General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires & Tire Changer - My Decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 01:04 AM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,298 Likes on 589 Posts

Any concerns with bending a disk when using spoons/irons or are they beefy enough?

Old 08-30-2024, 07:34 AM
MarlinSpike
Road Master
Received 623 Likes on 370 Posts

That's cool having a real tire machine. Thanks for sharing the info and pictures.

I have never had a tire done anywhere but myself in my shop. The manual way.
I just am not paying for anything I can do myself. Yep, tightass.
Different tools have made it easier over the years. The HF Bead Breaker - Pow, it's fantastic. I bought the tire wheel holder type of rig to get me off the floor. Better to be up higher but not earth-shattering better.
Good long Irons, couple bead holding deals, rim protectors, sleeves for the Irons, lube. A few items I made myself, some bought. Just made a tube core puller after years of not having one.

As mentioned, if you are struggling, you need to step back and start over.
I find dirt bike rear tires to be way tougher than any street bike tires I have done. Tubeless tires are a piece of cake compared to tubed ones.
I read somewhere recently that dish soap has lots of salt in it. I have used nothing but Dawn soap and water spray for the lube, never been an issue. But a recommended alternative is Car Washing soap. ? - might try it next tire change.
Also bought one of those Duck Head bead tools a while back on Ebay really cheap that I am going to rig up and try the next change.

I like doing all my own work, and tires when you have six bikes is part of it.

The following 3 users liked this post by MarlinSpike:
Cosmic Razorback (08-30-2024), redfin00 (09-01-2024), Tommy C (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 01:28 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,695 Likes on 2,122 Posts

We put the new arm to the test on a 240 low profile tire this morning. Wow ! What a game changer, low profile sidewalls are a PITA and this made it a breeze.

The following 5 users liked this post by rizzo:
Architect (08-30-2024), Cosmic Razorback (08-30-2024), Mongo1958 (09-02-2024), Schex (09-03-2024), Uncle Larry (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 05:01 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,695 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
Steve the next time a kid is hanging around the shop give him a rag and some brake cleaner and point him towards that tire machine.....
🤣 It was slow this afternoon

The following 7 users liked this post by rizzo:
2whlr4life (09-06-2024), Cosmic Razorback (08-30-2024), HD_Roadtripper (09-03-2024), LoneBone (08-30-2024), Mongo1958 (08-31-2024), redfin00 (09-01-2024), Vernal (08-31-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2024, 06:15 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts
Default It Works for Me!!!

Hey everyone. Sorry it’s been a busy week, and I have not had time to follow this thread as closely as I would like.

First and most important is “Thank You” everyone that commented. I value all comments and opinions, good or bad. We all have an opinion and its always different strokes for different folks.

Like I mentioned I have really wanted a tire machine for some time now. If you follow any of my threads, I am pretty much self-taught and a Master YouTube mechanic! LOL.

Most importantly I have learned a lot right here on the forums from you guys.

I like to be hands on, I have been acquiring many tools that allow me to be as self-sufficient as possible and this tire machine just helped take it to the next level.

This month marks my 16th year here on HD Forums. WOW, and I’ve made mistakes, learned some things the hard way, learned some excellent tips from you guys and have definitely grown thick skin. So, keep the opinions, comments and suggestions coming.

To date I have now changed the front and rear suspension on three bikes, serviced front forks, changed handlebars six times by myself including heated grips. Changed batteries, changed brake pads, serviced ABS fluid and cycled the ABS unit, added docking hardware, changed every light front and back on many bikes including the Baja LP 6 conversion on the Road Glide. I do all my own services including all three holes, clutch adjustments, checking all critical fasteners and changing sparkplugs. I have changed switch packs, changed crash bars, added and removed bag guards, replaced headers and slip on mufflers. Switched out many windshields, levers, floorboards, pegs and seats.

The biggest challenge to date was a complete sound system on our 21 FLHXS which was intimidating. I needed to do the labor to get all the components we wanted in our budget. With the help of American Hard Bags, we got a system that has been everything and more that we hoped for. Amp, crossovers, DSP, fairing speakers, bag speakers with new lids, tweeters front and rear, wiring harness and tuning.

I'm not an expert, I'm just having fun and enjoying learning as I go. I'm blessed to have the ability to add tools as I go. It's an investment that pays for itself over time.And when I am done I have an asset of value I can sell to someone else.

I’m just 7 months from retirement, I really enjoy doing my own work. It is very satisfying and with two motorcycles and the rates and costs of parts these days it is the only way I can afford to keep doing it. I also enjoy helping others and I have a couple of friends retired that will also benefit from this tire machine and the other talents I have acquired. I’ve already changed rear shocks on a friend’s trike, helped two friends with handlebars.

