General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...

ORIGINAL: Unome

Dealers I have been to WILL NOT give you a piece of paper to take out of the store to compare prices. They would fax a copy to a lender - i.e. bank or credit union - but refused to give me a copy of the terms we worked out on a bike. They didn't want me going somewhere else and getting their deal beat.
All you need is if they are going to sell at msrp, and what they are charging to put the bike together. Plus TTL. And what all it includes, write it down on a piece of paper. Then go somewhere else and look at the bikes. One dealer might have a color in stock the other dealer don't have so you have to deceide.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
uesque
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SanRico

Not sure where you got your numbers , but straight m.s.r.p is on a
two-tone bike is $17,980.00 plus fright
There's your answer about the extra $3K.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:25 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty simple really, the $$$ above MSRP that they can't account for is pure profit (read huge commission) that they will get from someone, if not you, someone will pay what they're asking. Best advice has already been given, get what you want from another dealer and then just for laughs, take your new bike back to your friend "MC" if you can find him (yeah, like that's real) and show him what you bought for over $3,000.00 less than what he quoted.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have bought 4 bikes of a known above MSRP dealer and have never paid over MSRP from them. In two times I was at least $1300 below MSRP. If they know you are serious about buying, most will work with you no matter what the original asking price. If not there are plenty of other dealers that would be glad to take you money.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
ken01976
Road Master

I would sell the bikes for as much as I could get. Thats the joy of a free market.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
uesque
Tourer

You have to go in person, also. Getting up and physically walking out in the middle of negotiations is a far stronger statement than just not e-mailing back.

My Dad used to take the whole family when buying a car so that when he didn't get his price it was a huge spectacle all of us standing up and starting to walk out. He always got his price.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:02 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why waste time with all this? There's a ton of dealers selling at or below MSRP nowadays.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:09 PM
MyBluOx
Tourer

Do what I did. I bought my bike from a nother dealer and now take it to the local for all warranty work. Boy are they pissed. The wouldn't give me the deal I wanted and someone else did. The GM told me next time to come to him and he'll make it right.

Jeff

Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many dealers are arrogant SOB's. They think (and know in some cases) that we are mindless pigs following the lead hog.. and that we will fall in line. When I bought mine, I chaecked out 5 dealers with-in 100 miles. There was about $2,000 difference between them. I paid about $250 over the lowest, but they were the closest.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: phat96

That dance was already to long, and you just want to punch the saleman, move on, I'm Pheonix and Buddy Stubbs will sell it all day at MSRP. Fly in and ride home. No I don't work for them, but I get parts and service from them. In this vally they are the onlydealership worth dealing with. Good luck.
Don't kid yourself about the Phoenix Metro area dealers like Buddy Stubbs selling at MSRP.Arrowhead Harleywhere I bought my RK just matched the price ofthe lowest out the door price quote I receivedwhich was from Chesters HD. They were all very close in price and said they sold at MSRP,butif you want to count the $700 to $800 dollars setup charges, $295.00 Documentation Charges that they all charge and everything else they try to add on and still consider it MSRP then more power to you. Now that being said I still like the Buddy Stubbs dealership more then any of them in the Phoenix area and would have bought my bike there but they didn't have the color I wanted, but I do buy a lot of other things from them. Their price was just a little above Chesters when I was doing my research and I'm sure they would have matched them. Some dealers give you some extras, but you don't get muchin the Phoenix area where we can ride year around. A couple of T-shirts and 10% off of everything I bought or added on to my bike the day I bought itis what I received which was better than nothing.

Quick Reply: A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...