General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forget the bike, let's see your boots

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 04:19 PM
imoo6170
HDF Community Team
Received 953 Likes on 919 Posts

I have been using Alpinestars Riding Road Boots now for about the last 10 yrs. Very comfortable both on the bike and also walking.

Old 08-31-2024, 05:32 PM
klup
Tourer
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts

Depends on what I am wearing that day I go for a ride. The Chippewa or my work boots the engineer boots or my everyday boots

Old 08-31-2024, 09:07 PM
RiggerWings
Tourer

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

I bought a pair of HD boots (Made in Vietnam) a few years back that I wore while riding. More recently I bought a pair of Red Wings (also made in Vietnam) that I now use for riding. Way more comfortable and better looking than my HD branded boots. I got safety toes because I intended them for work, but they're also waterproof so they're great on the bike!

Old 09-01-2024, 06:00 AM
strokelessone
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 208 Likes on 128 Posts

Just a set of jump boots. Dr. Scholls inserts and a nice zipper on the side so I don't burst a blood vessel in my forehead trying to lace them up

The following 2 users liked this post by strokelessone:
RiggerWings (09-01-2024), tar_snake (09-04-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 09:04 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

Klin GTX Outlander. Waterproof, great walking boot and BOA lacing system for the win.

Old 09-01-2024, 09:06 AM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,914 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo-Wes
Chippewa loggers style 73100 plain toe is the riding boot that I chose after much searching.

The reason that I went with the
Chippewa 8" loggers style lace-up boots is for ankle support. If I should have a crash, I would like to protect my ankles as much as possible.

I truly like engineer boots, cowboy boots, Wellingtons, etc., but, in a crash, if I should be sent flying off my bike through the atmosphere, I am sure that slip-on type of footwear would slip-off and proceed without me in other directions. And there I'd be, with broken arms, legs, ribs, and back, in my stocking feet. I prefer to die with my boots on.

Plus, these boots add extra reach to the ground. This aids me whenever I come to a stop on a road surface which is slanted away to one side of the bike or the other.

And these boots are extremely comfortable and easy to walk. Absolutely no stress on the Achilles tendon.

I worked in the pulp mill side of a paper mill for years, in 1990 I switched from the paper side to the pulp side, and since I was now in the “logging” industry so to speak, I spent my first yearly boot allowance on Logger boots, probably Iron Age, they sent a truck right to mill back then.
I was super uncomfortable for a year! I was taller but I freaking hated those boots! working outside in the mud in the spring they were also the worst for caking up with mud.

Old 09-01-2024, 09:12 AM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,286 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Paintslinger16
I worked in the pulp mill side of a paper mill for years, in 1990 I switched from the paper side to the pulp side, and since I was now in the “logging” industry so to speak, I spent my first yearly boot allowance on Logger boots, probably Iron Age, they sent a truck right to mill back then.
I was super uncomfortable for a year! I was taller but I freaking hated those boots! working outside in the mud in the spring they were also the worst for caking up with mud.
I wash my bike fairly often, so I do not have a very bad mud problem.

The following users liked this post:
Paintslinger16 (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 10:15 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts
Default Stylmartin

The Carolina Girl and I have been sporting Stylmartin’s now for almost 5 years.

Quality motorcycle boots, water proof, CE rated and proven.

The Carolina Girl gave in and had me to polish hers. She does not like the worn, crusty road rash look!

Good quality boots that are designed to riding and especially designed to stay on your foot and give as much crush protection as possible are a must. Just look at Moto Giant who lost his right foot in a crash earlier this year. He points to his choice of boots.

I ride in these at 30 degrees and 95 degrees. What makes them work is proper high quality socks for winter and for summer riding. I use Klim, Alpinestars and Rev’It. The Rev’It brand is my most favorite especially in the summer. Klim does a great job in the winter.

I really expect these boots to make it to the end of my riding career. One of the best purchases I have make.

Here is what they looked like new 5 years ago.

Ride safe

The following 3 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Jehu (09-01-2024), pyuchem (09-01-2024), RiggerWings (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 05:43 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

Cosmic, I bought the same StyleMartin boots; while sized a little but small, they are good boots and I hope to get good service life out of them. For they offer the right mix of protection and walk-ability.

I have hot sweaty feet and generally avoid waterproof boots but protective motorcycle boots that provide protection and aren't waterproof are a rarity.

The Chippewa Rally Boots are great for, well, rallies where there's often more walking and standing than riding (think Daytona); unfortunately, that are discontinued and I have to figure a way to make mine last forever - ditto for the Aerostich boots.

Anymore, for me, the smart play is protective dedicated riding boots, flirting with Power Ranger wanna-be for actual riding and a really comfy set of well broken in sneakers (or equivalent) for all the other stuff.

On the subject of discontinued, Redwing Engineer boots are also discontinued apparently.

Last edited by Jehu; 09-01-2024 at 07:13 PM. Reason: sPlelng and p'nc"tua-tion
The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 08:08 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 282 Posts

While looking at the pics of boots. I noticed some like 6" high type boot and some prefer 8" + boots.

Just a thought. I had a get off when I hit something slick doing a RH turn at an intersection at about 15mph and my ankle was hurting pretty good, got stuck sorta under the bike. Went to the doc with Wallabies (yes Wallabies) and he asked me if I was wearing these when I had the get off. I said no, 8" lace up boots, he said that is likely what saved you from a broken rather than just sprained ankle.

Tom

Quick Reply: Forget the bike, let's see your boots