General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novelty helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Novelty helmets

ORIGINAL: Jakie

Hey man everyone lighten up. Man o Man.
Are you all riding your menstrual cycles today or motorcycles. LOL & SMILE!
+1

Old 09-13-2007, 01:13 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

ORIGINAL: Jakie

Hey man everyone lighten up. Man o Man.
Are you all riding your menstrual cycles today or motorcycles. LOL & SMILE!
+1
Okay, okay.

+2

Old 09-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Motosportman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fandango6

ORIGINAL: tacmedic

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

ORIGINAL: tacmedic

As a firefighter paramedic, and a reserve deputyI agree with the what do you think your head is worth to you arguement. Just not to MISTERMOOSTER's(sorry):"To those who say, "If you've got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet: So, what's your head worth?.... $100...$250? Wow, that's much better". You would be suprised at just how much more protection those helmets can offer(style dependent). Not to preach from my soap box here but if you're a parent especially you should take into account "your" safety for the kids sake as well.It's a horrible experience to inform a family of a death in any case, worse whenthat it could have been prevented by wearing the right safety gear. That was one thing my fatherdrilled into me as a young rider (if he caught me riding without a helmet he would have kicked my *** worse than a crash would)
I wasn't arguing against the fact that a more expensive DOT helmet offers more protection than a novelty helmet. I was referring to the rediculous "logic" that what you spend on a helmet determines what your head is worth. If you spend $250 on a helmet, are you saying that that's all your head is worth? Ok, I'll put a check in the mail for that amount; please have your next of kin send me your skull.

And you being a firefighter paramedic and reserve deputy, know that bikes are much more dangerous than driving in cars or trucks. So, once again, if you're making this an issue of safety, and concern for your family, why are you on two wheels? Until you're ready to sell your bike and wrap yourself in nothing smaller than a large SUV, your arguments against helmetless riders, or novelty helmets, will always ring hollow.
Allright I see where you are going with that, I still disagree but that's what makes these so interesting to take part inI was just stating that you can limit the risks involved with riding by wearing the more "not so stylish" safety gear. You may not look as "cool" as you may want to, be slightly uncomfortable,or not fit into the HD rider stereotype but that is your choice to chooseand I'm all for that right.
To clarify my previous statement
A.I have no family of my own, however Iam concernedabout those that do.
B. I drive a f-250 crew cab long box diesel

OFF TOPIC: I find the bashing and braggingof people's service recordsinnapropriate. I don't care if u never served, or served in anything from the Civil War to areboots on the ground incountry right now. Then I don't care if you are/were a fobbit, special ops, engineer, Navy, CG, AF, Army, Marines, eagle scouts, rotary club, football booster clubwhatever!!!!! I simply don't view it as appropriate to throw around service records or lack thereofas a way to one up or bring dirt against others.
I was done with this, Go back and read the threads. I never "Bashed" anyone if you are referring to me. Theman made a statement in a helmet threadabout hismilitary service and started the whole thing himself. Actually gave another combat vet a load of crap. I just could not figure 30 years and four combat duties. Excuse me for being curious All I did was click on his profile, Google his name and were he is from. I did not check his service records. If he wants to correct me fine, I thanked him for his service, just wanted to know about his combat duty in Nam after '74.

Wish I would of never mentioned anything at all about skid lids.Nor ever expressed my opinion on the novelty helmets. To all that I have offended I am sorry. I was wrong and should of just shut up I guess. I was the one passing judgement and m

Old 09-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

No reason here to leave, some times things get out of hand, stay on and enjoy. I've been hangin around here quit awhile and I can tell you one topic that is always exposive is one on helmets.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Fandango6

No reason here to leave, some times things get out of hand, stay on and enjoy. I've been hangin around here quit awhile and I can tell you one topic that is always exposive is one on helmets.
+1

No reason to leave. Thats part of the fun of forums... I can tell you to get bent and I don't have to worry about getting a knuckle-sandwich. Also, I just farted; can you smell it??? Nope, didn't think so. This is not the "real world". Hell, check out the smokers vs. judgmental whiny anti-freedom non smoker posts!

Now for the record: I am a civil war and french and indian war vet.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Psycho
Road Master

It's none of my business what ya'll do with your heads, but I as a firefighter on several different levels, I am in fairly tight with most of the local emergency response personell, and the general consensus among them seems to be that novelty helmets are more dangerous than no helmet at all.

For that reason, if you're gonna wear a non-dot approved helmet, I highly reccomend looking into the non dot made by advanced carbon composites, as it passes all tests for the dot except one, and does, in fact, afford some protection in a small, light, novelty type design.

Just my two cents worth.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 AM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Psycho

novelty helmets are more dangerous than no helmet at all.
Explain how that works.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Psycho
Road Master

Explain how that works.
The stories I've heard from the EMT's, not to mention the case pictures I've seen, are of pieces of broken up novelty helmet lodged in peoples craniums as a result of impact.

A good quality helmet, such as the ACC non dot's, will not shatter, and in staying together will offer at least some protection for your noggin. All that, and they are much better looking, and every bit as small and light as other non dot helmets.

For me, it's worth the extra money. I'm personally wearing the dot model acc, and it is as small as some of the novelty helmets my buddies are wearing. I can't tell the difference in weight or comfort in the wearing, that is for certain.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:52 AM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

Explain how that works.
The stories I've heard from the EMT's, not to mention the case pictures I've seen, are of pieces of broken up novelty helmet lodged in peoples craniums as a result of impact.

A good quality helmet, such as the ACC non dot's, will not shatter, and in staying together will offer at least some protection for your noggin. All that, and they are much better looking, and every bit as small and light as other non dot helmets.

For me, it's worth the extra money. I'm personally wearing the dot model acc, and it is as small as some of the novelty helmets my buddies are wearing. I can't tell the difference in weight or comfort in the wearing, that is for certain.
I can understand how shards of the helmet can do damage, but if the impact is enough to do that, then your skull is gonna take major damage if you were helmetless, too.

Anyway, I went to http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com (ACC helmets), and checked 'em out. Both the DOT and non-DOT sound like decent helmets. I'll think about getting one. Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 PM
tacmedic
Cruiser

Maybe we shouldsuggest this one to the show Mythbusters?Seriously

No need to leave the forum Motosportman . Hell you should see some of the debatesmy squad(military and rescue)and I get into over a couple of beers. Sh&t the bar ends up making Iraq look peaceful. However once everyone says their peace and gets done pounding on their chest like king kong we still still mange to have a good time and we learn points of view we might not have considered. We still usually don't agree but we agree to disagree. It may get ugly but, sometimes the best info comes out into the light that way.
Just a thought

Quick Reply: Novelty helmets