General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should left lane hogs be ticketed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
HDRider#1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should left lane hogs be ticketed?

I ride on 22 wheels for4-5 days a week,whenI come up on someone going slower than me.....I pass them on the left and ,once past, I'm back in the right lane.
Why is this such a hard thing to do?

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

What really gets to me is the fact that the DOT has to put up signs along the interstate to tell people to "Keep to the Right Unless Passing", or "Slower Traffic Keep Right". To me, that's just common sense but even with the signs, you'll see people hogging the left lane. IDIOTS!!!
And I agree with the folks who say that it's not Joe Citizen's place to enforce the speed limit. Normally, speeders don't bother me....let them get the speeding ticket.

DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-10-2007, 09:14 PM
straitshot151
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are impeading the flow of traffic by hanging out in the left lane running only the speed limit,Yes you should and can be fined here in Texas.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

and while you are at it....learn to use turn signals.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

ORIGINAL: Rodent

As long as they are doing the speed limit, what are they doing wrong?
If they are doing the spped limit, and you come up behind them, wanting them to move over, you must be speeding, which will get YOU a ticket.
If I'm driving my truck or rideing my bike at the posted speed limit (YES IT HAPPENS) and someone climbs on my azz, I just continue with my speed, which forces them to go around if they want to go faster. I have just as much right in the left lane as you do. The left lane is not posted "FOR SPEEDERS ONLY".
I just posted this on the other "similar" thread, and I'll put it here, too.

I had a license to teach MSF in three states, and in all three states the law did not say, "If you are going the speed limit or more, you can drive in whatever laneyou want."

What the law says, is "Slower trafficmove to the right." There is no mention of speed limits in that law. The offense is impeding traffic.

Here's our law in Mn:

169.15 IMPEDING TRAFFIC.
No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to
impede or block the normal
and reasonable movement of traffic
except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or
IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW or except when the vehicle is temporarily unable to maintain a greater
speed due to a combination of the weight of the vehicle and the grade of the highway.

Note there is no mention of speed. Whetherthe normal flow of traffic is ten over or ten under, move the f..k over!

What does the law actually say in your state? Look it up. You might be surprised !

Yes, speed is mentioned. It is implied that you are in compliance with the speed limits.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 AM
flhx74
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fact:
If you live in a city, then the "accepted speed limit and flow of traffic" is 10-20 mph over the speed limit. If you're using the left lane to "drive the speed limit" you are causing a multitude of problems for all drivers and "LEO's" for that matter.

DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
JCTulsa
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one that makes me laugh out loud every time I see it is the person truckin along in the left laneand at the last second crosses2 lanes of traffic tomake their exit. Ya gotta think something startled them and woke them up.

JC

DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 AM
DirtyDave
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ditch_dgr

If the person in the left lane is traveling the speed limit they should be able to do as they choose. I personally think they need to do a big crack down on speeding in my area. In our area traffic on the interstate normally travels at 15-20 mph over the speed limit, it is insane.
The rule of the road is "Stay right unless passing"
The problem here in the good old USA is that we don't take drivers training serious enough. "Driving is easy, simple, ect." That's why more people are killed in traffic accidents then any other way in this country. People teach thier children "The right way to drive" when they don't know the rules.

DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-11-2007, 11:00 AM
RoadRunner1
Cruiser

Picture this. Pa Turnpike ,3 lanes of traffic,legal speed limit 65mph ,Vehicle in left lane doing 50 mph won't move! Flip's the bird to people trying to go around him. Road Rage.no wonder!

DuciDay (07-02-2024)
Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: daconiam

Do not pass on the right is the key, not a requirement but the right has the most blind spots when you come up behind someone. There are plenty of signs all over the states either "left lane for passing only" or "Slower traffic stay to the right". So unless you are ACTIVELY passing someone the stay to the FAR right, not hanging out in the middle lane either. If people are passing you on the right then get your **** over, you are causing traffic problems. Just watch the road in front of you and see what a slow person in the middle or the left lane does to traffic, it is dangerous!

It does not matter why I want to pass you or go faster in the left lane. I could have a hurt kid in the back seat, I could be on my way to hear my dying Father's last words. It is not your business to hold my speed down to the limit. We pay police to take care of the speeders.People will speed regardless of anyones "holier-than-thou attitude of going the speed limit in a passing lane" just because they feel they are the moral saviors of the free world, it just makes the speeder weave all over the road to get to their destination (hospital/kids baseball game/airport/drunken party) and end up cutting me off or better yet running me off the road while trying to pass them on the right.

I have to disagree your logic and I am not just talking about the whole stay right thing. I think we all agree that staying rightIF you are impeding traffic and not passing the cars on the right or if the right lane is open and unobstucted, no matter what your speed. I will however put in the caviat of freeways and other roadways that are more then 2 lanes on each side (per my earlier post).

The left lane is NOT for speeding. Nor for speeding based on a need you may percieve as an emergancy. Really, I am very sorry if you are going to hear your fathers last words but it does not give you any more rights then me.

If people do not abide by the speed limit and only leave it to the police to make people slow down then we should just do away with speed limits. Speed limits are put in place to regulate speed to what is determined to be safe for the road way you are on. BTW...that is not only determined by the area the road is in but the condition of the road and how the road is built. Most roads in this country were built (banking, lane widths, etc.) for 55 miles an hour as a max speed and can be dangerous at higher speeds. Again, your determination of a safe speed means nothing to me as it does not trump my rights to travel safely on the road.

I actually watched traffic this morning on my way in...one ofthe causes of our slow downs were folks that are impaitent and have to be int he fastest lane...the cut people off moving back and forth ttying to force thier way through 35 mph traffic....AND causing people to have to avoid thier manuvers by slamming on thier brakes. It was a 3 lane per side freewayand no lane was moving but impatience prevails regardless. Again I would like to get to work too. Whyis that your rights are so much more important then mine?

If you have an emergancy call for emergancy help.....never never rely on the roads to be clear, people to get out of your way, or your driving abilities NOT TO PUT YOURSELF, OTHERS, OR THE PERSON YOU ARE TRYING TO SAVE AT RISK.

Quick Reply: Should left lane hogs be ticketed?