General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Harley-Davidson Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:16 PM
lwyer
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Japan Harley-Davidson Dealership

Does anyone know if you buy a 2008 FXSTC from a Japanese Dealership can this bike be shipped to the USA,say a year or two later?If this can be done, what has to be done to get Washingto State tags put on it?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:40 PM
CornbredNE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Japan Harley-Davidson Dealership

Since I'm just stepping out on a limb here and assuming that you're military, I'll ask one of the riders here on the base that bought his Fatboy overseas and then registered it here.

I know one of the problems he had was that when he did get it to the states here 3 years later he had to pay sales tax out of pocket to the state of WV to be able to title and license it...cost him like $700.

David

Old 09-06-2007, 12:19 AM
lwyer
Stage III

Thanks David,
Not military but work with then and I'm on a base in Japan. Do you know if, hehad to change anything? I kind figure I would have to pay state tax, they always want their money. Just wonder if any parts needed to be change and how much trouble getting title change back to US.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Gadget
Tourer

Shipping an international spec bike back to the US will cost you around $4000. That money goes to swapping parts such as the headlights, speedo etc that must be done by a customs agent once the bike arrives back in the US along with bond fees and a bunch of other fees. Even if you did the work yourself prior to shipping it, they'll still charge you for it. Some of my friends shipped their int'l spec bikes back and it took over 6 months and a lot of money before they were even allowed to get their bikes. You can find out more info by going to the DOT's website.

If you are SOFA status, then you can buy a US spec bike from AAFES and ship it back without going through the customs hassles...If you are not SOFA, you can buy a US spec bike from someone who wants to sell one and ship that back too. It will be a while before the Rocker's are available from AAFES in Japan though. Another option is buying from AAFES for US delivery...

As someone else mentioned - you'll get stuck with paying taxes on the bike once you go to register it in the US too whether it's a US or int'l spec bike.

Which base are you at? I'm in Okinawa...

Old 09-06-2007, 02:00 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned

I'd think the main difference would be if it was a US spec bike or not. Us military guys get to ship our bikes back as household goods, but am not sure what your situation is. The sales tax statements are correct and will depend on what State ytou register it in. I bought an AAFES Overseas Sales bike last year in Baghdad and had it delivered Stateside, to my dealer in NC. Once I got back and took delivery, I had to pay about $350 out of pocket for registration/sales tax. I saved a lot of $$$ on the purchase thru AAFES though, so it didn't bother me too much to pay the $350.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Gadget
Tourer

07RG - Buying a new bike from a Japanese dealer will be an international spec bike. The $$$ I mentioned did NOT include shipping.As far as active duty folks go, if it's an international spec bike, it must be shipped as a POV and can not legally be put in HHG cause it has to go through the customs process at the POV port of entry. Bikes bought here in Japan through AAFES are US spec; active duty can ship the bike back in HHG if it's US spec. But lwyr isn't active duty so shipping the bike back to the US will be at his cost unless he's civil service with HHG entitlement and/or his company pays if he's a contractor...and as a reminder - the shipping is separate from the $4K I mentioned earlier...two good friends of mine shipped int'l spec bikes back as POVs and paid through the nose to be able to ride them back in the US. The only reason they paid the $$ was cause the bikes were 100 year anniversary bikes - otherwise they would have sold them and used the customs money to help buy new ones.

If I were lwyr, I'd buy the bike through the Japanese dealer if he wants it now, then sell it on the Japanese market before leaving. Hogs over here keep their value well - it's not uncommon to see 10-20 year old hogs going for $20K...otherwise, if he's gonna be here a while, I can hook him up with an AAFES rep who can sell him a Rocker as soon as AAFES gets their allocation for Japan delivery...he'll have to wait until next spring to get it but if it's a Rocker he wants...

Enjoy...

Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned

Gadget, didn't know all of that. I'm like you, might be better to buy one there and sell before he leaves. I could only imagine they keep their value better overseas.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

I guess bottom line comes down to what is the VIN on it is it 1HD or 5HD? 1 is a US model and can be shipped with no issues. The 5HD can be done but good luck. Most guys here that buy Japanese "International Models" end up selling prior to rotation due to the PITA involved in shipping. Best bet is if you want to take bike back to US buy a 1HD from a SOFA status personnel. In order for a SOFA to sell "Legally" they must registiure the bike for a minumin of two years then they can sell to "Non SOFA". So with that find a SOFA buddy have them buy the bike and registure it in their name for 2 years then do paperwork to transfer to your name and your in like Flynn. If not good luck in my 10 years here have seen one guy do it and he went thru hell. Sad thing is he shipped same bike back to Japan and went through even bigger PITA. The Japanese are stuck in the 1950's when it comes to paperwork and bending rules. Good Luck.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Blade68
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Gadget

07RG - Buying a new bike from a Japanese dealer will be an international spec bike. The $$$ I mentioned did NOT include shipping.As far as active duty folks go, if it's an international spec bike, it must be shipped as a POV and can not legally be put in HHG cause it has to go through the customs process at the POV port of entry. Bikes bought here in Japan through AAFES are US spec; active duty can ship the bike back in HHG if it's US spec. But lwyr isn't active duty so shipping the bike back to the US will be at his cost unless he's civil service with HHG entitlement and/or his company pays if he's a contractor...and as a reminder - the shipping is separate from the $4K I mentioned earlier...two good friends of mine shipped int'l spec bikes back as POVs and paid through the nose to be able to ride them back in the US. The only reason they paid the $$ was cause the bikes were 100 year anniversary bikes - otherwise they would have sold them and used the customs money to help buy new ones.

If I were lwyr, I'd buy the bike through the Japanese dealer if he wants it now, then sell it on the Japanese market before leaving. Hogs over here keep their value well - it's not uncommon to see 10-20 year old hogs going for $20K...otherwise, if he's gonna be here a while, I can hook him up with an AAFES rep who can sell him a Rocker as soon as AAFES gets their allocation for Japan delivery...he'll have to wait until next spring to get it but if it's a Rocker he wants...

Enjoy...
This is some great information. Thanks for posting. Just bought my 07 Low Rider from AAFES here at Kadena and you just saved me a call to TMO. By the way, where did you get that sticker bracket on the front of your bike? I can't stand having the road tax sticker on the forks...

Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Gadget
Tourer

Yeah Blade - your bike will go back in HHG but you can ship it as a POV if you want. Most folks do the HHG thing cause it's easier. The movers will build a special crate for it too.

The sticker plate I got from Al's back when he had a shop on gate 2 street but Skidmark sells them now - he used to be the mechanic at Al's...the plate is only $6 I think - real cheap - he'll even put it on for you.I'll pm you my numbers - give me a shout sometime and we'll go ride...

Quick Reply: Japan Harley-Davidson Dealership