General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $700 Speeding Fine -- Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:21 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: The $700 Speeding Fine -- Resolved

Wow......I mighta taken that one to court. If anything, you could have gotten a dismissal cuz he cited you for the wrong violation.

I have NEVER heard of that sorta crap before. I have stopped guys for speeding, and then found they had a brake light out, and the given em a break on the speed, and cited em for defective equipement (a fix it ticket), but I have NEVER heard of an Office making up a bogus charge, and then calling it a "break"

Old 09-08-2007, 06:37 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: madelf

ORIGINAL: MiniMe
I have heard of Officer stopping people for speeding and telling them they will give them a seatbelt violation instead.
[sm=confused06.gif]My... how very familiar that sounds.

So they're fishing not just for easy revenue, but grant money besides. Isn't that interesting.

But it was the Town cop issuing the ticket and the Town court enforcing it. Their offices are across the hall from each other. I don't have any delusion that I would have gotten anywhere fighting it.
Madelf,

In some states the State will provide grant money to Counties, cities, and towns to strickly enforce violations such as DUI's and seatbelt enforcement. There are stipulations to these grants. There have to be so many contacts, tickets issued for these violation and/or arrest made to maintain the grant qualifications. Officers are paid overtime by the grant to enforce those laws. Sometimes it's easier to find a speeding violation than it would be a seatbelt violation. So some Officers take it apon themselves to stop someone for speeding than right them for a seatbelt violation to maintain their stats. I find this practice to be wrong and can alsoreturn to bite the Officer because he just wrote you for a violation that you did not commit.

In Indiana a first time seatbelt violation is $25.00. The average speeding violation is about $110.00. So it's an easy decision on the violator's part. I find it unethical to write someone a ticket for something they did not do. This is why I advise people to contest the ticket. You would know better than I would about your particular jusidiction if this would be wise or not but I know here that those tickets are quickly thrown out. I hope this helps you in the future.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:47 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's well known that the portions of the German Autobahn that are essentially unrestricted in normal conditions do not have a higher accident rate than the speed restricted sections. Yes, 100mph+.

How is this possible, you might ask?

- Passing on the right is an enforceable violation in normal circumstances.
- Large vehicles must stay in the right lane. Violations of this are enforceable.
- Large vehicles are limited in their maximum permissible speed based on weight and safety rating.
- Driving in the left lane when not overtaking is an enforceable violation in normal circumstances.

The biggest cause of serious accidents is driving faster than conditions safely permit, and speed differential, not absolute speed, of vehicles.

If you are driving slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane of the interstate, while you may think that you are making the road safer by taking it into your own hands to control how others drive, in fact you are more dangerous to the lives of others on the road than ten cars going by in an open left lane at 10 or 20 mph over.

If you do not feel comfortable driving with the flow of traffic, the single best thing you can do for the safety of your passengers and the safety of others on the road is to stay in a middle or right lane where traffic is traveling at a speed you can handle. In the left lane, you are a hazard to yourself and a hazard to other drivers on the road.

Our accident rate in the U.S. isn't high because we have aggressive drivers; you haven't seen aggressive drivers until you've driven in Europe. Our accident rate is high because we allow unsafe vehicles on our roads and because our traffic laws are designed to give maximum leeway to the lowest common denominator of drivers.

Operating a multiple ton vehicle on the interstate in whichever lane you like, as slowly as you like, is not a right, it's a mistake.

EDIT:
Also, in Germany tailgating will get your license suspended.

My message to all the LEOs out there is to please enforce every infraction you see.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:25 PM
geedub
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riding a bike has changed my attitude about speed and cell phones. Slow down and stay off the phone.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: dircha

It's well known that the portions of the German Autobahn that are essentially unrestricted in normal conditions do not have a higher accident rate than the speed restricted sections. Yes, 100mph+.

How is this possible, you might ask?

- Passing on the right is an enforceable violation in normal circumstances.
- Large vehicles must stay in the right lane. Violations of this are enforceable.
- Large vehicles are limited in their maximum permissible speed based on weight and safety rating.
- Driving in the left lane when not overtaking is an enforceable violation in normal circumstances.

The biggest cause of serious accidents is driving faster than conditions safely permit, and speed differential, not absolute speed, of vehicles.

