General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be Careful Wearing Those Polarized Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:02 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Be Careful Wearing Those Polarized Glasses

I do wear polarized glasses and never heard of that incident happeneing but will certainly be wary of that.Thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dog155

I do wear polarized glasses and never heard of that incident happeneing but will certainly be wary of that.Thanks
I wear them all the time and have never had a problem. I guess I have to pay more attention.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:28 AM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, polarized sunglasses create a "rainbow" effect when looking through some helmet visors.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS

Never really thought about it. I wonder if mine are or not. Probably not. They cost 10 bucks
HEY NOW!!!

Don't be making fun of $9.95 polarized glasses....

Seriously, KD 'The Original Biker Shades' now makes a polizared version, and you can get them for less than $10.00...

Over the years I've probably worn the KD's more than anything else, and their polarized version works perfectly.... ((Just ask my friend, as he was wearing them)).. [8D]

Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 AM
celticgent
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DanDeuce

One thing that really bothers me is when I wear my 3/4 helmet with a flip-up shield , the shield is tinted and makes EVERYTHING look like its painted in that chameleon paint . Just looking at the shield from the outside you can see a rainbow effect .
yeah, i noticed this too...i wore polarized through a helmet visor and it made things look weiiiird.

i was hoping this wasn't only ME that this was happening to.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 AM
L3ft2
Road Captain

Thanks for the heads up! [sm=shades.gif]

Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 AM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS

Never really thought about it. I wonder if mine are or not. Probably not. They cost 10 bucks
HEY NOW!!!

Don't be making fun of $9.95 polarized glasses....

Seriously, KD 'The Original Biker Shades' now makes a polizared version, and you can get them for less than $10.00...

Over the years I've probably worn the KD's more than anything else, and their polarized version works perfectly.... ((Just ask my friend, as he was wearing them)).. [8D]

+1 on the cheap shades/eyeprotection, I lose um or scratch um up too quick. I prefer the one's with the foam insert, keeps my eyes from watering.

When I'm on my bike, polarized shades make the road surface look like it has black ice patches on it... tar snakes etc look like standing water.Just the opposite when driving my truckthey are a must have to block the glare from the windsheild, and they arecriticalequipment when I'm fishing.

anyone ever sit in front of their monitor, while wearing their poloarized shades and tilted their head one way or the other ..
you'll getone spot where cant see anything, almost like an eclipse heh (c:

SB

Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got Poloirzed Oakley 200.00 glasses. Being a fisherman I been wearing polarized glasses for over 20 yrs. Polarized glasses take the glare off water, glass, chrome and everything.
I can still seethe water. I will still wear my polarized glasses. Never had a problem seeing during the day wearing them. The army pronounced me color blind in 1969.
I really like the ploarized glasses. Takes the glare off auto windsheilds and everything. If I remember right some of the tinted glass in cars might be polarized too.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i wear the transt type and they throw you off a little .but for the most part i wear reg sun glasses.i only need the other for reading the fine print crap. i'ts just so much fun to get old .

Old 09-04-2007, 03:09 PM
officespacedout!
Banned

ORIGINAL: celticgent

ORIGINAL: DanDeuce

One thing that really bothers me is when I wear my 3/4 helmet with a flip-up shield , the shield is tinted and makes EVERYTHING look like its painted in that chameleon paint . Just looking at the shield from the outside you can see a rainbow effect .
yeah, i noticed this too...i wore polarized through a helmet visor and it made things look weiiiird.

i was hoping this wasn't only ME that this was happening to.

The reason you see the chameleon/holographic thing through your visor/face shield is because there is an anti-fog and anti-reflective coating on the inside of the lens. Most helmets with face shields or ¾ shields have this so that when riding into the sun or headlights of a car you don’t get a holographic image of your face.

OLDFENDERGUY is partially correct with his assumption that the Polarized lens is the culprit but I would not throw out your polarized glasses on that point alone. Polarized is an anti-glare coating and if you ride with glasses that do not have an anti-glare or anti-reflection coating then the bigger issue will come in the form of eye fatigue (during longish rides in bright conditions) which will be way worse in the long run for your safety and eye sight longevity. With the amount of glare that comes off the road you are adding about 20% more excess harmful UV-A and UV-B light to the spectrum that is impacting your eye’s.
Polarized lenses automatically reduce the amount of harmful UV rays by typically 60% and if you have glass lenses they do not automatically block UV rays were as Polycarbonate lenses do it naturally (it is inherent in the material)
Polarized does not make liquids or highly reflective material completely invisible it just takes out the excessive glare… so wearing polarized is fine as long as you know that liquids will look more natural to your eye’s and not stand out… because polarized cuts out most of the glare it is removing excess glare from the road as well so liquids and more reflective materials will still stand out but not as blindingly. You will do your eye’s a favor by wearing polarized, anti-reflective coated, anti-fogging coated and dark lens colors while riding on bright days… your eye’s will have much better reaction time as well be less likely to start blurring or giving you headaches on long days.

Quick Reply: Be Careful Wearing Those Polarized Glasses