General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson History

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Biker Bill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Davidson History

I'm sure I'll get flammed and called a troll but what the heck I like the attention.

Why is there no mention of the VRSC line of bikes in the
Harley Davidson History?

In 1990, the introduction of the FLSFT Fat Boy was a big deal. This motorcycle is considered a classic among Harley enthusiasts. In 1991, a $31 million facility was built for painting purposes in York, Pennsylvania. This helps the company grow as the need for motorcycles is at an all-time high. In 1993, Harley celebrates its 90th anniversary in Milwaukee with a family reunion parade, where an estimated 1 million Harleys are ridden. In 1995, the 30th Anniversary Ultra Classic Electra Glide is the first to introduce an electric sequential fuel injection. It was a remarkable feat for the company.
[align=center] [/align] In 1997, a new state of the art distribution center is built. After it is all said and done, everything is moved to the new building which is sized at 217,000 square feet. 1998 brought some international relations when Harley built its first foreign production warehouse in Manaus, Brazil.

In the year 2000, the new feature of fuel injections is added to the softail line of motorcycles. Later that year, Harley-Davidson Motor Company introduces the Blast, a single cylinder motorcycle. The purpose of this cycle is to be for learning purposes.

In 2001, the team of Harley Davidson Racing introduced a new member to the team: a 17 year old girl name Jennifer Snyder. She was the first woman ever to win on the Formula USA Dirt Track Series. This was big news in the company, since a woman in this sport was rare, if not none existent in the past. It was certainly a pivotal moment.

Add something like this (taken from Wikipedia)
2002 The Revolution engine, jointly designed and developed with Porsche in Germany and based on the VR1000 Harley-Davidson Super Bike engine, 2002-present, 69 cubic inches (1,131 cc), 60 degree V-twin, liquid cooled Used in VRSC (V-Twin Racing Street Custom) models. At first it was used in a single model called V-Rod. By 2006, the line had been expanded to five consumer model V-Rods, including the standard V-Rod, the "roadster-styled" Street Rod, the long and low Night Rod, and the VRSCSE² Screamin’ Eagle V-Rod with 1,250 cc big bore kit. 2007 saw the addition of further models like the VRSCDX "Night Rod Special" and the VRSCA being replaced by the VRSCAW with a 240 wide rear tire (up from the 180 rear tire on the "A")
There is also a non-street variant: the VRXSE Destroyer. The Screamin’ Eagle V-Rod Destroyer is a 165+hp, professional-level drag racing motorcycle designed exclusively for competition by Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations; it comes stock with larger 79 cui engine, air shifter and wheelie bar, among other features. The Destroyer is tuned to make sub 10-second quarter mile runs in the hands of an experienced rider.

[size="2"] Year 2003 brought the company's 100th anniversary. With over a hundred years of solid growth, Harley-Davidson can be admired as a company as well as a motorcycle producer. They have done nothing but grow over the years, and can be admired for being solid and reliable. Supplying our military with motorcycles in two wars, and supplying America with its toy ride, Harley-Davidson Motor Company is truly to be admired. Even today, Harley-Davidson is the prominent supplier of motorcycles in America. They are here to stay, and have 100 years to prove it. Whether you like motorcycles or not, one has got to admit that Harley-Davidson Motor Company is the best motorcycle com

Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Biker Bill
Cruiser
Default RE: Harley Davidson History

BUMP

Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Biker Bill
Cruiser

TTT

Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because the VRSC is not a real Harley.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:08 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps because the Vrod signals the end of 100 yrs of the air cooled 45deg Harley engine. It may be the future of the company but it leaves me with a hollow feeling about Harleys to come. Tradition has been the mainstay of Harley loyalty. Maybe that all means nothing to the up and coming generations of riders but I think all us old timers will miss our "Airheads" in the future. I just hope I can always get parts for my Evo.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Biker Bill
Cruiser

ttt

Old 12-26-2007, 04:04 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

I won't "flamm" you, but will relay that it is considered in very poor taste to bump your own thread 3 times. Of course, if it had been posted in the correct section to begin with, there might've been more responses. I'll move it and we'll see what happens.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:34 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

This was also the year that the famed Sportster gets the exclusive Revolution engine.

H'mmm, the Sportster and the Vrod engines are both named the same?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:46 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Perhaps because the Vrod signals the end of 100 yrs of the air cooled 45deg Harley engine. It may be the future of the company but it leaves me with a hollow feeling about Harleys to come. Tradition has been the mainstay of Harley loyalty. Maybe that all means nothing to the up and coming generations of riders but I think all us old timers will miss our "Airheads" in the future. I just hope I can always get parts for my Evo.
When it gets to the point where the old timers don't remember the old ways Harley will be done as a company.
They will no longer be able to compete.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:00 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can we all say troll?

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson History