General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Here What Jobs Let You Ride During Your Work Day

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 04:39 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,647 Likes on 787 Posts

Own my own small company. I work from home some (doing engineered drawings, proposals, invoicing, zoom meetings with architects, builders, designers and home owners…) So I can go grab lunch on the bike. I also check and walk construction sites often, so once in a while I take a bike. Can’t always.. still have many face to face meetings in offices, on job sites and in clients homes.

The following users liked this post:
Rob Harper (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 07:58 AM
GBHH
Road Master
Received 584 Likes on 315 Posts

Got my MC endorsement thru the job, three days at Floyd Bennett airfield, cold windy days.
Rode around on a Yamaha 175 scooter whenever I wanted.
I would get lectured to not ride in below freezing temps.
They would forget, and I'd ride anyway.
Bicycle too, unless torrential rain.
"I can't means, I won't"

Rob Harper (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 08:16 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 551 Likes on 350 Posts

I did audiovisual for a college for 28 years. We had multiple campuses spread hours apart in any direction. Luckily as a manager, I had more of a desk job and was rarely a time where I had to pickup and run. The on-site IT guys could usually handle the situation. If I was delivering equipment, then of course, I would take the truck. Sometimes, however, I would need to take a change of clothes if I were doing a scheduled event. Or again, just drive the truck for that day.

Now I am working AV in healthcare with hospitals spread 30-90 minutes apart. We do support and the nature of the game these days (in terms of technology) is that I may need to pick up and run to any of those places at any time. I also need tools and basic supplies to do all that. We're a 2-man team so if I am leaving after work to drop off my bike or heading out on a weekend bike trip, I need to make special arrangements and be very clear I will be on the bike that given day. Honestly this job is a PITA in that respect. I would be much better suited to have a desk job again. Just not as a manager. Oh well.

The following 2 users liked this post by bduds65:
Rains2much (08-28-2024), Rob Harper (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 11:54 AM
08xl1200r
Road Captain
Received 382 Likes on 241 Posts

Long ago I worked for a blueprint service in San Francisco, (my hometown) would pick up drawings from clients and return later with blueprints, did that on my motorcycle. Great job but I was doing it on a VERY unreliable Norton Commando and ultimately that didn't work out....

Rob Harper (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 12:29 PM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,493 Likes on 790 Posts

I have my real job that I ride to/from as often as possible. 75 miles round trip. Rode today.

Then I have my fun job working as sales, event coverage. Often includes some type of charity poker run or sometimes ride to bike rallies etc. The dude with the red panhead is my boss. Subscribe to the Best Motorcycle Magazine for Exclusive Events Coverage (fullthrottlemagazine.com)

For you folks that watch YouTube motorcycle content, last month I rode with Adam Sandoval, Doodle on a Motorcycle and Scooter Tramp Scotty.

Last edited by Rob Harper; 08-28-2024 at 12:30 PM. Reason: clarify
Cap77 (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 12:55 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,647 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by bduds65
I did audiovisual for a college for 28 years. We had multiple campuses spread hours apart in any direction. Luckily as a manager, I had more of a desk job and was rarely a time where I had to pickup and run. The on-site IT guys could usually handle the situation. If I was delivering equipment, then of course, I would take the truck. Sometimes, however, I would need to take a change of clothes if I were doing a scheduled event. Or again, just drive the truck for that day.

Now I am working AV in healthcare with hospitals spread 30-90 minutes apart. We do support and the nature of the game these days (in terms of technology) is that I may need to pick up and run to any of those places at any time. I also need tools and basic supplies to do all that. We're a 2-man team so if I am leaving after work to drop off my bike or heading out on a weekend bike trip, I need to make special arrangements and be very clear I will be on the bike that given day. Honestly this job is a PITA in that respect. I would be much better suited to have a desk job again. Just not as a manager. Oh well.
Wouldn’t mind talking to you about your service. My company could add and absorb the scope you provide. I didn’t realize that niche was even there. Makes sense

bduds65 (09-03-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 01:23 PM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 551 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
Wouldn’t mind talking to you about your service. My company could add and absorb the scope you provide. I didn’t realize that niche was even there. Makes sense
If you are looking to recruit me for a job in sunny Florida, I am all ears. Overall I really like what I do but that is all about to change in some manner - long story.

Sure, please send me a message on here ad we can connect. Thanks

Old 08-28-2024, 02:41 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,063 Likes on 6,683 Posts

Oversaw two satellite plants about 25 miles apart, for about 10 years. Made out on the gas reimbursement, because the bike had better mileage.

Old 08-28-2024, 02:51 PM
EasyGoin
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't get to ride during work (except lunch) spend most of the day in an office, with a window, which is good & bad...
There is a HD dealer right around the corner and their test rides go right past my window as well as the service tech testing.

Old 08-28-2024, 03:16 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyGoin
I don't get to ride during work (except lunch) spend most of the day in an office, with a window, which is good & bad...
There is a HD dealer right around the corner and their test rides go right past my window as well as the service tech testing.
Talk about distraction! At least you got lunch rides.

Quick Reply: Let's Here What Jobs Let You Ride During Your Work Day