General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear Buds

Search this Thread

Old Today | 05:28 AM
strokelessone
|
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Default Ear Buds

I've never wore ear buds, but have seen several people suggest wearing them instead of sinking thousands into their their stereo systems on their bikes. Are you able to hear traffic around you while wearing them at a normal volume? Seems counter intuitive to wear them especially while riding a bike where you would want to be able to hear what is going on around you. I know several years ago there was a big issue with wearing them while driving a tractor trailer and really limited drivers as to what wireless communication equipment you could wear while driving and that laws were made because of it. It also seems that most states have laws against wearing headphones and stuff while driving.

Old Today | 05:46 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member

I have worn them for years and don't have an issue hearing traffic near/around me.

The following 3 users liked this post by YZR:
86glider (Today), Captain Itch (Today), strokelessone (Today)
Old Today | 07:15 AM
KK0G
Tourer

For decades I've heard from others that it's illegal to wear headphones while driving/riding yet in all that time I've never seen an actual law stating that, never heard an authority state that it's illegal, nor ever heard of anyone being cited for it. I've never heard that wearing earplugs while riding is illegal, in fact just the opposite, they're recommended as a safety device to protect your hearing because of the fact they reduce ambient noise..... just like ear buds would do and I have no problems hearing traffic while wearing them. It's a non-issue in my opinion, I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

The following users liked this post:
strokelessone (Today)
Old Today | 07:21 AM
86glider
Road Warrior

I wear the Tozo ear buds,wireless to my phone. They work great,never leave home without them.

strokelessone (Today)
Old Today | 07:22 AM
kj68
Advanced

I too have worn earbuds for years. A much better option than spending hundreds of dollars upgrading the stereo system, imo! I've tried speakers in my helmet, but I've never been able to hear them very well.
I can still hear traffic around me and my Rinehart 4.5" slip-ons.

strokelessone (Today)
Old Today | 07:34 AM
strokelessone
|
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by KK0G
For decades I've heard from others that it's illegal to wear headphones while driving/riding yet in all that time I've never seen an actual law stating that, never heard an authority state that it's illegal, nor ever heard of anyone being cited for it. I've never heard that wearing earplugs while riding is illegal, in fact just the opposite, they're recommended as a safety device to protect your hearing because of the fact they reduce ambient noise..... just like ear buds would do and I have no problems hearing traffic while wearing them. It's a non-issue in my opinion, I wouldn't worry about it in the least.
I've never tried wearing them, was just asking those that did. may start wearing them on longer trips though.

There are definitely laws in most states I believe, not worried about it for the most part though.

Old Today | 07:39 AM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior

My wife uses the wired earbuds that came with her iPhone. (phone in jacket pocket) If I ride the Ultra, it has stock stereo that I listen to so N/A. On the Road King, I bought some cheap (less than $20) wireless earphones that install inside helmet. 3/4 helmet with face shield. Phone in pocket. None of those options have great sound quality, especially above about 65mph, but they are cheap so you can try them risk free. And you can hear other vehicles etc around you no problem. Wifes bike (Sporty) has V&H straight shots with quiet baffles. Other bikes have stock exhaust.

strokelessone (Today)
Old Today | 08:03 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member

A handfull of states has outlawed driving or riding with headphones, which I assume means over the ear but likel also includes in the ear earbuds. In particular, it is illegal in California, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Virginia, Washington.

Some earbuds and ear plugs for hearing protection allow some outside noises to be heard so that horns, sirenes etc can be heard as a matter of safety to the rider / driver and those that mayb be affected.

I have a headset in my full face helmet that I can use to listen to music or take a call. I can still head outside noises, but I don't crank up the volume either. I don't use it often, but it can nice on longer road trips.

Paul

Old Today | 08:17 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rob Harper
My wife uses the wired earbuds that came with her iPhone. (phone in jacket pocket) If I ride the Ultra, it has stock stereo that I listen to so N/A. On the Road King, I bought some cheap (less than $20) wireless earphones that install inside helmet. 3/4 helmet with face shield. Phone in pocket. None of those options have great sound quality, especially above about 65mph, but they are cheap so you can try them risk free. And you can hear other vehicles etc around you no problem. Wifes bike (Sporty) has V&H straight shots with quiet baffles. Other bikes have stock exhaust.
That is one old iPhone.

Old Today | 08:33 AM
Colorado Mac
Stellar HDF Member

I have used ear buds for years & never had an issue with LE over wearing them. The trick is to set the volume so you can hear over the sound of your motor, but not so loud that you can't hear surrounding sounds.

strokelessone (Today)

Quick Reply: Ear Buds