General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost got wiped out because of left-lane bandit

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Almost got wiped out because of left-lane bandit

ORIGINAL: guitarman777

Poll for the LEO's, is this or is this not a justifiable reason to pull someone over and ticket them??
I think this is a great question and a worth while poll.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot of people are not aware that it is considered common courtesy to move over to the next right lane and leave the fast lane open unless you are driving like a bat out of hell. I notice this all time in my neck o' da woods. Then there are a lot of people who are no aware of the opposite. Mix that all together and you have one big old mess. Glad you are okay and did not get hit. I guess this is where "reading" the road comes into play.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 PM
firewatch
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

around here the only use for turn signals is to hold an extra ring of keys on the holder.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:32 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A few years back, I ended up behind a guy that was camping in the left lane, running about 58 in a 65. Traffic ended up stacked behind me, as those drivers were (understandably so) nervous about passing a Cop car on the right.

I stopped the guy, and wrote him for impeding traffic. He took the ticket to court. And WON.

The Judge's opinion was this: The speed limit is set as the maximum safe speed permissable. Doesn't matter if it is a clear sunny day, and you are the only car on the HW. The speed limit is the Speed limit, period.

The guy was going OVER the posted MINIMUM speed. The judge felt that being as the guy was within 7 MPH of the max, that he was not impeding traffic, as they were only being inconvenienced by 7 mph.

On a personal note, I routinely set my cruise about about 7 over, and yea, it does frost my azz when I come up behind someobody in the left lane going the speed limit. But how can I complain, when they are going the speed limit?

It amazes me the number of people that complain about it: "HEY......that guy won't let me speed, cuz he's in my way...."

gimme a break

Old 09-09-2007, 02:49 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldBoldPilot
This is a pet peeve of mine, and has beenever since I got a ticket (in the car) for moving right to pass one of these morons. I've concluded that most left-lane bandits have no idea they're doing anything wrong. I believe they think all lanes are created equal, and as long as they're going at roughly the speed limit they can drive in any lane. This especially holds true for the dingbats yakking on cell phones, who don't even know what road they're on, much less which lane they're in.
Oh I think most of them know exactly what they're doing.

Because you just try honking at them once, and you will never get by then. Some will slow down even more. Some will move lanes to block you. Some will act like they're going to hit you.

Those assclowns need to have their licenses revoked.

Some people may think I say this because I wan't to barrel down the road at 30 over. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I typically will not go more than 4-10 over the limit, and always with the flow of traffic, unless the road is clear and I have great visibility. I won't go more than 5 over in a 65mph or less zone. I even pull off and let faster cars pass me. And I won't speed at all in a 30 mph or less zone, because of the likelihood there are kids or others walking or playing or biking on or near the road.

Speed limits must accommodate the lowest common denominator of vehicle and driver. That means a white haired grandmother in an old buick.

I don't complain one bit when I get pulled over, and I wish LEOs would enforce the limit rigorously so that we can get enough outrage in our states to change the laws.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:54 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

CSI, let me ask you a question. What does the law in Kansas actually say?

I had a license to teach MSF in three states, and in all three states the law did not say, "If you are going the speed limit or more, you can drive in whatever laneyou want."

What the law says, is "Slower trafficmove to the right." There is no mention of speed limits in that law. The offense is impeding traffic.

Here's our law in Mn:

169.15 IMPEDING TRAFFIC.
No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to
impede or block the normal
and reasonable movement of traffic
except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or
in compliance with law or except when the vehicle is temporarily unable to maintain a greater
speed due to a combination of the weight of the vehicle and the grade of the highway.

Note there is no mention of speed. If the normal flow of traffic is ten over, move the f..k over!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

A few years back, I ended up behind a guy that was camping in the left lane, running about 58 in a 65. Traffic ended up stacked behind me, as those drivers were (understandably so) nervous about passing a Cop car on the right.

I stopped the guy, and wrote him for impeding traffic. He took the ticket to court. And WON.

The Judge's opinion was this: The speed limit is set as the maximum safe speed permissable. Doesn't matter if it is a clear sunny day, and you are the only car on the HW. The speed limit is the Speed limit, period.

The guy was going OVER the posted MINIMUM speed. The judge felt that being as the guy was within 7 MPH of the max, that he was not impeding traffic, as they were only being inconvenienced by 7 mph.
IMHO, the judge in this case was wrong. Here is the Kansas law that covers this topic. The defendant in the case above was clearly in violation, but maybe he was charged with the wrongoffense (?)

8-1514
Chapter 8.--AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
Article 15.--UNIFORM ACT REGULATING TRAFFIC; RULES OF THE ROAD
8-1514. Driving on right side of roadway required; exceptions. (a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
(2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway, except that any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
(3) Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or
(4) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(b) Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic (note it does not say "speed limit" -f3) at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(c) Upon any roadway having four (4) or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic-control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under subsection (a) (2) hereof. However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.
History: L. 1974, ch. 33, § 8-1514; July 1.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:27 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I would bet, far3ast, that is pretty much the law in every state.

Thanks for taking the time to look it up. Maybe some of these other yoyo's will realize that they are in the wrong, whether or not anyone is speeding!

Old 09-09-2007, 04:52 PM
anacharis
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

careful out there

Old 09-09-2007, 06:46 PM
JeepMaker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

CSI, let me ask you a question. What does the law in Kansas actually say?

I had a license to teach MSF in three states, and in all three states the law did not say, "If you are going the speed limit or more, you can drive in whatever laneyou want."

What the law says, is "Slower trafficmove to the right." There is no mention of speed limits in that law. The offense is impeding traffic.

Here's our law in Mn:

169.15 IMPEDING TRAFFIC.
No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to
impede or block the normal
and reasonable movement of traffic
except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or
in compliance with law or except when the vehicle is temporarily unable to maintain a greater
speed due to a combination of the weight of the vehicle and the grade of the highway.

Note there is no mention of speed. If the normal flow of traffic is ten over, move the f..k over!
It says, "or in compliance with law". If the person is doing the speed limit, I think they are covered. It still annoys me though.

Quick Reply: Almost got wiped out because of left-lane bandit