General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for all you bike cops

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 AM
DanoTime
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question for all you bike cops

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

If the sign says 35, then DRIVE 35, and there won't be a need to mis-use latin legal terms!!!
You remind me of the dude on the TV show CSI who usually says some quote from Isaac Newton to Aristotlein relation to the case and his point.

just funny is all.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 AM
LittleBrother
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my way home from school I saw a large pack of police bikes, about 20 of em (i assume they were headed to a funeral or service) and every one of them waved to me.

and they also had loud pipes on them too.

-LB

Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Loud pipes on a police bike? Not here in LA! Nothing personal but I don't wave at cops on bikes anymore than I would nod at a cop in a car. Unless its a cop that I know. And I know a few.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Blackmouth
Road Master

Get waves from bike cops all the time around here.

Had one I used to see every morning on my way to work. He'd always be parked in the same spot in a school zone using his radar. Always got a wave from him, in fact, he usually waved first.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Ronbaci
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 1of2

Why is it that motorcycle cops without exception seem to be the only group of riders that refuses to wave back to someone trying to be friendly. I always try to be friendly to them but it seems they feel they are too good to wave back. even a nod or something would be better than nothing. Is it a superiority thing?
It's nothing personal. They just don't like you! And what do you have, an inferiority thing?

Old 09-07-2007, 03:55 PM
azhole
Road Master

I don't wave at cops cause I'm usually doing a mental check to see if everythings in order cause I tend to ride a bit faster than some may deem appropriate
I do, on occasion, nod and they almost always nod back. I get an idea of how closely they are watching me if he nods back.Seems kinda like one cowboy nodding to another as they pass on the trail, and no, I'm not a cowboy as far as redneck goes, but I do ride the trail alone and in the middle of the night lookin' fer somethin' other'n a cow ta poke, and I'm using the scenario of two people passing and showing courtesy to one another.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM
AzDon
Tourer

If a cop is waving at me, I'm sure it's trouble and I do my best non- verbal "Stevie Wonder" impression as I go by, because it's not trouble if I don't see it!

Old 09-07-2007, 04:51 PM
allengator
Cruiser

I had one wave at me while standing on the side of the road.... with a radar gun in his hand....
DANG!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM
MarAgt
Banned Camp

ORIGINAL: Flatbedder

What do you call it whena legislature passes unreasonable laws and then expects hired guns to enforce those unreasonble laws? Tax revenue.
One example: Prima facie speed law says 35 MPH.
Prima facie speed law should be 45MPH.
Actual safe speed with "ideal conditions" (I.E following the 85th percentile): 55 MPH.
Motor cop writes tickets for41 MPH.
Legislature knows that most people will not fight a traffic citation. Therefore, County Board of Supervisors, City Councils, State Legistatures, push for very tight enforcement. It justifies the existance of prosecutors, cops, judges, and ever increasing law enforcment budgets. I've seen it happen time after time and it has happened to me. When I filed a motion for discovery to get the cops side ofthe story,the City Attorney did not comply. The judge was happy to grant my motion to dismiss.
WHAT???? Not only did you highjack this thread from it's original intent (yet, another waving thread), but WHAT are you talking about????

The speed limit is the speed limit; itdoesn't matter what it should be. Don't go over it and you are not wrong. If an individual LEO decides not to pull you over when you are speeding, consider it a gift... Now, don't take this as meaning I never speed, we all speed (even LEOs). I don't complain if I get caught doing it and I know I was wrong.

You are giving the legislature and the law enforcement community far too much credit. I spent 21 1/2 years as criminal investigator (in the Marine Corps)and never took the time to come up w/such fantasiful ways to screw w/people. There are far too many people screwing up all by themselves for any LEO to feel the need to create work.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:20 PM
MarAgt
Banned Camp

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
pri·ma fa·ci·e /ˈpraɪmə ˈfeɪʃiˌi, ˈfeɪʃi, ˈfeɪʃə, ˈpri-/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prahy-muh fey-shee-ee, fey-shee, fey-shuh, pree-]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun

at first appearance; at first view, before investigation.

plain or clear; self-evident; obvious. [/align]

[hr]

[Origin: 1425–75; late ME < L prīmā facié] [/align][/align][/align]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source

pri·ma fa·cie (prī'mə fā'shē -shə, -shē-ē) Pronunciation Key
adv. At first sight; before closer inspection: They had, prima facie, a legitimate complaint.

adj.[*]True, authentic, or adequate at first sight; ostensible: prima facie credibility.[*]Evident without proof or reasoning; obvious: a prima facie violation of the treaty.
[ol][/ol]
Prima Facie, as relates to speeding violations is this:

Speeding IS a Prima Facie Violation. At Face Value, without needing to demonstrate intent.

Not quite sure what you mean by "Prima Facie speed law says 35". To use the word Prima Facie more correctly, would be to say that "36 in a 35 is a prima facie violation of the speed limit"

If the sign says 35, then DRIVE 35, and there won't be a need to mis-use latin legal terms!!!
Exactly!!!

Quick Reply: Question for all you bike cops