General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darn Dog!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Harleygal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Darn Dog!!

We were out riding the back roads yesterday and were not far from home when a dog almost took us out! This big dog ran right out in front of us! Thank God we saw him and Jabo was already braking and attempting evasive moves. Jabo swerved left, the dog went left, he swerved right, the dog went right! Even though Jabo tried to swerve to miss him, the dogturned and ran into the right side of the bike, hitting the highway bar and peg and then Jabo's leg. The impact almost knocked me off the back of the bike and I just knew we were going down!! I still don't know how he managed to keep the bike up! We rode about a half mile down the road till we found a safe spot to pull over and check the bike and our drawers!! Believe it or not, the d**n dog followed us and went trotting past us without any sign of injury! I was happy the bike wasn't damaged and thedog wasn't hurt, but wished I could have found the owner!![:@]

Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts
Default RE: Darn Dog!!

Awesome job on keeping the bike up, especially with a passenger! I had the same thing happen to me in my friends neighborhood . A black lab was standing next to his owner, then starts hauling a$$ at me. The guy never said a word, just watched. I slowed down a little, getting ready to gun it. As the dog crossed the street to my left, a mini-van coming the other way sent it airborn. I felt bad for the lady in the minivan and the dog. The owner wanted no part of me, backpeddling and tripping into his house. Glad you guys made it ok. Ride Safe.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:28 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my share of dogs run out in front of me. The neighbors let their dog run lose all the time. I hate that!

Worst, though, was a bear that got in front of us just this summer. I've seen bear plenty of times on some of the back roads, but usually well off the road. This time, though, the dang thing was right in the middle of the lane as we came into a corner. Talk about leaving pucker marks on the seat ...

Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad you are safe and okay. This is just one of the reason I wish people would learn to control their pets and keep them on their own property.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Harleygal
Cruiser

A good friend of mine had a similar experience with a dog a few months ago, except the dog died! When she went back to check on the dog and spoke to his owner, she said his response was "I've been expecting that to happen. He does that all the time!" She was a better woman than me because she didn't smack the moron! [:@]I mean, if you know yourdog chases bikes, would it not make sense to put up a fence or tie the dog up?!! [:@]

Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
smudge
Tourer

I live out in the country and loose dogs are everywhere! What I don't understand is the mentality of the owner, not caring where their dogs are. It's one thing when it's car versus dog, but they can easily take you out on your bike. How are you going to trace the owner for compensation, they don't even have dogh tags on theircritters. Yet I bet if you said anything to a dog owner you'd get the "It's my dog and I love him and don't want to cage him." Hey, TRAIN him!!! MY dog never leaves my land, he knows his boundaries.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 AM
lbjohnson1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Kolni

Glad you are safe and okay. This is just one of the reason I wish people would learn to control their pets and keep them on their own property.
Exactly!!!
I know there are stray dogs around but for the most part owners don't keep their pets restrained. There are a couple in my neighborhood and I think they have finally learned their lesson. They have been hit at least once that I know of and the owners still don't seem concerned. Quess it will take some other action for the "owners" to get the message. Lawsuit, etc.