If you are driving slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane of the interstate, while you may think that you are making the road safer by taking it into your own hands to control how others drive, in fact you are more dangerous to the lives of others on the road than ten cars going by in an open left lane at 10 or 20 mph over.

If you do not feel comfortable driving with the flow of traffic, the single best thing you can do for the safety of your passengers and the safety of others on the road is to stay in a middle or right lane where traffic is traveling at a speed you can handle. In the left lane, you are a hazard to yourself and a hazard to other drivers on the road.

Our accident rate in the U.S. isn't high because we have aggressive drivers; you haven't seen aggressive drivers until you've driven in Europe. Our accident rate is high because we allow unsafe vehicles on our roads and because our traffic laws are designed to give maximum leeway to the lowest common denominator of drivers.

Operating a multiple ton vehicle on the interstate in whichever lane you like, as slowly as you like, is not a right, it's a mistake.

EDIT:
Also, in Germany tailgating will get your license suspended.

My message to all the LEOs out there is to please enforce every infraction you see.

My experience in Germany was that there was rarely an accident that did not end up involving multiple cars, and up to as many as ,aybe a hundred at times. Nothing like seeing BMWs, Mercedes,Porches and people spread all over the highway because one or two guys thought they were running a GP race.I loved driving in Germany, and I actually believe that the strict enforcement of their highway laws makes the high speeds relatively safe. My average cruising speed in unrestricted areas varied between 110-120mph on my Kawasaki Ninja. Their roads are so smooth and they flow just right as to make those speeds seem almost slow at times.

Most drivers in the US would still regulate toabout the same speeds they are at now even if we had laws similar to Germanys laws, and the reason, at least in part,is that our roads can barely be driven on because of the current state of the road surface.
[/blockquote]

Old 09-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Let me know how that works for you.
ORIGINAL: cardboard

If everybody keeps paying the fines they will keep giving tickets. I will give a lawyer who can help me 5000 before I give the city 50 cents. I want the city to spend more money trying to collect any money from me. I will sit in Jail before I give them money. Have a trial by jury. Find good lawyers and try to git the ticket dismissed for insurance purposes. All the cities are doing is throwing the money away/ The more money they git the more money they want. NO! Agree to nothin. Make them spend money and tie the courts up.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Having lived in Germany for 8 yrs, I can attest to what the above posts said about autobahn driving. The majority of it has no speed restrictions. Drive as fast as you want, provided it is reasonble and prudent for the existing road and weather conditions.

The left lane is for passing. To be more correct, the lane to the left of the one you are currenty occupying is for passing. If you are in the far right lane of three, and you pass the guy ahead of you, move back to the lane you were in.

There are fewer accidents on the autobahn than there are on the US Highway system, but those accidents are generally more severe, due to speeds. Stuff happens fast when you traveling over 150 ft per second.. At that speed, by the time you perceive and react to the danger , you have already traveled nearly 400 feet.

Germans are better drivers than Americans. Period. They Pay Attention to what is going on around them. They know their Right of Way laws, and drive accordingly. In German cities, MOST secondary intersections (ie not major roads), are uncontrolled intersections. Rarely did you see an accident at one of them, and if you did, there was probably an American involved.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:23 AM
doggiedave
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NINETY MILES PER HOUR WITH KIDS IN THE CAR! Are you a soccer mom! You have the roght to make the decision about risk factor. Your kids are not old enough to make those decisions!! Flame away!

Old 09-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: doggiedave

NINETY MILES PER HOUR WITH KIDS IN THE CAR! Are you a soccer mom! You have the roght to make the decision about risk factor. Your kids are not old enough to make those decisions!! Flame away!

Is it inherently dangerous to drive 90mph in a car? As I stated, I lived in Gemrnay for several years, and 90mph would get you run over even in the slow lane on many occasions. I'm curious as to why the numercal number is of such importance here. If our speed limit was 85 mph, 90 would not seem so bad. I think the focus on this issue is misplaced on the "number" and less focused on whether or not it is safe to drive 90 mph. There are many places in the world where it is safe, and completely legal to go well in excess of 90mph.

Here in the US, you get big tickets for it, and I get that, and I suppose I can support it. I cannot however just look at a speed of 90mph and deterine it to be dangerous. [/blockquote]