General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call. I feel lucky to be alive

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:13 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Close call. I feel lucky to be alive

Anticipation becomes second nature after awhile. Good thing you were paying attention and now you can use your 2 gunes on her...j/k

Old 09-08-2007, 08:14 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"the nation's deadliest roads."

If it's in Florida, it automatically qualifies!!![:@]

Welcomeback to the cuddly, embracing streets of Palm Beach County, Fred!!! Where was the gun show, anyway? I keep wanting to go to the one at the fairgrounds but usually hearabout after the fact!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 09-08-2007, 08:14 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

Have you seen the kids who text while they drive? Thats even scarier.

I went to an open house at my dealer today.
On the way home I was in the left lane on a 4 lane highway.
Light was red and a cadillac was in front of me.
Light turned green and this idiot sat there like he was asleep.
then when he started going he would speed up and slow down, I passed him and when I looked over at him it was a big older black dude all slouched down in the seat text messegeing on his dam cell phone. JERK

Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 PM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand what your saying about using the car as a shield, but could it actually make the situation worse since the car shieled you from her vision? I had taken the msf coarse around a year ago andI had thought this wasmentioned as a no no, but I could be mistaken.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I got goosebumps reading your story, very similar thing happened to me and the wife last weekend. Glad to hear you made it out in one piece.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

I have encountered a similar situation and instead of the shield approach, I slowed down approaching the intersection until the car pulled out....I knew it was going to happen......

Old 09-08-2007, 11:12 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you keep your ride straight while the rear tire was locked up and applying the front brake hard? That is nearly impossible. Lucky you did not high side. I try to never lock up my rear brake as it makes the front brake less effective. Glad your OK, but I would practice with the rear brake and you will stop even faster.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kiltiemon

"the nation's deadliest roads."

If it's in Florida, it automatically qualifies!!![:@]

Welcomeback to the cuddly, embracing streets of Palm Beach County, Fred!!! Where was the gun show, anyway? I keep wanting to go to the one at the fairgrounds but usually hearabout after the fact!

Jim aka kiltiemon
Yea, Florida roads are a real trip. The gun show was at the Fairgrounds off Southern Blvd. next one is in October. I forget the date but if you do a search for South Florida Fairgrounds they will give you the schedule. I got there early this morning. It looked like there were more motorcycles there than there were cars. Ride safe, Fred

Old 09-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: The Dude

I understand what your saying about using the car as a shield, but could it actually make the situation worse since the car shieled you from her vision? I had taken the msf coarse around a year ago andI had thought this wasmentioned as a no no, but I could be mistaken.
Yep, it worked against me this time because 1. it had me speed up to catch it and then when he decided to turn it gave the other car an out and I was traveling at a higher speed. Normally I would try to make eye contact with the driver waiting to pull out. I'd probably also give them a blast on the airhorn and I'd be covering all my brakes. I think the key was when I couldn't see the other driver I knew that driver couldn't see me and I began to slow. I think I also covered my brakes which allowed me to get on them real fast. There are lots of things that are good to practice but just remember nothing works all the time. You have to be adaptable and aware of everything 360 degrees 100% of the time. Thats a tall order. Being lucky can also help.
Fred

Old 09-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: IRready

How did you keep your ride straight while the rear tire was locked up and applying the front brake hard? That is nearly impossible. Lucky you did not high side. I try to never lock up my rear brake as it makes the front brake less effective. Glad your OK, but I would practice with the rear brake and you will stop even faster.
You are right I think. The whole incident probably took 3 or 4 seconds. As I think back about it I did not stay straight. I think the bike was pretty much all over my lane. Again it will be interesting to go back tomorrow and check the skid mark. I don't think I had any other choice but to lock up the rear. I was sure I was going to hit her I just wanted to be going as slow as possible when I did. Once I locked up the rear (I could tell it was locked up by the screeching sound) I knew I had to keep it locked or possibly highside. And how did I keep it straight. I have no idea. I remember saying to myself. OK you locked the back, don't lock the front. I can tell you that is the furthest I have ever travelled with a locked rear tire. I'll try and give you the length of the skid mark tomorrow if I can.
Fred

Quick Reply: Close call. I feel lucky to be alive