General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REARENDED!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:35 PM
khyber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default REARENDED!!

Got into town to get my inspection sticker for the next 12 months; sitting at a light in the right turn lane waiting for traffic to clear so i can make the turn, pull into the inspection station. As I wait for the last car to pass by, WHAM, I get punched from behind. Pushed me about 3-4 feet forward and luckily I grabbed brakes and both feet were already down. Bent the rear fender, broke some of the nit noid **** on the fender but all else seems to be OK. "I thought you were going to go" was the reason for the young lady hitting me. Anyway, cops called, insurance traded, and I'm off the the local dealer to drop off the bike for estimates. Get there and they tell me they don't have a collision guy and they would take the bike to Alamo HD in a couple of days. That won't work for me so I take the bike home, contact AHD, and am told "sure, bring it in, we'll have a look, no charge". I ask for a timeline as I'm making a run towestern NC via Memphis, TN at end of month. "Oh, that may take about 2 months depending on damage". WTF!! No way. There's a local guy here, Phantom Rider Choppers, Jim, who will get my business tomorrow. Harley service quoted 2-4 weeks just for fender and parts and up to a month after that for labor. Is this the norm for getting work done at a dealer?? I am at this time one pissed off cat!

rant over.....[:@]

Old 09-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Still running
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: REARENDED!!

I wouldn't wait that long either. Sounds like it's not that bad , I would let someone else do the work.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:42 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

Depends on the dealer. I took my bike to the local dealer to have it looked at (they told me to bring it in, they'd have someone look at it) and when I got there they then said that the gal that does the inspection/estimates was gone for the week and they couldn't do anything til she came back. I was pissed beyond compare as they did tell me to bring it in. Called a dealership 70 miles away and they told me that it would be done within a hour and a half from the time I brought it in. Wheeled it in off of the trailer and a guy was there with paperwork for inspection in hand. A hour later it was done.

Guess where I'll be taking it to have the work done.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:53 PM
AR_Guy
Tourer

Kmm will chime in on this one. Four weeks will become seven and counting.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
johnpef
Advanced

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]Happened to me too, rearended that is. Dealer picked up the Harley...Dealer ordered a rear fenderthe same day...Insurance showed up a week later ....$2600.oo estimate, wrote a check and left it at the dealer. Took 6 weeks to get the fender and 2 days to make the repairs. The problem was the factory was not painting my color at the time. Had no choice but had to wait. I nailed theinsurance company of the gal that hit me for rentals every weekend. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior

looking to get rid of that old bent fender? I am looking to aquire one i can cut up

Old 09-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer

Car hits an 800lb bike hard enough to move it four feet I'd expect more damage than the fender. Give it a good look and make sure you get all the damage fixed.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 PM
johnpef
Advanced

2600$ was more than the fender...The fender was the hold up in time....waiting for the factory to paint my color.. Tour pack was removed and sent to the fiberglass shop, new tire, new lights, new chrome trim on the saddle bags, more chrome, and more chrome. And the labor . Sad part was only had the bike for 3 weeks, this happened 1/2 mile from home. Have over 15K on it since the rear end hit me.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
khyber
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: kawsakimx6

looking to get rid of that old bent fender? I am looking to aquire one i can cut up
yea, let me get this thing settled and its yours. i'll send you some pics here shortly and you decide if you want it.

rs

Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I put my RK in the ditch and was quoted 6 weeks for front fender, tank (which was only scuffed) from HD. Dealer said that since it is vivid black may be faster. Only saving grace is that the scoot will come back considerably more custom than it went in. Suprisingly a lot of HD chrome parts are cheaper than oem.

Quick Reply: REARENDED!!