General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choppers? Love em' or hate em'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Rodent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chopers? Love em' or hate em'?

I don't care too much for the cookie cutter choppers nowadays. They look good, but in my opinion, they are short run bikes not made for a long haul.
I used to ride a 1955 Panhead rigid frame chopper with a 12" over front end back when I got out of the military (1979) and my back could handle the bumps of the road with a rigid frame.
Now I NEED a smoother ride. Plus I like having the luxaries offered by having a dresser. I wouldn't have a problem taking my dresser cross country, but I can't see anyone doing it on one of the cookie cutter bling bling choppers nowadays.
There are some out there that still put out a nice chopper which I wouldn't mind having, but there are quite a few hack-masters that think they are some great chopper building company ever since OCC showed up on the idiot channel, with OCC leading the pack.
Besides, I wouln't pay $40,000 - $75,000 for a kit bike assembled by someone that never built bikes before.
TO EACH THEIR OWN.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:33 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

After building riding and enjoying a PanHead chopper,and getting them out of my system.Actually met an married a great lady and wanted something a little more comfortable.Otherwize probably would still have one.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:48 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with JB and Rodent. Basically, This is a chopper:

This is a factory custom:

I'm not into the 4 ft wide back tire and 12 foot long bike myself. These are custom built frames not chopped frames. Some of these customs are good looking, just not for me.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:10 PM
lbjohnson1
Road Master

I like to ride and ride a lot. Custom factory "choppers" don't offer this and are way to expensive to own and operate. I do like the old school choppers that originally started out as an old Harley. Just my opinion, quess this is still why I like Harley-Davidsons so much, a bike made to ride.
I agree with GradyNichols, if its over $20,000 the bike becomes something else, I just want to get on a bike and ride!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 04:37 PM
anacharis
Banned

I'd a thought more people liked em

Old 09-09-2007, 04:43 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I liked them before they were cool... still do today, and will tomorrow.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

I love em.....and have built a bunch of them........some chops.....like some harleys......are fulgy......depends on what you do, and how you do it.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:12 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

How can a bike be called a custom ,when theres 2 dozen of them sitting on the showroom floor?. back in the day YOU made your custom bike. theres nothing "custom" about a mass produced bike.another thing that make me laugh is when these guys who buy there "custom" bike ,enter it in local bike shows and stand around acting like they did something special besides sign the papers and "BUY" it.,,

Old 09-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,309 Likes on 6,122 Posts

ORIGINAL: big cahuna

How can a bike be called a custom ,when theres 2 dozen of them sitting on the showroom floor?. back in the day YOU made your custom bike. theres nothing "custom" about a mass produced bike.another thing that make me laugh is when these guys who buy there "custom" bike ,enter it in local bike shows and stand around acting like they did something special besides sign the papers and "BUY" it.,,
Amen brother. Its silly to show a bike that you didnt build. I really dont like the look of choppers. Way too flashy for my tastes. I do like bobbers though. Stripped down, bare bones, no non-sense bikes. I dont think I would buy either a chopper or a bobber though. Too much money to pay for what is basically eye candy. I bought my bike to ride.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:47 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

So what's a Choper? Would that be similar to a Chopper. And again I will answer this poll the same way I answer all these useless type polls with a big WHO CARES!

Quick Reply: Choppers? Love em' or hate em'?