General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novelty helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Novelty helmets

Its your squash, wear what you want....

Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

my egg head half helmet dosn't look good at all on me, but what the hell ya know? at least I've got a shot of stickin around for my kids

Old 09-12-2007, 07:44 PM
tacmedic
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

ORIGINAL: tacmedic

As a firefighter paramedic, and a reserve deputyI agree with the what do you think your head is worth to you arguement. Just not to MISTERMOOSTER's(sorry):"To those who say, "If you've got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet: So, what's your head worth?.... $100...$250? Wow, that's much better". You would be suprised at just how much more protection those helmets can offer(style dependent). Not to preach from my soap box here but if you're a parent especially you should take into account "your" safety for the kids sake as well.It's a horrible experience to inform a family of a death in any case, worse whenthat it could have been prevented by wearing the right safety gear. That was one thing my fatherdrilled into me as a young rider (if he caught me riding without a helmet he would have kicked my *** worse than a crash would)
I wasn't arguing against the fact that a more expensive DOT helmet offers more protection than a novelty helmet. I was referring to the rediculous "logic" that what you spend on a helmet determines what your head is worth. If you spend $250 on a helmet, are you saying that that's all your head is worth? Ok, I'll put a check in the mail for that amount; please have your next of kin send me your skull.

And you being a firefighter paramedic and reserve deputy, know that bikes are much more dangerous than driving in cars or trucks. So, once again, if you're making this an issue of safety, and concern for your family, why are you on two wheels? Until you're ready to sell your bike and wrap yourself in nothing smaller than a large SUV, your arguments against helmetless riders, or novelty helmets, will always ring hollow.
Allright I see where you are going with that, I still disagree but that's what makes these so interesting to take part inI was just stating that you can limit the risks involved with riding by wearing the more "not so stylish" safety gear. You may not look as "cool" as you may want to, be slightly uncomfortable,or not fit into the HD rider stereotype but that is your choice to chooseand I'm all for that right.
To clarify my previous statement
A.I have no family of my own, however Iam concernedabout those that do.
B. I drive a f-250 crew cab long box diesel

OFF TOPIC: I find the bashing and braggingof people's service recordsinnapropriate. I don't care if u never served, or served in anything from the Civil War to areboots on the ground incountry right now. Then I don't care if you are/were a fobbit, special ops, engineer, Navy, CG, AF, Army, Marines, eagle scouts, rotary club, football booster clubwhatever!!!!! I simply don't view it as appropriate to throw around service records or lack thereofas a way to one up or bring dirt against others.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

As a firefighter paramedic, and a reserve deputyI agree with the what do you think your head is worth to you arguement. Just not to MISTERMOOSTER's(sorry):"To those who say, "If you've got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet: So, what's your head worth?.... $100...$250? Wow, that's much better". You would be suprised at just how much more protection those helmets can offer(style dependent). Not to preach from my soap box here but if you're a parent especially you should take into account "your" safety for the kids sake as well.It's a horrible experience to inform a family of a death in any case, worse whenthat it could have been prevented by wearing the right safety gear. That was one thing my fatherdrilled into me as a young rider (if he caught me riding without a helmet he would have kicked my *** worse than a crash would)
I wasn't arguing against the fact that a more expensive DOT helmet offers more protection than a novelty helmet. I was referring to the rediculous "logic" that what you spend on a helmet determines what your head is worth. If you spend $250 on a helmet, are you saying that that's all your head is worth? Ok, I'll put a check in the mail for that amount; please have your next of kin send me your skull.

And you being a firefighter paramedic and reserve deputy, know that bikes are much more dangerous than driving in cars or trucks. So, once again, if you're making this an issue of safety, and concern for your family, why are you on two wheels? Until you're ready to sell your bike and wrap yourself in nothing smaller than a large SUV, your arguments against helmetless riders, or novelty helmets, will always ring hollow.
Allright I see where you are going with that, I still disagree but that's what makes these so interesting to take part inI was just stating that you can limit the risks involved with riding by wearing the more "not so stylish" safety gear. You may not look as "cool" as you may want to, be slightly uncomfortable,or not fit into the HD rider stereotype but that is your choice to chooseand I'm all for that right.

OFF TOPIC: I find the bashing and braggingof people's service recordsinnapropriate. I don't care if u never served, or served in anything from the Civil War to areboots on the ground incountry right now. Then I don't care if you are/were a fobbit, special ops, engineer, Navy, CG, AF, Army, Marines, eagle scouts, rotary club, football booster clubwhatever!!!!! I simply don't view it as appropriate to throw around service records or lack thereofas a way to one up or bring dirt against others.
I was done with this, Go back and read the threads. I never "Bashed" anyone if you are referring to me. Theman made a statement in a helmet threadabout hismilitary service and started the whole thing himself. Actually gave another combat vet a load of crap. I just could not figure 30 years and four combat duties. Excuse me for being curious All I did was click on his profile, Google his name and were he is from. I did not check his service records. If he wants to correct me fine, I thanked him for his service, just wanted to know about his combat duty in Nam after '74.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 AM
tacmedic
Cruiser

No Fandango6it wasn't directed at anyone in particular, I was just venting a little or maybe a lot depending on your viewpoint. I just saw that this thread had some branches that was going way off topic andgoing into areas I myself and I'm sure otherstake very personal i.e.. patriotism andmilitary service.In my "very own personal" opinion people probably shouldn't be bringing up service recordsor questioning patriotism of themselves/others under a novelty helmet thread. It just kind ofbotheredme to the point where I wanted to throw my .02 in the ring.

Tac

Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 AM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it's all a trade-off between comfort (and enjoyment) and the risk involved. We're all taking a big risk by not sticking to driving cages. I take a bigger risk because I choose to wear the lightest most comfortable lid I can get away with in NV, and others take a bigger one by going without if their state allows it (I wish mine did). Speaking for myself, it's got nothing to do with being "stylish", looking "cool", or the "HD rider stereotype".

As far as bringing up service records, it was started by a guy who was bashing a certain style of helmet as being un-American, and then justifying his remarks by telling us how many years he had in. I served in the military, too. And I did it to ensure we had more freedom, not less. Maybe I'll go buy one of those "German style" helmets, and paint it pink with yellow stripes. My choice shouldn't matter to him, or you.

Now let's make nice, get on our bikes and ride, damn it. [sm=deal.gif]

Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 AM
tacmedic
Cruiser

[sm=deal.gif]can't disagree with you there[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 09-13-2007, 11:22 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in ca. a you gotta have a lid state and I guess I am double unamerican as I own two german novelty helmets oh ya I also wear them sorry i'll sign off now..

Old 09-13-2007, 11:25 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok I forgot to mention I also am a vet american legion riders is the only club I belong to although I think my dues are pastdo.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Jakie
Tourer

Hey man everyone lighten up. Man o Man.
Are you all riding your menstrual cycles today or motorcycles. LOL & SMILE!

Quick Reply: Novelty helmets