General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should left lane hogs be ticketed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:01 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Should left lane hogs be ticketed?

left lane /passing lane/fast lane, is you are getting passed on the right by more than one person you are in the way so I repeat GET OFF MY FREEWAY

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/B8400E8101EA4AF6A4460997DE1D585C.jpg[/IMG]

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (07-01-2024)
Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: grumpy irish again

GET OFF MY FREEWAY ...
ORIGINAL: bcox

People seem to think that the left lane is for speeding. I can't stand that.
You willNEVER find me in your way, especially in the left lane.Just saying, if the speed limit is 55 people think they can get away with 85-90 in the left lane . . . even in construction zones which REALLY pizzes me off, being that I work all day in those construction zones.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: grumpy irish again

left lane /passing lane/fast lane, is you are getting passed on the right by more than one person you are in the way so I repeat GET OFF MY FREEWAY

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/B8400E8101EA4AF6A4460997DE1D585C.jpg[/IMG]
+1 - 100%

DuciDay (07-01-2024)
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Protrucker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DocHarley
Read the signs "Slower Traffic Keep Right" for heavens sake.

When will these people learn. [:@]
I quess that you use selective reading then..........
You only seem to read & obey the signs that you want, or do you not see the signs that state the legal speed limit?
Why is it OK for you to break the speed laws, but others are not supposed to break the "more important" lane laws?

I agree that people should not "hog" the left lane, but I also think that way too many people don't have enough patience to wait for others to complete a pass & get far enough past the vehicle that they just passed to move over & be a safe distance in front of them.
Speeder's act like they are the only ones that matter & everyone else needs to get out of their way!
BS!!!
Obey the all laws, notjust the ones you like !

Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Bluerose

This has been debated several times on this forum. I agree with bcox in that the prevailing thought is that the left lane and even the car pool lanes arefor speeding. I can't stand it either. I also can't stand folks that do under the speed limit and impede trafic.

If I am on a 2 lane per side road I agree that the left lane shoud be for passing BUT if I am in the left lane doing 70 in a 65 and passing traffic to my right and you come up behind me doing 90 your need for speed DOES NOT trump my right to be passing traffic in the right lane ata reasonable speed. Nor does it mean I should move over into the slower lane impeding my progress because you think you own the road. In fact your want to speed at all does not trump my right to legally do the speed limit as slong as I am passing the traffic in the right lane.

HOV lanes are also not for speeding nor are they considered a "fast" lane but people tend to think because they are in them they have the right to go faster then all other traffic no matter what the speed. If the other traffic is doing 80 the HOV lane seems to do 95. that really ticks me off too.

As for grumpy irish again's comment....There is no such thng as a passing lane on a freeway in California.. All lanes are open for traffic though we tend to call the the number 1 lane the fast lane and do expect the faster traffic to be traving in the number 1 lane. While it is suggested you use the middle lanes for smoothest follow of traffic and pass on the left, there is no law against camping in that lane and on the freeway it is perfectly legal to pass on both sides. When there are 6 lanes of traffic I ride in the safest best flowing lane I can...I usually guage my speed to be reasonable for the lane I am in.

The California DMV hand book says:

Traffic lanes are often referred to by number. The left or "fast" lane is called the "No. 1 Lane." The lanes to the right of the No. 1 lane are called the No. 2 lane, then the No. 3 lane. etc.

Drive in the lane with the smoothest flow of traffic. If you can choose among three lanes, pick the middle lane for the smoothest driving. To drive faster, pass, or turn left, use the left lane. When you choose to drive slowly or enter or turn off the road, use the right lane.

If there are only two lanes in your direction, pick the right lane for the smoothest driving.

Pass traffic on the left. You may pass on the right only when:
[ul][*]An open highway is clearly marked for two or more lanes of travel in your direction.[*]The driver ahead of you is turning left and you do not drive off the roadway. Never pass on the left if the driver is signaling a left turn. [/ul]

Old 09-09-2007, 12:02 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

now, were trying to ticket one another here????
geeesh,, what happen to the brotherhood?

Old 09-09-2007, 12:06 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No clue Rick.

Hell, all this time, I thought it was about enjoying the ride.....not getting there as fast as ya can.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:15 PM
WenDeluxe
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vinnypie

the left lane in PA is for passing ONLY it is clearly posted. people need to be ticketed.

[sm=exactly.gif]

DuciDay (07-01-2024)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:16 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sweet bike Wen

Old 09-09-2007, 12:20 PM
blackbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's something I really like about Germany, over here it they don't care if your doing the limit or 100 km over it nobody hangs out in the left lane. Drives me nuts in the States, especially that stretch of I-45 between Dallas and Houston.

DuciDay (07-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Should left lane hogs be ticketed?