever was I able to sell a car over the phone, on another note, when I bought my Deluxe the dealer quoted me MSRP +++ via email, when I wentINTO THE DEALERSHIPto buy the bike I paid a little over $3k less than that, the key is going into the dealership write a check for what your willing to pay, make it out to them, tell the guy to bring the check to his manager and let them know your either leaving with your check or with the bike, in most cases you will win, works for me every time. Keep in mind evenif you want to finance it do the same thing, they always try to convert cash customers tofinance,but since the "think" you have the cash you will get the very best rate.

*** Vote for FKNDLX Bike of the month ***

Old 09-11-2007, 06:35 PM
rahall
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That “Free Market” BS makes me sick.

I love a free market economy, but not price gouging or price fixing.

Back in the eighties, a local metric dealer bought all of the generators from local retailers and took them to Florida. He sold them for 2, 3, 4+ times the retail price after a hurricane.

Free market? NO, price gouging.

He was arrested and fined for this price gouging.

It took years for his dealership to recover.

In my experience, we have an “Above MSRP” type Harley dealer here in Huntsville Alabama.

The dealership is Rocket Harley actually located just outside of Huntsville Alabama in Mooresville Alabama.

Please read my post concerning this dealer: https://www.hdforums.com/m_2116825/tm.htm

At the very least this type of dealer is using poor business practices and has no respect for their local Harley customers.

To put it in no uncertain terms; these dealers can go to heII before I spend any money at their dealership and you are a fool if you do.

I bought my 2007 Ultra Classic from Atlanta HD below MSRP with NO added frieght or setup charges, ordered most all of my upgrades from www.lshd1.com or eBay, and installed EVERYTHING myself.

I am not affiliated with any of the mentioned businesses.

And no, I am not an experienced mechanic. Yes, I made a few small mistakes, but I saved thousands of dollars and have an awesome bike now. I know a lot more about my bike and I have a great since of accomplishment.

I am not a Harley dealership basher. PLEASE read my post about Atlanta HD. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2048883/tm.htm

I say boycott the bad dealers and patronize the good ones.

That’s my $0.02 worth.

Quick Reply: A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...