General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...

That's good, but a lot of people don't mind, or don't know, they're being bent over andthe dealers will take full advatange of them. It's business, not personal.

ORIGINAL: SanRico

I ain't willing to bend over for these stealerships.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

As with any free market economy, the price of something is not what you (or the manufacturer) think it should be- it is what the market will bear.
Here in NC at my dealership I paid a couple hundred under MSRP for the bike, plus they threw in the 1000 mile service for free, 20% off all accessories, andone free dyno run if I want it. Very nice people and a great dealership. The market here won't support a price of $3k over MSRP, so they price them where they have to in order to compete with other local dealersor they'll lose all their business.

As for your dealer charging over MSRP, you summed it up in your original post-
"It seems crazy to me that Harley dealerships unapologetically charge riders ABOVE the MSRP, and there arecustomers lined out the door, willing to pay those prices, and thrilled to get financing at a ridiculous interest rate."

While I sympathize with your position, the market in your area supports such pricing and one cannot blame the dealer for selling his product for what the market says it's worth. (I would do the very same thing if I were him.)
And while you were able to buy your new pickup for under MSRP, try to do the same when purchasing a new Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang or a new Dodge Viper or other exotic car. These cars sell daily (with long waiting lists) at $25000-$35000 over MSRP.
Itis simply business...

Old 09-11-2007, 11:11 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it's dealer stubborness or something in their contract with Harley-Davidson, but many dealers are still sticking with that MSRP plus mentality. Be patient for a while and, given what's happening in the economy and with the competition,that will change. Either that or you'll find a 99¢ Store where that dealership used to be.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM
NYNickET
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

time is money. i could of gone outta state fer a better price but then i'd have to get there and get the bike home & take off of work.

i bought at my local dealer. i got robbed BUT i made friends and i stop by all the time to say hello.

you gotta pick and choose ur fights.

ijust wanna ride.

peace --N.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 1st dealership I went into they pulled that on me. I told them the MSRP price, what price was they quoting me. They said fair market value price. Could they please check my credit. I just told the salesman. I think you have too many folks with money coming into this place because of yer locaion and are willing to spend the money.
I think I can do 3500 better somewhere else. Sorry for letting you waste my time.
I didn't argue with him , I just told him he was friggin crazy if I was going to pay fair market value. Msrp or better . I had other dealerships busting their chops to sell me a bike. We have plenty of dealerships with in 100 miles of houston and they are building another one in Kingwood.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds like that salesman is unwilling to answer your questions, therefore he doesn't want your business. All he had to do was give you a breakdown on the price whether or not it was true. HE was unable to do that, I would walk as that is a lot of money to give to a lyin sack of you know what. I am shocked that these stealers have people that are so dim witted working in sales occasionally. I am not buying from them until i have a complete understanding of what it is that I am paying for, and why I am paying EXTRA. For me it is much more a principal thing than about the extra money. IF they can't tell you off the bat what the extra $3000 is for, imagine what they will tell you if take it in for service. It is sad but people will do anything to make a buck. I still believe that honesty is the best policy. I can talk someone out of $20000 too, but would prefer to have them hand it over willingly by building a trusting relationship first. Imagine that.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:35 AM
RageAndMachine
Road Master

AllI know is that dude at the dealer needs to take a writing class.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes you can call and talk to the salesman over the phone and don't give them yer real name. Ask about a bike and the cost, then call back and ask for another salesman and ask his price and git another price if they are playing the high price games.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
TXISKING
Tourer

I don't understand why people get upset over and asking price on a negotiable item. If you don't ask you don't get. That is just the nature of the item. There are plenty of other means of transportation that is the same way. And why do people get upset when someone pays more than they would have paid themselves. Its all about worth and comfort on the buyers part. Worth is everchanging on any given item, comfort is up to the individual. I have never in my life heard anyone complain that WalMart, Target or any grocery chain would not negotiate. Just part of life. Just, pay what you think is right, let everyone else do the same, and RIDE.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealers I have been to WILL NOT give you a piece of paper to take out of the store to compare prices. They would fax a copy to a lender - i.e. bank or credit union - but refused to give me a copy of the terms we worked out on a bike. They didn't want me going somewhere else and getting their deal beat.

Quick Reply: A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...