General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should left lane hogs be ticketed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:30 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts
Default RE: Should left lane hogs be ticketed?

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor

I don't CARE what the speed limit is.

I almost got hit night before last. If the left lane was clear, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I don't even know how fast the lead obstacle was going while he was blocking the fast lane. He may have been going the speed limit.

All I know is the lead obstacle created an unsafe situation that almost got me killed.

That's the reality.

To all you people who think you are perfectly entitled to drive 2 mph over the limit and camp in the fast lane- if I get in front of you and go 1mph over the speed limit and hold you up I'll bet you'd be pissed off, huh ? Admit it.
Thanks for proving my point as to it's ok to disobey some of the laws whenYOU think it's ok, but everyone else shouldn't.....
OK, where did I say it was OK to disobey a law where I think it's OK ? i don't see it.

And thanks for proving my point, too.
Well you just said you would pass somebody going 2mph over the limit (meaning you would be speeding!), and then cut in front of them to 'hold them up' by going 1 mph over (which is still speeding!) Plus you would be showing signs of road rage at the same time.....
Of course, I would get in front of you legally (!)- maybe you'd slow down. People who are lousy enough drivers to to block the passing lane are also not good enough to properly maintain a steady speed. ANd now I'll edit my post to say I was going the speed limit, and not +1mph.....

And Road Rage ? Naw, I'm just driving in the left lane. It's up to you to get around me. And when you do, you'll probably be speeding more than me. And I doubt you'll do it emotion-lessly, so you'd be the cager-rager.

But seeing you jumping to blame and exaggerateDOES proveMY point.

Sorry, I'd love to continue, but one of us would get mad sooner or later. It's time for me to get on my bike and play with the brain-deprived on California's freeways. Wish me well !

And be safe. Even if it takes a little extra effort or courtesy.....

Old 09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

me and my harley ask.. "isnt the left lane for oncoming traffic?"

Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Uncle John
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RELIEVE HIGHWAY CONSTIPATION

Old 09-09-2007, 04:51 PM
anacharis
Banned

no

Old 09-09-2007, 05:00 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow . . I didn't know that all you guys never ride over the speed limit! (lies!)

Left lane is for passing . .

Old 09-09-2007, 05:18 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

If I'm doing the limit or slightly overin the fast lane and someone comes zipping up behind me and I see them before they are a couple of feet off my bumper , I will pull over for them ! If they are rude SOBs and get so close that I can't see their front bumper , they are more than welcome to pass on the right . If they choose not to pass , I tap my brakes just enough to show the brakelights . Most of the time its some rice burner and I guarantee if he gets ROADRAGE , he will not win against a 3/4 ton truck with a class V trailer hitch sticking out the back .

If on my bike I let ALL pass that want , a pissing contest between a cager and a bike?We all know who will loose .

Old 09-09-2007, 05:24 PM
06train
Road Warrior

HELL YEAH-- X-- A TRILLION!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I SPY
Cruiser

Ticketed? What? You mean we can't shoot 'em.....

Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
fxrsjohn
Cruiser

[quote]ORIGINAL: Bluerose

This has been debated several times on this forum. I agree with bcox in that the prevailing thought is that the left lane and even the car pool lanes arefor speeding. I can't stand it either. I also can't stand folks that do under the speed limit and impede trafic.

If I am on a 2 lane per side road I agree that the left lane shoud be for passing BUT if I am in the left lane doing 70 in a 65 and passing traffic to my right and you come up behind me doing 90 your need for speed DOES NOT trump my right to be passing traffic in the right lane ata reasonable speed. Nor does it mean I should move over into the slower lane impeding my progress because you think you own the road. In fact your want to speed at all does not trump my right to legally do the speed limit as slong as I am passing the traffic in the right lane.

HOV lanes are also not for speeding nor are they considered a "fast" lane but people tend to think because they are in them they have the right to go faster then all other traffic no matter what the speed. If the other traffic is doing 80 the HOV lane seems to do 95. that really ticks me off too.

As for grumpy irish again's comment....There is no such thng as a passing lane on a freeway in California.. All lanes are open for traffic though we tend to call the the number 1 lane the fast lane and do expect the faster traffic to be traving in the number 1 lane. While it is suggested you use the middle lanes for smoothest follow of traffic and pass on the left, there is no law against camping in that lane and on the freeway it is perfectly legal to pass on both sides. When there are 6 lanes of traffic I ride in the safest best flowing lane I can...I usually guage my speed to be reasonable for the lane I am in.

The California DMV hand book says:

Traffic lanes are often referred to by number. The left or "fast" lane is called the "No. 1 Lane." The lanes to the right of the No. 1 lane are called the No. 2 lane, then the No. 3 lane. etc.

Drive in the lane with the smoothest flow of traffic. If you can choose among three lanes, pick the middle lane for the smoothest driving. To drive faster, pass, or turn left, use the left lane. When you choose to drive slowly or enter or turn off the road, use the right lane.

If there are only two lanes in your direction, pick the right lane for the smoothest driving.

Pass traffic on the left. You may pass on the right only when:
[ul][*]An open highway is clearly marked for two or more lanes of travel in your direction.[*]The driver ahead of you is turning left and you do not drive off the roadway. Never pass on the left if the driver is signaling a left turn. [/ul]

[/quote

I agree with what you say

Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM
raftgyde
Road Master

I guess it's just like George Carlin said, "Anyone going slower than me is a f****** moron! Anybody going faster than me is a f****** idiot!"

Quick Reply: Should left lane hogs be ticketed?