General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,700 mile ride-how many mile per day?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:01 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 1,700 mile ride-how many mile per day?

If riding the interstate, the rule that has always worked pretty well for me is figure you will average 50 miles per hour. That's taking into account fuel stops, fast food stops, etc.

When I bought my bike on eBay it was 1700 miles from home to where I bought it in Cookeville, Tn. I took 4 days getting back. Two of the days were 10 hour days and two of them were considerably easier.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:12 AM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500 miles a day should be no problem.
As others have said, try to do more the first day, watch the weather and plan on the unexpected.

Rode trips are always an adventure. We followed the Wally Mart truck once because we were lost and figured it would take us to a small town. It took us to a regional distribution center instead <G>

Drink lots of water, take a lot of Pees, you'll be fine!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Drich57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went last year (2006) and made it from Long Island to Sturgis in two days - and my butt and legs were numb for another day after that . I would suggest at least four days for the trip - especially with a rider. Have you done long trips before? Have you done long trips with a passenger?Riding one day for 500miles is a lot different from multiple days of thesame.You don't want to end up 1000 miles from home and not having much fun because of exhaustion/pain/etc...

I had no trouble getting motel space for my entire stay. I was there for a week and - without reservations - I managed to find a place every night. Not 'name' motels, but good, clean places. I stayed in Rapid City most of the time, but there were plenty of vacancy signs around the area. I don't know if the smaller places advertise much or take reservations that far in advance though.

As a side note, when I came back, I rode through Canada. It was gorgeous and much better than coming back the same way I went. No problem with cash or credit and the weatherwas much more pleasant.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Big mileage per day is possible, but, stopping and enjoying the sights periodically has something to be said for it to.
We did 1500 miles in 3 1/2 days going to and from Sturgis, it was a nice pace.
Three 10 hour days with few stops may not appeal to your OL and although she'll do it this time, it may be hard to get her to go next time. JMO

Old 09-02-2007, 08:42 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6-6-5

Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tough call. If you want to get there as fast as possible you could do 600 miles in a day. You figure maybe 100-150 miles before your wife (or you) starts squirming and wants a potty break or a leg stretch break. If you go 150 then just fill up there. That is three fuel stops. Two could be a 15 minute rest and the other maybe a 1 hour meal/relax break. Make your last fuel stop your final stop of the day. Traveling at average highway speeds of 70mph you could do the 600 miles in around 10-11 hours give or take. All of this depends on traffic and weather of course.

If you want to stop and see some sights and maybe make a few detours then maybe 400 in a day would be more realistic.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:09 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 476 Likes on 191 Posts

My buddies and I rode from Dutchess County, NY to Sturgis in 2005.

We took 4 days and that was a decent pace. Not too long and not too short a day.

That pace allowed us to look for a hotel room around 5.00 o'clock (except going through Chicago and traffic on Sunday afternoon). We then had a nice dinner and a few beers and felt good the next morning.

We did not have reservations (we had reservations in Sturgis) and had no problems finding a room.

600 miles a day is doable as long as the weather is good but is still a long day.

I rode from Dutchess County, NYdown to Arkansas in two days this summer ( 700 miles a day) and while it was doable I did not enjoy it.

I would stick with a 4 day ride.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We've done multiple 200 mile-a-day rides since I got my bike and shes a great passenger but does have to stop and go to the bathroom alot. Thats on my Dyna. We plan on riding the Road King to Sturgis though so I'm hoping she'll be a little more comfortable and we'll be able to rack a few more mile per day. I'm calling Tuesday to try and make some room reservations somewhere between Rapid City and Deadwood for the week-anyone have any recommendations for a hotel? Then I'll backtrack and make a few room reservations for the trip out along the way. Probably wing it on the way back hotel wise. We were thinking about trailering but I want to ride and she does too so thanks alot for the help and I'll let everyone know how I make out on reservations in the Sturgis area for 08. I'm hoping I can get decent room for the week.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:02 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The windsheild on the RK will help alot....good choice. Give your self extra time.....

Old 09-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

400 miles is a good day on a motorcycle for me, especially if it's excessively hot or cold. I've done almost twice that in a day though and I never use a windshield, very punishing. I've always found the two-up rides less boring, so easier to keep going.

Quick Reply: 1,700 mile ride-how many mile per day?