At the current dealership hourly rates, I can pay for this in about five to six tire changes. I get the satisfaction of doing it myself, cleaning the wheels and parts of the bike you cannot access during the process and saving money. This does not include savings of time driving to and from the dealership and waiting two hours.

As for independent shops and especially Cycle Gear, I just do not have confidence in the training, ability and care they provide. Just not for me.

Regarding the inferior tire selection comment going to Michelin, I guess time will tell. I have a good friend that swears by them and I simply what to try something different. I’ll give my honest opinion of them good or bad.

I must laugh at the comment that the Dunlop American Eagles and the HD branded Dunlop’s are entirely different. They are both manufactured in the same plant in Buffalo, NY and designed by the same engineers, and made with the same process and materials on the same type of machines/presses. They had to make them different not to infringe on the HD tire, but if you check the specifications, they are practically the same. This was also confirmed to me by an engineer in Daytona a few years back. Just for the record the company I work for sells to Michelin, Bridgestone and Dunlop. I’ve seen the automotive tires manufactured in SC and I personally call on the Dunlop Aircraft and Bridgestone Aircraft tire plants. I have a little insight.

If you want to come back with specific detailed differences that would prove one better than the other, I am all ears. I like to learn!

A special thank you to rizzo @rizzo and LoneBone @LoneBone . I appreciate your suggestions and help.

Ride safe guys and have a wonderful “Labor Day” holiday.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 08-30-2024 at 06:17 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Bone Doc (09-02-2024), Crazy (09-02-2024), LoneBone (08-30-2024), MarlinSpike (08-31-2024), ngshop (08-31-2024), Tommy C (08-30-2024), Uncle Larry (09-01-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2024, 06:40 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,751 Likes on 6,482 Posts

You're gonna love that machine Cos.

Back when I picked up my machine, I had never used one. There's a bit of a learning curve, and you have to be careful, because you can ruin a new tire if you don't know what you're doing. Best to go low and slow till you figure it out....

The video below I found helped me immensely, and it's EXACTLY how I mount my tires. It's an older video, and he's doing a sport bike tire, but that's irrelevant, the video and his instructions are spot on.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (08-30-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 06:38 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Sweet. Now I know where to go to get mine changed….lol. I have the HF changer but I’ve not used it yet.
Originally Posted by Rob Harper
Maybe CR will give us a 2 for 1 deal if we buy him a BBQ sammich.
Originally Posted by teedoff65
Split three ways. Im about due for a tire change. lol

My 17 had 17k on it before needing new tires. I take my bike to busted knuckle for all my work. He changed my tires, to the commander 3's and did the front brakes all for 549 if I remember. I know prices have gone up since then though. Due for a service in the next few weeks with him. My 20 is going on 15k, so I know new tires are coming.
Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Tough crowd ... He wasn't trying to please everyone, just himself ... Are appointments necessary? ... Asking for a friend ":>
Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I for a BBQ sammich run Rob… I’m sure we can pick it up on the way…lol

Maybe you need to throw in a half rack of ribs on that deal!

Uncle Larry, you never need an appointment. Come on down my friend.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Mongo1958 (08-31-2024), Uncle Larry (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 06:58 AM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 543 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I've changed tires using irons on my old dirt bikes but never on a street bike. How tough is it to do using irons?
I do it with irons and it isn't bad. Taking the rear wheel off is the bike the hardest part of the whole job for me. I need to come up with a better bead breaker than a C clamp though.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rusty Springs:
Cosmic Razorback (08-31-2024), MarlinSpike (08-31-2024), Mongo1958 (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 07:13 AM
MarlinSpike
Road Master
Received 623 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
I do it with irons and it isn't bad. Taking the rear wheel off is the bike the hardest part of the whole job for me. I need to come up with a better bead breaker than a C clamp though.
The HF unit works fantastic and was very reasonable. When I bought mine I think it was $30.
It also doubles as a steel "T" pole remover... Yeah, 50 of those bastards.

Rusty Springs (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 07:18 AM
Mongo1958
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Really nice tire changer. Let us know how it works out... Hell I should pick one up. Tired of fighting with my No-Mar. I'm actually faster with just Irons...
Yeah, I got rid of my No Mar, years ago. Mostly because of space needed in the garage. In the long run, it was also simply more convenient to take the wheel to my Indy Shop and let them do it.

Cosmic Razorback (08-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Tires & Tire Changer - My Decision