General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novelty helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,422 Likes on 6,179 Posts
Default Novelty helmets

I just read the other novelty helmet thread and it got me to thinkin. I live in a no law state (PA). We are no longer required to wear a lid if we choose not to. Before the current law was in effect we were required to wear a helmet, and I usually wore a novelty one, because a regular helmet seemed heavy and cumbersome to me. I assumed that was why others wore them too. But heres the thing that gets me, now since we dont have to wear one, I still see alot of guys wearing them. If you are going to bother wearing one why not wear one that will actually give you some protection if you hit the asphalt? Those novelty lids would bust open just falling off your seat. I just dont get it. Can anyone help me out? Is it just a looks cool thing or what? I am not busting anyone nuts here, just wondering. And please dont turn this into a helmet or no helmet debate. I really dont care what anyone wears or does not wear.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:34 PM
shoptroll
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Novelty helmets

Hey boe, I think some folks like the look. Some may wear them so they don't get chit from friends & family,who don't know the difference between DOT & novelty, for not wearing a lid. Some think it's better than nothing. Some like 'em for collecting stickers. I like my novelty german helmet because the brim keeps me from getting a burn / tan line across my forehead, it keeps my hair from getting tangled, and it keeps the bugs from bouncing off my melon. There are otheritems that do some of these things, but not all. Plus I don't like the weight of a traditional helmet very much and I don't want to look like an extra from "Spaceballs, The Movie".

Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 AM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To some it is probably a false sense of security

Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Motosportman
Cruiser

As the old saying goes if you have a $10.00 head, buy a $10.00 helmet. If your going to wear a helmet (reccomend you do) ensure it is DOT and Snell approved.

The wearing a novelty helmet designed to look like that usedby the **** regime- is about as far frombeing American as you can get, besides the fact they look stupid and offer absolutely no protection at all.

There are plenty of other nice looking and functional half helmets out there made by leading manfacturers to todays safety standards.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

it's your head...wear a novelty, a football, a spacehelmet or none. who the f--k cares. I have a carbon fiber novelty with leather ear pads to lessen the wind noise...works great, very comfortable for long cruisin away from traffic and a carbon fiber DOT half without ear pads.I live in no hemetFL. and don't give a rats *** what some dipsh!t thinks I should look like

Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
shoptroll
Banned

ORIGINAL: Motosportman
The wearing a novelty helmet designed to look like that usedby the **** regime- is about as far frombeing American as you can get, besides the fact they look stupid and offer absolutely no protection at all.
Gee, thanks for telling me that. I'm gona go right outside and throw mine in the trash. Better yet, I should burn it so some unenlightened trash collecter doesn't find it and try to use it. No, I can't burn it, that would destroy the ozone layer! I know, I'll plant flowers in it. That way it can be a symbol of peace and love for the whole world to see! I don't know how I could have been stupid enough to own such a piece of disreputable garbage. Kum By Yah, brother!

Old 09-03-2007, 12:17 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Motosportman

As the old saying goes if you have a $10.00 head, buy a $10.00 helmet. If your going to wear a helmet (reccomend you do) ensure it is DOT and Snell approved.

There are plenty of other nice looking and functional half helmets out there made by leading manfacturers to todays safety standards.
Good thing I'm not American then isn't it?

Old 09-03-2007, 03:13 PM
low1200hd
Intermediate

I think Shoptroll said it all....Kum By Yah my friend Kum By Yah. I wonder why Motosportman did not get into airbags on Bikes also?

Old 09-03-2007, 03:26 PM
harley57
Cruiser

the novelty helmet does not mess my hair up like a full helmet...I hate having helmet head hair...

Old 09-03-2007, 03:41 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ahhhhhhhhh the novelty helmet................The protection of a good piece of tupperware........and cool on top of that!

Quick Reply: Novelty helmets