General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi truck tires & motorcyclists

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 855 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Semi truck tires & motorcyclists

Decades ago I took a rider's safety course. One of the things I remember was the instructor telling us to avoid riding next to or close behind a semi because if a tire blows it could be quite dangerous. Since then I've ridden over 200K miles and never saw a truck tire blow...until yesterday. I was on the outside lane of the interstate and approaching my exit. A semi was in the inside lane about 100 feet in front of me. Just as I crossed the line onto the exit ramp I heard a loud explosion. A right rear trailer tire blew up, filling the air with debris and sending big chunks of tire spinning all over the outside lane...right where I would have ridden if not for exiting the highway. I was rather shocked at how loud it was and how much junk it spread on the roadway. I figured that 100 feet between us was plenty of space, but I'm going to give them another 100 feet or so! Stay safe out there!!

The following 8 users liked this post by Frank the Real Biker:
07UltraGuy (Yesterday), aharleyrider (Today), Goose_NC (Yesterday), harpwrench (Yesterday), JustinC13A (Yesterday), MarlinSpike (Yesterday), Ohio HD (Today), WP50 (Today) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 928 Likes on 475 Posts

I saw that happen on a tri-axle dump truck once. I was plenty far enough back. He passed me going about 10 over the speed limit (55mph zone). I heard the boom with windows up and radio on. It looked like a bomb went off under the truck. Dust and debris everywhere. I wouldn't wanna be anywhere near that on a bike. Glad to hear you were unscathed.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,283 Likes on 6,573 Posts

My wife and I were on I-77 in West Virginia a few years ago, heading home to Texas from North Carolina. I came up on a loaded dump truck, and he was hauling ***. I had my cruise set on 80 and I couldn't pass him, was right behind him. I own construction equipment and trailers, and I felt like this ******* was going way too fast in that heat (temps were in the 90's) I punched it and shot around the idiot and as soon as I passed the front of his truck I heard the explosion. Looked in my mirrors and there was **** flying all over the highway where I had just been, with my wife on back.

He pulled over on the shoulder, still throwing rubber all the way.

Don't ride beside or mess around big rigs. Several things can happen to you and they are all bad!

The following 8 users liked this post by LoneBone:
07UltraGuy (Yesterday), 86glider (Today), aharleyrider (Today), Architect (Today), Goose_NC (Yesterday), leftyjm (Today), pgreer (Today), Tommy C (Yesterday) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,804 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Yep, if I need to pass a semi, I always do it very quickly. I don't ever ride behind or along side a semi on my bike.

The following 4 users liked this post by jamala00:
07UltraGuy (Yesterday), 2whlr4life (Yesterday), GalvTexGuy (Yesterday), Goose_NC (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,921 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Yep, if I need to pass a semi, I always do it very quickly. I don't ever ride behind or alongside a semi on my bike.
I do the same thing, even in a car!
My dad told me once about the time one of his tires took the front fender off of a car. I always wonder about folks who will drive for hours right next to a semi without a care in the world. That what-if moment could be really bad.

I had a re-cap come off on the school bus I was riding on years ago. I just happened to be sitting over the tire well. When that thing came off it slapped the bottom of my feet --- hard!

Last edited by Tcrafty; Yesterday at 05:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
harpwrench
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 119 Posts

They blow because they get hot, you can smell it before it happens

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,315 Likes on 2,671 Posts

not on my bike, but saw/heard one blow on the interstate just as I passed
witnessed the same as others....YUGE BOOM, looked in the mirror to see the tire shred to pieces

would be a real bad day to get hit with a "gater" period
Be possible (likely?) death on a bike

..L.T.A.

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,232 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Yep, if I need to pass a semi, I always do it very quickly. I don't ever ride behind or along side a semi on my bike.
Those are my rules, too!

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,404 Likes on 860 Posts

Around 2015 I was headed home on the Dyna, medium heavy traffic. I've been riding for 58 years and always play the What If in my head, ALWAYS find an escape route in traffic. Center lane 100 feet behind a semi, right n left cars I could reach out and touch. Wouldn't ya know it, semi left rear tire blew out. I squeezed in to the right with 1 foot to spare. BAM, BAM and shake wildly. OH #@%&!!! Got off on the next exit and checked for damage. Left 2 week old leather saddlebag lid was almost ripped off, just a flapping in the breeze. My Guardian Angel was working overtime for me.

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,737 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Have seen a few of those tires throw the tread, would not want to get hit with a 50lb chunk of rubber.

Quick Reply: Semi truck tires & motorcyclists