Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vanson leather....cheap looking

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
jockdawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vanson leather....cheap looking

A buddy of mine were at a BMW shop today(Bob's BMW) and they had some Vanson leahers there. I have only heard good things about Vanson and was really suprised how they looked and felt. They were really stiff and almost shiny, looked like the cheap stuff you pick up at a rally. It definitly was not cheap though, over $500. Does it eventually break in? Has anyone else had the same observation as me? Not trying to bag on anybody with Vanson leathers just curious and sharing my observaton.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:35 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Vanson leather....cheap looking

Ive never seen Vanson leathers so I cant really comment on them but Fox Creek leather is the $hit.... www.foxcreek.com

Chris

Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know about Vanson, but I've owned a number of 'higher end' jackets over the years, and my favorite jacket by far is an old Wilson jacket that I've had for years and years.

It's been constantly mistreated over the years, sun, rain, hail, snow, and still looks about as good as the first day I owned it.. I prefer it over any HD branded jacket that I currently own, or have owned in the past.

But then again, Wilson, Icon and Alpinstar were some of the pioneers of the 'motorcycle jacket business'.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:21 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,030 Likes on 5,303 Posts

I know what you mean. I've had a couple of Vanson jackets over the years, but have always ended up selling them after a season or so. Their quality is undeniable (and they do break in eventually), but I found them very uncomfortable off the bike and I never liked their "feel."

That said, my Fox Creek jacket fit like I'd owned it for 20 years on the day I got it, and I'll never sell it.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Funny you should mention that about Vanson. Just yesterday my wife and I were out riding, and while we were having coffee at a local shop in walks this guy with aVanson jacket. I commented to my wife that nothing looks worsethan a new leather jacket. Geez, maybe it wasn't new.

I've worn Schott bomber jackets for years, my newest and current one is 12 years old. It weighs a ton and wears like iron (except for the cloth pocket inserts, which I've had to replace twice so far, and they're due for another replacement). The only downside is that it's not designed for riding, so it's not vented. I just open up the zipper some when it's hot and I get enough airflow that way. I like the style better than traditional motorcycle jackets, it has elastic cuffs at the ends of the sleeves so nothing can fly up my sleeves (including cold air in winter), and it looks good with bugs on it. And it's made in NYC.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37821/2041F0D799D242ADA153E2771178F410.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37821/B1BD1878689A4FD8B26E626904D13E9B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Vanson is good....so is Bates or Alpinstar's.....but if you want the real deal good $hit.....check out Fox Creek Leather. They are a bit less money, and a bunch more quality!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:25 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i,ve worn a vanson now since 87 its been through almost everything u can imagine,wet who knows how many times,snow ,down a couple times saved me some serious road rash.Your supposed to put your own wear on it they all used to come shiney.I have to laugh remembering a friend callin me to tell me he looked everywher for a new leather[this was in 91] said all the shops had looked wore out,and new leathers are supposed to be shiny.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:59 PM
tank69
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vanson kicks A$$, they make some of the best leathers around, especially their suits for racning.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Azgunner
Tourer

Vanson is absolutely one of the best. They make racing leathers. I took my Vanson Model C in to get a snap replaced & the leather guy commented on how it was the thickest & heaviest leather he'd seen in a long time & this guy has seen a lot of leathers over the years. They don't really fit as well when you're off the bike because they are designed for riding not walking. The sleeves are purposely canted forward a litlle to accomodate your position while riding.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:56 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer

Vanson is huge with the SportBike scene. I have a Vanson for my medium-weight jacket cause it's thin and light weight. The quality is good–to good. It still looks brand new and shiny that's the one thing I don't like about it. The leather they use is treated with Teflon to help you slide if you hit the ground. Sounds crazy but I hope I never need to know if it works. The venting system works great through.

Quick Reply: Vanson leather....cheap looking