General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fly OLD Glory Properly

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Warden
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fly OLD Glory Properly

I am wanting to fly an American Flag for a 911 Tribute ride Saturday. Can anyone tell me the proper side to mount the Flag. It will be flown by Itself. I feel it is the left side as worn on the body but would like to make sure.

Thanks,

Warden

Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 AM
mattyfatty
Cruiser
Default RE: How to fly OLD Glory Properly

stars before bars which means ur right flag should look backwards and the left should be normal. always want the stars pointing to the chest (heart)

Old 09-07-2007, 06:48 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You mount the US flag to the right, as you are sitting on the bike. The place of prominence is always to the right. When you hang a flag, vertically, the stars will be on the top left, with the downward strips to the right. If that makes sense. but to answer your question, on the right, as you sit on the bike.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 AM
bosnmate
Banned

Flag Placement On Motorcycles
Where does it go?

Flag Code Explained [hr] I am frequently asked where the US Flag should be positioned when mounted on the rear of the motorcycle. The answer is: it depends! Read on... [hr] US Flag Only If only the US Flag is on your bike, it should either be at the center, or to its "marching right" - on the right side of the motorcycle to the rider's perspective when facing forward. [hr] US Flag And One Other Flag Of Any Type If the US Flag is on your bike with another, it should be to its "marching right" - on the right side of the motorcycle to the rider's perspective. If the other flag is that of another nation, it should be the same size and at the same height of the US Flag - NO flag should ever be displayed higher than the US Flag. [hr] US Flag And More Than One Other Non-National Flag If the US Flag is on your bike with several other non-national flags (POW/MIA, ALR, Eagles, Service Banners, etc.) , it should be at center and higher than any of the other flags. [hr] US Flag And More Than One Flag Including Those Of Other Nations If the US Flag is displayed on your bike with those of any other nation, the flags should be same size and at the same height, with the US Flag to marching right (right side of the vehicle), and others arranged in alphabetical order to the left. Other flags should be arranged in order of decreasing importance - Nations first, states (in order of admittance) and territories second, military third (in order of establishment), and then any others. Again, no flag should fly higher than the US Flag, but the US Flag should be no higher than that of any other nation's displayed. [hr] Rationale I and others have argued that, since the small bike flags we use are all but invisible from the front (when mounted on the rear), the concept of "Flag's own right" should be used with the vantage from the rear of the bike. (This would place the Flag on the on left-hand, rear of your bike). This concept, unfortunately, overlooks a more applicable concept. If you equate the motion of your bike with marching, and you equate traffic with a procession, another portion of the Flag Code becomes the obvious choice for display of the Flag alone, or with another: Rule 9: "The Flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the Flag's own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line." The second portion of this rule does not work well with most motorcycles, since there usually is no means to mount the Flag in front (in the direction of travel) of the others if all flags are to be mounted at the rear of the bike. In this case, we rely on: Rule 10: "The Flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of States or localities or pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs." Included in this would be POW/MIA flags and American Legion Riders flags. Finally, if you are displaying another country's flag along with the US Flag, they both should be at the same height and the same size, and the US Flag should be displayed on the right side (again, marching right). This is basically Rule 11: "When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace. The order of precedence for flags generally is National flags (US first, then others in alphabetical order in English), State (host state first, then others in the order of admis

Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Wags1
Tourer

As others have noted. Sit on the bike. Raise your right hand. Flag goes on that side.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:13 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,094 Likes on 5,311 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wags1

As others have noted. Sit on the bike. Raise your right hand. Flag goes on that side.
I can just hear my former drill instructor: Your OTHER right, you moron!"

Old 09-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be flying mine- bought a new one just for the occasion...