General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should left lane hogs be ticketed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Should left lane hogs be ticketed?

Yup...headlights on, left blinker on, and drop the hammer

Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

PA is great, NC(eastern part thats all i have explored so far)has got to have some of the dumbest drivers i have ever seen and I have spent a year doing long huals in Iraq before were the traffic is coming at ya but atleast they have the commom sense to get out of the way. In NC youll see two drivers side by side for miles, people staying in the left lane expecting everyone to pass them on the right and no i dont think they should be ticketed i think they should be drugged out of there car beatin and then have thier cars towed. And to beleveive it safer thats crazy, if i am doing 70 passing someone and someone doing 90 is coming up behind me I move in asap and let them pass. its comon courtesy and might just save your own but from getting ran off the road or worste.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (07-01-2024)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:26 PM
BULLDOG88
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bulldog is going to rant.

THE LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING.
IF YOU ARE NOT PASSING, GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!
For anyone who has never let their undeveloped, non liner thinking capable brain allow the idea that there is a chance someone else may NEED to get somwere faster than you, get off of your self righteous high horse and get out of the way!

Situations DO arise when it is CRITICAL that someone gets form point A to Point B and ther is a need for speed. Like it or not, the road is the way people have to use.I will give just ONE example for the gnat brained among us.

A private messenger moving blood from one hospital to another.
Move over.
I'm not saying that everyone that wants to go 56MPH in a 55 is in this situation, but what possible justification can there be for the one time it is and some pompus a$$ won't move?

DuciDay (07-01-2024)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Why are people insisting that if you want people in the left lane to move over that it means you are also ok with speeding? I believe we should obey ALL traffic signs. So,
1) it is not ok to speed
2) it is not okay to drive in the left lane unless passing.

end of story. why is it not possible to follow both laws. If a LEO sees someone speeding, pull them over. If a LEO sees someone driving in the left lane when the right lane is open and moving, pull them over. It is possible to have boths laws at the same time.

DuciDay (07-01-2024)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,915 Likes on 816 Posts

Left lane losers drive me nuts. If you see a faster vehicle coming up on you while you're passing someone, just step on the gas, complete your pass, then get out of the way, and slow back down to whatever speed you were doing in the first place. I do this all the time. Of course that assumes people are actually checking their mirrors...

If someone wants to go faster than me, more power to them, in fact I LIKE it when people pass me and leave me with a nice buffer zone. I HATE the idiots that crawl up my *** doing a couple of mph faster than me, and then take 20 minutes to pass me because they don't seem to know what their effin' gas pedal is for!

And dimwits who obstruct traffic like this are far more dangerous than people who just drive fast (assuming the conditions of the road, vehicle and ability of the driver are not being exceeded).

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

DuciDay (07-01-2024)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:34 PM
firewatch
Cruiser

exactly.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:37 PM
daconiam
Tourer

Do not pass on the right is the key, not a requirement but the right has the most blind spots when you come up behind someone. There are plenty of signs all over the states either "left lane for passing only" or "Slower traffic stay to the right". So unless you are ACTIVELY passing someone the stay to the FAR right, not hanging out in the middle lane either. If people are passing you on the right then get your **** over, you are causing traffic problems. Just watch the road in front of you and see what a slow person in the middle or the left lane does to traffic, it is dangerous!

It does not matter why I want to pass you or go faster in the left lane. I could have a hurt kid in the back seat, I could be on my way to hear my dying Father's last words. It is not your business to hold my speed down to the limit. We pay police to take care of the speeders.People will speed regardless of anyones "holier-than-thou attitude of going the speed limit in a passing lane" just because they feel they are the moral saviors of the free world, it just makes the speeder weave all over the road to get to their destination (hospital/kids baseball game/airport/drunken party) and end up cutting me off or better yet running me off the road while trying to pass them on the right.

DuciDay (07-01-2024)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:38 PM
WenDeluxe
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

sweet bike Wen

[sm=thanx.gif] electraRICK !!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:45 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

I just don't understand the issue, I guess. It has nothing to do with the other guy, it has to do with me. If I am in the left lane and most other driver have to move around me and pass to my right, I should be courteous enough to get out of the left lane. If I am not a good enough driver/rider to to change lanes safely and be in the lane that most resembles the speed I wish to drive, maybe I should practice more before getting on the superslabs...

DuciDay (07-01-2024)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:46 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mac57

I believe that drivers who occupy the left lane constantly and will not move over are a traffic hazzard. They should, if seen by a LEO, be pulled over and ticketed. Agree or disagree?
Man, you went and started this one up again! My thread of "Slower Traffic Keep Right" went on for days and there are dozens of valid opinions out there but absolutely no consensus.

Quick Reply: Should left lane hogs be ticketed?