General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires & Tire Changer - My Decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 03:07 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 416 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
#2 is a common affliction :<(
Yeah Larry and #1 is getting there fast. Anymore I know I bumped my hand on something when I see the blood trail on the floor.

Old 08-31-2024, 03:55 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,835 Likes on 19,328 Posts

Originally Posted by 5wheels
Yeah Larry and #1 is getting there fast. Anymore I know I bumped my hand on something when I see the blood trail on the floor.
Yep ... The skin is gettin' thin ;<(

Old 08-31-2024, 03:55 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts

It's all about changing tires. I appreciate everyone's opinion. There may be some young buck wanting to change his own tires and gets motivated by those that do it just with tire irons. I respect them for it. I just cannot do that.

As for No-Mar and Rabaconda they are both respectable tools that fit a niche.

It's been a long and HOT day. I've been going since 7am in what used to be our boat garage. It needed some serious cleaning today.

The Carolina Girl helped out also.

I assembled by tire balancer. This is a really nice well made unit off Amazon for under $100 bucks.

Then I began to uncrate the tire machine and get it set up. It's still bolted to the shipping pallet base right now.

I am very happy so far with the quality. Everything is there and nothing damaged.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 08-31-2024 at 03:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
gonemad (08-31-2024), MarlinSpike (09-01-2024), redfin00 (09-01-2024), Tommy C (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 03:56 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I've changed Harley tires about a half dozen times using spoons. I get a little better each time. I got a Motion Pro Beadpro but haven't used it yet. It looks promising.

https://youtu.be/oCdWTP7Uphk?si=oRkFMdDalbP-WyO4
I have those (and a variety of spoons). Not as good as I had hoped. They don't spread wide enough to break the bead fully.
The HF style bead breakers make most ties easy. (I made one with a couple 2x4s hinged to a stud in my old garage).

The following 2 users liked this post by piasspj:
Bluesrider.df (08-31-2024), Cosmic Razorback (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 05:44 PM
klup
Tourer
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
At 62 I've learned my limits as to what I can do, what I should do, and what I will just pay others to do.
I do not change my own tires for several reasons but these come to mind:
  1. My knuckles do not heal as well as they used to.
  2. My sheet rock repair skills are not that great when I throw the tire iron across the garage in frustration.
  3. My neighbor kids have been traumatized by the profanity that comes from my garage.
being 62 also I couldn’t say it any better

The following users liked this post:
joenc (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 06:46 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,208 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by klup
being 62 also I couldn’t say it any better
Your profile says you just turned 60. 🫤

Old 08-31-2024, 07:36 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts
Default She’s Alive

The Carolina Girl and I got a much needed shower and went to dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant at Tanglewood.

We returned home and it is so nice out. We lounged on the deck with our cat who is having a wonderful day.

I decided to go ahead and hook up power and air before dark and see if this machine comes alive!

She’s alive and running like a Swiss watch.

I am impressed with the rotation speed. Not too fast, not too slow, just right!

The bead breaker is easy and smooth.

I’m especially impressed with the in and out movement on the rim clamps. When you add air they automatically expand. Then the pedal is very easy to finesse just a slow easy movement inward of all four. Just keep bringing them in, and then press the pedal again and they open right up again.

I’m really pumped to try this thing.

Maybe Monday. Stay Tuned….

These are some other accessories I ordered.

Some extra parts that came with the machine. NICE

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 08-31-2024 at 07:38 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
LoneBone (08-31-2024), MarlinSpike (09-01-2024), MRFREEZE57 (08-31-2024), redfin00 (09-01-2024), Tom H (08-31-2024), Tommy C (08-31-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-31-2024, 07:54 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,125 Likes on 7,883 Posts

Looks like a nice rig, Mark. I'm sure that you will get a lot of use out of it.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 10:02 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,673 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
The Carolina Girl and I got a much needed shower and went to dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant at Tanglewood.

We returned home and it is so nice out. We lounged on the deck with our cat who is having a wonderful day.

I decided to go ahead and hook up power and air before dark and see if this machine comes alive!

She’s alive and running like a Swiss watch.

I am impressed with the rotation speed. Not too fast, not too slow, just right!

The bead breaker is easy and smooth.

I’m especially impressed with the in and out movement on the rim clamps. When you add air they automatically expand. Then the pedal is very easy to finesse just a slow easy movement inward of all four. Just keep bringing them in, and then press the pedal again and they open right up again.

I’m really pumped to try this thing.

Maybe Monday. Stay Tuned….

These are some other accessories I ordered.

Some extra parts that came with the machine. NICE

That is a nice set up you have there.

The following 2 users liked this post by MRFREEZE57:
Cosmic Razorback (09-01-2024), redfin00 (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 12:09 AM
Sturgis81
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
I just purchased a tire changing machine and I am really stoked.

The prices at the dealerships right now are stupid for tire changes. Over $800 bucks front and rear for HD Dunlops installed.

I’ve been feeling the need/desire to switch brands and try something new. I checked two Indy shops and both wanted to install American Elites for around $640.00 total. As far as I am concerned it is the same tire.

The bad part is neither of these shops gave me any confidence that they would so a good job and not scratch my wheels.

So I decided to start doing it myself. After research and talking to a good friend running them I purchased a set of Michelin Commander III’s from Dennis Kirk for $447.00 total delivered. I bought them so I would be committed. By the way they look amazing.

With two bikes I figure at current shop prices I can pay for a machine in three to five tire changes depending on which style I went with.

Reading a lot of threads here on the site I was impressed with both the Rabaconda and the No-Mar. I researched them online and watched countless YouTube video’s. There are many loyal fans to each here on the site and I can understand why. I could just not get warm and fuzzy with either of those options.

I’m not getting any younger and how much effort do I want to put into it. Then considering auto and trailer tires I could use a true machine on as well. Then factor in what resale would be down the road when I hang up my hat.

I have a little larger budget and I have plenty of shop space and a compressor.

This led me to a true electric/pneumatic tire machine. What I discovered is there are a dozen companies out there selling the same exact machine just in different colors and a different name on them. So it comes down simply to who has the best deal.

I was seeing what I wanted between $1400.00 to $1800.00. The cheaper ones added freight and the more expensive had free shipping and the totals came in almost the same at the end.

Trying not to jump in too quickly I kept shopping and found a company out of Ohio called Mile-X Equipment. They had a sale on their model TC-400M-B which was what I was looking at for $1249.00 plus tax. Then I discovered they have them in a warehouse less than an hour and a half from me.

I got it home today and it looks great. It comes with an extra duck head, yellow protectors and everything you need.

My plan is to get it assembled and ready to go this weekend. Then I plan to practice on some trailer tires I have to get some experience before moving to the HD wheels.

The first impressions of this machine are very good. I’ll give an update when she is setup and working.

I get a lot of satisfaction from doing my own work. I like to take my time and clean the bike very good at the same time I have access to areas that are usually not exposed. Knowing that everything is 100% also makes me happy.

I do have a static balancer coming in and some stick on wheel weights. Today I got some tire lube and a brush. So getting close to being in business!

Stay tuned…
I payed like 450 for my ae I think they are a much better tire then the michilans i had taken off didnt last a year for me .just normal riding id say maybe 15k most

Quick Reply: Tires & Tire Changer - My Decision