General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tube to Tubeless? And the Rabaconda is Great

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2024 | 01:43 PM
686 Shooter
|
Tourer
Default Tube to Tubeless? And the Rabaconda is Great

I bought a Rabaconda street bike tire changer. No doubt about it this thing is slick. It makes changing a tire super easy, no more fighting with tire irons on the floor. It's expensive, but I think it's worth it. If you're on the fence about getting one, I say do it.

But I hate tire tubes. Hate them with a passion. Have any of you used a sealant, or sealing tape to turn a tube type rim to tubeless? I am seriously considering trying this but would like to get some firsthand feedback it I can. If you have tried this, can you please tell me what you used to seal the spokes? I've seen videos that have used marine sealant and others that have used various sealing tape. How did it work for you? Are you still running the tubeless conversion? And if so, how many miles have you put on?

Thanks in advance for the info.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (10-13-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 02:04 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

I looked into it some years ago.
Saw where a good number came up with idea's how to it.
The 2 that went ahead spent a lotta time getting the spokes to seal.
The way they did it added some weight and had a tuff time getting the wheels balanced well.
I have always run a mag or solid on a bike I did much touring on.

WP

The following 2 users liked this post by WP50:
686 Shooter (10-13-2024), mikefmoto (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 03:09 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Trying to make a wheel that is designed for tubes to be tubeless to me is an exercise in futility. Why?

Is it because you don't know how to install tubes, or don't like the effort involved?

Installing tubes into tires takes more effort, but there's a couple of tricks that helps.

Old Yesterday | 03:46 PM
KK0G
Tourer

I did almost exactly what you did and are contemplating last winter, I bought a Rabaconda and I sealed my spoked wheels. Yes the Rabaconda is worth every penny, I love it.

I sealed my wheels with 3M 5200 Marine sealant and have had no leaks in over 10,000 miles so far. Just make sure you thoroughly clean the rim and spoke nipples..... spotless clean. I also adjusted spoke tension and trued the wheels before sealing them because once they're sealed they're sealed. If they need adjusted in the future which is likely I'll put the wire wheel on my grinder and get the old sealant off and reseal afterwards. Now yes I've dealt with inner tubes ever since I was kid on bicycles and I couldn't tell you how many tubed dirt bike tires I've dismounted, fixed, replaced, mounted etc, so why would I go through all this trouble to avoid tubes? One reason; you can't plug a tubed tire. I ride my Softail all over the country and if I get a flat tire 600 miles from home I'm screwed if it has an inner tube.

The following 2 users liked this post by KK0G:
686 Shooter (Yesterday), djl (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 04:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

I have attached the way I sealed the rims on my BMW R9T; figured it it worked on an adventure bike it would work well on a street bike. I sealed those rims because BMW in their infinite wisdom decided to sell this roadster with tubed tires; what a joke. I ride in south the central Texas and the idea of repairing a tubed tire flat in the hill country in July at 100*+ on the side of a two lane black top was unacceptable. I didn't even know the bike came with tubed tires when I bought it. Anyway, I digress. Full disclosure, I did have a slow leak in the front tire and would have to add a few pounds of air after the bike was parked for a week or so. Pulled the front wheel, dropped it in a tub of water and followed the bubbles, marked that spoke, remove the tire, dug out the sealant back to the two adjacent spikes and resealed; no issues after that. IMHO, worth the time, effort and repairing my screw up.
https://cyb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/...less/i-BjwM3St

The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
686 Shooter (Yesterday), KK0G (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 04:23 PM
686 Shooter
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by LoneBone
Trying to make a wheel that is designed for tubes to be tubeless to me is an exercise in futility. Why?

Is it because you don't know how to install tubes, or don't like the effort involved?

Installing tubes into tires takes more effort, but there's a couple of tricks that helps.
I've probably installed 1,000 or so tubes in my life. and the little extra effort is not the issue either. My issue is a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. You can't plug a tube on the side of the road to get you going again. I guess a guy could carry a bottle of that gooey **** you squirt into the tire to temporarily seal things up. But I've seen it used, and it's hit and miss at best with a tube tire.

I use my Heritage as a touring bike, and my wife rides a Kawasaki that has spoked rims as well. I did have a Street Glide, but my old knees couldn't do it anymore. But the lower seat height and little less weight of the Heritage was the answer. It sucks getting old.

Basically, I want the best of both worlds. The vintage look of spokes and the ability to throw a plug in the tire and get back to civilization.

KK0G (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 04:31 PM
686 Shooter
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by KK0G
I did almost exactly what you did and are contemplating last winter, I bought a Rabaconda and I sealed my spoked wheels. Yes the Rabaconda is worth every penny, I love it.

I sealed my wheels with 3M 5200 Marine sealant and have had no leaks in over 10,000 miles so far. Just make sure you thoroughly clean the rim and spoke nipples..... spotless clean. I also adjusted spoke tension and trued the wheels before sealing them because once they're sealed they're sealed. If they need adjusted in the future which is likely I'll put the wire wheel on my grinder and get the old sealant off and reseal afterwards. Now yes I've dealt with inner tubes ever since I was kid on bicycles and I couldn't tell you how many tubed dirt bike tires I've dismounted, fixed, replaced, mounted etc, so why would I go through all this trouble to avoid tubes? One reason; you can't plug a tubed tire. I ride my Softail all over the country and if I get a flat tire 600 miles from home I'm screwed if it has an inner tube.
Originally Posted by djl
I have attached the way I sealed the rims on my BMW R9T; figured it it worked on an adventure bike it would work well on a street bike. I sealed those rims because BMW in their infinite wisdom decided to sell this roadster with tubed tires; what a joke. I ride in south the central Texas and the idea of repairing a tubed tire flat in the hill country in July at 100*+ on the side of a two lane black top was unacceptable. I didn't even know the bike came with tubed tires when I bought it. Anyway, I digress. Full disclosure, I did have a slow leak in the front tire and would have to add a few pounds of air after the bike was parked for a week or so. Pulled the front wheel, dropped it in a tub of water and followed the bubbles, marked that spoke, remove the tire, dug out the sealant back to the two adjacent spikes and resealed; no issues after that. IMHO, worth the time, effort and repairing my screw up.
https://cyb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/...less/i-BjwM3St
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm almost talked into it. I've heard that some have had great luck using this 3M sealing tape 3M™ Extreme Sealing Tape 4412N | 3M Canada I'm noy sure which way I'm gonna go, but it looks like either would work.

Old Yesterday | 07:48 PM
Tom H
Road Captain

Before you jump into this. Do some research on the rim design for tube and tubeless and the tire choice.

I have read that some tube rims do not play well with going tubeless. The rim can cause a leak.

Just something to think about,
Tom

686 Shooter (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:58 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 686 Shooter
Basically, I want the best of both worlds. The vintage look of spokes and the ability to throw a plug in the tire and get back to civilization.
I get what you're saying.

I've ridden to the Canadian border from Texas, and take several trips a year, Including North Carolina every Oct. Had to cancel this year because of the hurricane and the terrible flooding in N.C.

Got my motorcycle license in 1981. In over 40 years I've had 2 blowouts on road trips while several hundred miles from home, both times rear tire. I have a tire machine in my shop and keep good rubber on my 4 Harleys.

2 blowouts in 40+ years of riding, worrying about flats and "getting back to civilization" is not something I stress over.