General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires & Tire Changer - My Decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 10:04 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,205 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Love it, Cosmic! Well done, sir!

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 05:41 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,035 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Nice job, beautiful bikes.

Those OE Dunlops are one of the stiffest, & worse the older they get.

Marking the axle cams before removing makes belt adjustment easier, and you can see if it moved when tightening the axle.

1/4oz wheel weights for more fine tuned balancing 👍

Old 09-08-2024, 06:12 AM
Tjroadie
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Mission accomplished! Never ran the Continetals, been wanting to but my local indy shop won't install anything but the HD Dunlops. They're a good tire but they cup something awful. Curious about Metzlers too.

Old 09-08-2024, 08:09 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

Many swear that tire pressure monitoring ( OCD ) will decrease the problem of cupping significantly

Old 09-08-2024, 08:48 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

outstanding. i really like not being at the mercy of the dealership, and being able to do it on your own schedule. i am not a fan, however, of having the manual changer kick my *** each time. lol...

be careful laying your wheel down on the brake rotor. some folks say they are made of 'sugar glass' and will warp if you look at them wrong. i've never had one warp, but i take care not to chance it just the same.

Old 09-08-2024, 08:51 AM
Tjroadie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Many swear that tire pressure monitoring ( OCD ) will decrease the problem of cupping significantly
I run 2 up 90% of the time. Tried pressures couple pounds up on a set and couple pounds down a set. Just believe it's the design of the tire and compound.

Old 09-08-2024, 11:05 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts
Default First Test Ride

Okay, I took Ginger for the first ride today. Man it is absolutely gorgeous weather here in the Carolina's.

My first observation was in the shop on my concrete floor. Man these are sticky noisy. I can turn the front tire on the Dunlops and not much resistance. These things sound like dragging you finger nails down a chalk board.

The second observation was all the gravel they were picking up as I rode out the driveway. Like someone throwing gravel at me on the underside of the fenders. I was not expecting this at all looking at the tread pattern.

Just another example of a new tire vs a well worn tire.

I did a 15 mile test ride that started out on two lanes with 55 mph speeds. First impressions were excellent. They are so sticky that it is clearly accelerating faster.

I took it easy just making sure everything felt right, and everything was operating correctly.

I'm very happy to report that the balance it spot on. I'm very proud of that. I circled back and jumped on I-40 and ran her up.to 75 mph and was at the next exit too quickly. Traffic is very heavy out today so I did not get crazy.

Making the turn back on I-40 for a couple of more miles I was able to run up to 80 mph and still just as smooth as glass. Before returning home I hit a parking lot and made a couple of circles.

I look forward to reporting back when I get a few thousand miles on these. I'm not trashing Dunlop in any way. I have ran nothing but Dunlop on 6 touring bikes now over 16 year and 160k miles. I have never had any complaints. But the question is whether they are the best, is there something better? For me I am just ready to experiment and see first hand how other brands stack up. Time will tell.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Ghetto blaster (09-08-2024), Goose_NC (09-09-2024), skratch (09-08-2024), Tjroadie (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 12:14 PM
Tjroadie
Cruiser

Remember new shoes are covered in a mold release coating that can be quite slick till it's scrubbed off. A gravel lane us probably the best thing to clean them up.

Old 09-08-2024, 06:40 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,695 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Okay, I took Ginger for the first ride today. Man it is absolutely gorgeous weather here in the Carolina's.

My first observation was in the shop on my concrete floor. Man these are sticky noisy. I can turn the front tire on the Dunlops and not much resistance. These things sound like dragging you finger nails down a chalk board.

The second observation was all the gravel they were picking up as I rode out the driveway. Like someone throwing gravel at me on the underside of the fenders. I was not expecting this at all looking at the tread pattern.

Just another example of a new tire vs a well worn tire.

I did a 15 mile test ride that started out on two lanes with 55 mph speeds. First impressions were excellent. They are so sticky that it is clearly accelerating faster.

I took it easy just making sure everything felt right, and everything was operating correctly.

I'm very happy to report that the balance it spot on. I'm very proud of that. I circled back and jumped on I-40 and ran her up.to 75 mph and was at the next exit too quickly. Traffic is very heavy out today so I did not get crazy.

Making the turn back on I-40 for a couple of more miles I was able to run up to 80 mph and still just as smooth as glass. Before returning home I hit a parking lot and made a couple of circles.

I look forward to reporting back when I get a few thousand miles on these. I'm not trashing Dunlop in any way. I have ran nothing but Dunlop on 6 touring bikes now over 16 year and 160k miles. I have never had any complaints. But the question is whether they are the best, is there something better? For me I am just ready to experiment and see first hand how other brands stack up. Time will tell.

That's great, I'm glad your first impressions are good considering you installed an "inferior" tire. I like mine, as they "wear in" they won't pick up as much debris.

Last edited by rizzo; 09-08-2024 at 06:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rizzo:
Cosmic Razorback (09-08-2024), Uncle Larry (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 07:33 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
NICE . . . . but kinda overkill. I have been changing tires on all 3 of our Harley's for years. Harbor Freight Tire Changer with the motorcycle wheel accessory. Set the base on the garage floor, marked and drilled 4 holes. Sunk concrete anchors in the holes. When needed, pull it out, bolt it down and about 30 minutes per tire. I am impressed, you bought tire lube AND a brush!!!!! Guess ya never thought of some dish soap in a spray bottle.
that's what I got, with the nomar bar. I bought a "duck head" im building a bar for.

Cosmic Razorback (09-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Tires & Tire Changer - My Decision