General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 03:03 AM
SubZer0
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I missing something?

I went down to the local dealer, after many weeks of shopping around for a bike I settled on a new 2005 Road Glide. At the time of my purchase I had a 95" big bore kit with stage 2 203 cams, stage one SE air cleaner and SE pro slip-ons installed. Now the bike runs like crap between 1500 and 2500 RPM, missing. It is also popping on decel from any speed. I called the dealer and was told I needed to get a race tuner and some dino time to make it run right. "Am I missing something", I was told before I installed this stuff that it was covered under warranty. Doesn't the warranty cover the damn thing running right without spending another $777? I guess I must be missing something.

But I do love my new bike. its a blast to ride.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:35 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master
Default RE: Am I missing something?

I'm absolutely a fan of full disclosure on mechanical upgrades. If a shop knows you're going to need additional adjustments to make your planned upgrade work, they should be upfront about it before you jump in with the work. Doesn't mean I don't understand the unplanned results that sometimes crop up with new combinations, but, doesn't sound like you did anything wild with your upgrade...they shoulda warned ya!!

Ah, well, least you've still got the big grin going!

Enjoy the ride, and stay above 2500rpms....

Old 11-25-2005, 03:49 AM
SubZer0
Road Master

What really ticks me off is that I tried to buy the SERT when I did the upgrade and I let them talk me out of it, they said I would be wasting my money, "were going to do a stage 2 download and all will be just fine" I should of known better I guess.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:02 AM
FatBoy2five0
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 2 Posts

that sux

Old 11-25-2005, 04:47 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master

Yeah, I'd be reminding them, probably on the edge of the polite in "polite conversation", that they had advised me on the setup, and told me to forgo the upgrade they're suggesting now. At the very least, they should do the SERT install and dyno tune for cost. Sometimes the dealer forgets that customers drive the business. Might even be inclined to speak to the general manager if I felt the shop manager was unreceptive. After all, you heeded their advice and now you're unhappy with the performance. Not likely to keep you as a repeat customer in that circumstance.

Good luck, and I hope you get it worked out. Can't have Big Bird hiding in the garage!!

Old 11-25-2005, 09:07 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with biker, I would talk to the manager of the store (owner) or the regional manager, and in a civilized manner...vice ranting...(not to imply you would).

Regardless, you will get a better tuned bike with the SERT and a dyno tune than you will with the canned download.

To me it sounds as if the download you have is not right...you're sounding way too lean in those RPMs.

Mac

Old 11-25-2005, 11:03 AM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

SubZer0 my option is that it should be covered. Tell the dealer to put the parts & you will find a dealer that will put them in & make it run right

Old 11-25-2005, 11:28 AM
kar
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spend more money to make it right? Doesn't make sense to me. Seems like when you spend that kind of money for upgrades, the package ought to GUARANTY that the bike runs right when you pick it up.

I wouldn't pay to improve anything else I own, then expect to pay more to "make it right" after the fact. Why should you have to with the bike, just because it is a Harley? Just another way for the dealer to make a killing off of you.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Mac is right, I was at my dealer and they had a bike that was doing the same thing, you know what it was, the wrong download, they pulled that crap on him like they did me, oh it's the rineharts, they are junk, let us put the stock system back on, well after they did all that and the owner bought new mufflers it was nothing but the download.
Go back to the dealer and have them hook it up and check it out.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:14 PM
SubZer0
Road Master

Well I broke down and ordered a SERT on line from Chicago Harley yesterday, saved about a hundred bucks off local dealer cost. I'm going to make this thing run as it should with or without the dealers help. I've talked to them until I'm blue in the face, if I wait for them it will be well into riding season again before they get off the dime. O well live and learn.

Quick Reply: Am I missing something?