General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike is gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 05:10 PM
buell95
Road Warrior
Received 533 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Listen, HD aint gonna change that frame when they are absolutely WHOOPING Indian's *** in king of the baggers.
Troy Herfoss is the only reason Indian is hanging in.
If Indian had stuck with Mcwilliams and Ohara as their riders for this year, and didnt sign Troy, 100% HD and Vance and Hines teams would have blown out Indian by a mile.
Tyler isnt even a threat.
The only reason why Hogspoli isnt dunking on Tyler is because he crashed out two times, one in the wet.

HD isn't going to change the rushmore bagger frame while it's absolutely SLAPPING Indian around right now.
Hopefully they bring that bagger swing arm to stock, or at least a stock production version that the average bagger can have.

Old 09-06-2024, 05:19 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I tend to keep my bikes for 100k-150k miles now. I am down to 15K miles average now, but that will go up for the next couple years. When I sell my old bikes, I advertise as "mechanically good, cosmetically challenged".

For most vehicles, there's the lure of "new and better" for next years models. I do not usually buy a first year of something new.

Motorcycle are an investment in my well being. No vehicle has been a financial profit for me.
We can bash HD all we want to, but they have been doing continuous product improvement since the introduction of the Evo. That's not to say they've been perfect but there's not much on a Harley that can't be fixed or corrected. Some new bikes are "parts bin" bikes, made mostly from proven components that are already in production. I'll be interested to see what HD comes up with for 2025 because I'm not interested in anything they're offering for 2024.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (09-07-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 05:22 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
We can bash HD all we want to, but they have been doing continuous product improvement since the introduction of the Evo. That's not to say they've been perfect but there's not much on a Harley that can't be fixed or corrected. Some new bikes are "parts bin" bikes, made mostly from proven components that are already in production. I'll be interested to see what HD comes up with for 2025 because I'm not interested in anything they're offering for 2024.
This year I put a new crank in one bike at 70k, "we been seeing that for that year" and water pump at 24k. Buddy M8 lifters went tore apart engine low miles.

When I started riding harleys my goal was to replace all the harley parts. But I'll atleast test ride an indian next time. Been looking at them a lot this year.

RK4ME (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 08:17 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,954 Likes on 7,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
. But I'll atleast test ride an indian next time. Been looking at them a lot this year.
Just do it, buy an Indian and move over to the Indian Motorcycle Forum: https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/forums/

Then you can be an expert over there....................seeya!

And you can get parts for your bike and snowmobile at the same dealership.

The following 6 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
eaglefan1 (09-07-2024), HarleyBob52 (09-07-2024), Highway Handler (09-07-2024), NorthWestern (09-07-2024), snipit (09-09-2024), tar_snake (09-07-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-07-2024, 06:27 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Rounders (Troll at large) and his 'bike'(s) he never shows anyone he has...

The following 4 users liked this post by tar_snake:
Dynamick (09-08-2024), hellonewman (09-07-2024), LoneBone (09-07-2024), NorthWestern (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 07:06 AM
Steelie68
Tourer
Received 151 Likes on 97 Posts

If it were me (which it’s not of course), I’d be looking for a 20’-23’ “garage queen” and use some of savings on some motor upgrades, or not, and still have plenty to make the bike the way you want. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Steelie68:
Goose_NC (09-07-2024), Rounders (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 07:49 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,487 Likes on 2,704 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Listen, HD aint gonna change that frame when they are absolutely WHOOPING Indian's *** in king of the baggers.
It's about reducing cost to keep the margins up. And for all we know they could be working on a new frame design. Do you really think the win on Sunday sell on Monday even applies anymore? A lot of people that ride don't watch the bagger races, I know I don't and it would have no influence on what bike I bought.

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
Goose_NC (09-07-2024), s-glide76 (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 07:56 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
Just do it, buy an Indian and move over to the Indian Motorcycle Forum: https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/forums/

Then you can be an expert over there....................seeya!

And you can get parts for your bike and snowmobile at the same dealership.
I'll always have harleys, I've replaced to many parts from Harley to get rid of them Not saying I would buy one, but I'd think about it. Always thought they didn't look as good. But I always said the problem with harley is we are a slave to cosmetics. I know more people riding them, still small over all percentage. for me its another American made option. Maybe I will be underwhelmed, maybe the grass is not greener.

But boy things have sure gone down hill since the M8s. My old time old will say since the TC. The tensioners, pressed cranks. But the issues with simple lifters taking out engines.

harley has known for decades they can sell us anything they want, because we will fix it. They also know most people don't put enough miles on to see problems right away.

Again, not saying for sure, but I have been looking on line. The roadmaster and pursuit are interesting.

As for where I buy my sled parts, I am not running a Polaris at the moment, I think people in rural areas may be buying indians because there are dealers there, and there are not harley dealers.

Old 09-07-2024, 08:36 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
This year I put a new crank in one bike at 70k, "we been seeing that for that year" and water pump at 24k. Buddy M8 lifters went tore apart engine low miles.

When I started riding harleys my goal was to replace all the harley parts. But I'll atleast test ride an indian next time. Been looking at them a lot this year.
l know 1 guy that will only buy Polaris products, including their bikes. He had a 20 turing model, had lots of little issues, Polaris didn't want to fix much of anything. He hates Harleys, don't know why. So he got a 22 in 23, just this last Thursday, he was going back to the dealership he said this is his 3rd time, this time electrical problems. I Jokingly said time for a Harley, he said I would take the bike back 100 times before I buy one of them.. I've had new Polaris snowmobile and they are tuff on trying to get warranty coverage. .

Goose_NC (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 08:45 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I had a problem with my polaris ATV, 20 years ago and it bittered me. Seems few years ago they were having electronics issues too. Though everyone I know rides polaris RMK.

Quick Reply: Bike is gone