General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurricane Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005 | 09:29 PM
SMenasco
|
Road Master
Default Hurricane Bikes

I was just thinking about all those bikes in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, etc. that were covered with flood water. How many of you experienced damage? I have a friend in Houston that hooked up a trailer and pulled his WG to Oklahoma with his new pickup and Mama driving her car. Also, do you think there will be a market up North for the cleaned-up bikes similar to flooded cars? I assume bikes would not be as adversely affected as a car.

Old 11-24-2005 | 09:58 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Hurricane Bikes

In Ontario, Canada, if a bike or car has been written off by the insurance company, the numbers are no good, and you can't reregister it. Unless you are going to use the bike for parts, they are useless. Now it's an older or special bike with hard to get parts I wouldn't buy one. There are enough swap meets and shops with old parts in bins to search through to get what I need.

Old 11-24-2005 | 10:14 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

We have had ads in the papers warning about flood damaged vehicles. Basically, they'd tell a buyer to find out where the car was registered. You can find out quite a bit using the VIN and the internet.

If a bike is flooded in a huricane, it usually will be pretty messed up by saltwater. Saltwater loves aluminum, and all the electronics would be toast. Problem can be that the bike gets all cleaned up, engine & tranny flushed, but there are plenty of little spots that can't be easily cleaned. Eventually the salt water corrodes these places and bad things happen. The electrics can be cleaned and months later the salt eats things and the bike quits. Sometimes it requires a complete new electrical system, and I mean complete right down to the last wire, lamp, circuit. Mucho bucks.

Old 11-24-2005 | 11:39 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

if the person who ownded the bike collected insurance it will most likely have a salvage title and also be on a carfax report