General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing another Motorcycle with my Harley.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2024, 07:19 AM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,181 Likes on 2,641 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I cant drive a car/truck.
if you don't mind sharing, what disability (or other reason) prevents one from driving a car/truck, but allows one to ride a Harley like a hooligan?

..L.T.A.

Last edited by Cap77; 09-01-2024 at 07:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bricklayer (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 08:19 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,827 Likes on 19,324 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I cant drive a car/truck.
I think you should level that rig out ??

Good Lookin' Jeep

Old 09-01-2024, 08:45 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,038 Likes on 7,310 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I think you should level that rig out ??

Good Lookin' Jeep

Being single Axle you can get away without uneven wear / load on other axles, but you have to be concerned with proper tongue weight for safety.

Uncle Larry (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 10:30 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

The problem with braking/stopping with a trailer being pulled by a motorcycle (only one wheel rear axle. A trike would be better off. One tire contact patch side load friction patch with brakes applied way to dangerous) is when you are in a curve and apply brakes the trailer will want to wash out the rear of the bike, spinning you out.
I have seen four such instances on interstate off ramps through the years with **** scattered everywhere. They all had fatalities.
If your trailer had electric or surge brakes, it would help.

Last edited by timbo141; 09-01-2024 at 10:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by timbo141:
Cosmic Razorback (09-01-2024), s-glide76 (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 10:56 AM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,296 Likes on 588 Posts

Had dreamed of towing my dirt bike behind by bike, but realized that if I rip/tear/sprain something or brake a bone then I have two bikes stuck at the track and no way to self transport to the ER.

Old 09-01-2024, 01:31 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I strongly disagree with you about using the rear axle or swing arm pivot as a mounting point for the hitch. The frame makes a far superior mounting for a hitch.
It's called unsprung weight. You don't want the hitch mounted to cause the tongue weight to be unsprung weight.

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Then there's brakes. Your bike's brakes will be fine for a typical little cargo trailer to carry your camping gear on. But towing the weight of a bike will push you hard, and could overwhelm your bikes brakes. I'd seriously consider a trailer with electric brakes for that. You may even have a legal need for that, depending on what your state thinks of a vehicle up on a trailer.
I believe you'll find that most bikes that tow a heavier trailer have dual discs on the front wheel. The Fatboy has only a single disc and hence a poor motorcycle choice for towing a trailer.

Old 09-01-2024, 02:08 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Besides braking power, what has always concerned me about towing with a bike is emergency maneuvers and emergency braking.

Many disagree I realize.

They say I don't even know it is there when pulling. How about when a deer runs out or cars pulls out?

Tommy C (09-01-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 12:11 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,912 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap77
if you don't mind sharing, what disability (or other reason) prevents one from driving a car/truck, but allows one to ride a Harley like a hooligan?

..L.T.A.
I think I've explained this elsewhere in the forums but it's not difficult to share again.

I have Dyspraxia, or Developmental Coordination Disorder.
I was born with it and diagnosed the same time I was diagnosed with ADHD(they assumed they are associated), and Dyspraxia causes coordination problems.
There's no cure or treatment that really resolves the issue.

It can affect people in different ways, but for me specifically "crossover" patterns of movement and action are where I have A LOT of difficulty executing tasks.
If certain tasks overlap highly with other actions, it creates a lot of "crossed wires" in my head which makes taking action or making the correct action often times quite difficult or delayed.
The way modern cars are designed, they have A LOT of crossover in the actions you take to handle them, so it creates a ton of problems in with me trying to get my hands to work.
Steering wheels and turn signal stalks are the biggest issues I have, and pressing the correct pedal is also very problematic. Essentially the way a car is designed is such that it creates a significant and incredibly diffucult to handle mixed and problematic signals out to my hands and feet.
You may even see this issue pop up quite often in my forum posts here.
You'll see a lot of my posts are edited because I have to go back and fix things. Like sometimes the grammar of my wording is completely backwards. I'll write words with their letters out of order, entire words missing, flipped letters, and other small issues. I do the exact same with hand writing. I very often write letters backwards or in incorrect order, or entirely the wrong word.
Cars just happen to be designed in such a way that it's quite difficult for me to handle.
I also get very anxious and panicking nervous trying to drive something with somany blind spots and that I cant see where the object is at.
6feet to the right of me is nothing but machine, I cant see where the car is at. 6 feet behind is is also metal I cant see through. There's pillars everywhere.
Inability to safely take the correct action, combined with the panick and anxiety of not being able to see everything at a glance makes driving a car, for me personally, incredibly distressing and avoidant and unsafe.
And I am not going to be arrogant and think I'm fine and put other people's lives at risk by trying to pilot a 4000lb+ 60mph+ massive missile, while towing my dream motorcycle behind it.

But a motorcycle?
Motorcycles are setup with a dramatically different approach, and they've been optimized over the decades to be very intuitively operated.
Motorcycles each task is a unique action, and they are divided away from one another.
You cant pull the clutch lever the wrong way and get throttle. It goes in, you loose power, you let go of it and it goes out on it's own and it allows power through. It's on the left.
Front brake is a distinct action from the clutch, and it's on the right side. It's away from the clutch, the rear brake, the shifter. And it is near the throttle but Throttle and Brake Lever are distinctly VERY different behaviors. So there is no cross over. I dont have to worry about "add throttle" turning into "front brake" in my hand.
The shifter is ALWAYS the left foot. There is no way it can be mistaken as a brake. It's commanded by a uniquely different action and neuropathway from the rear brake or front brake or throttle.

That and how do you turn a motorcycle? Push Left, Bike Goes Left, Push Right, Bike goes Right. When in a turn you lean over the tank to the inside. You point your knee to the inside.
See how none of the actions cross over to the wrong side? This helps a lot with making sure there's no cross over issues between actions.
Dyspraxia dysfunction is greatly exacerbated by actions that can have similarities too, or dominate priority over other actions. Motorcycles dont do this, but cars do this A LOT.
Also on a bike, no pillars, no large spans of metal. I can see EXACTLY where that front tire is, I can see exactly where that crashbar is at, I can see everything. I flick of my eyes and turn my head and I can blind spot check in a fraction of a second where in a car I have to account for pillars and if I can see around them.

I actually use a special mouse on my computer that I use to move commands away from each other in video games so that I can learn to play a new video game without having to deal with the issues of my hand not being able to execute certain actions.
The best coping strategy is to Divide and Conquer. And motorcycles are setup exactly that way and it makes it so that I can confidently pilot a motorcycle, yet have a ton of issues with driving a car.

The following 6 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Architect (09-06-2024), Cap77 (09-06-2024), foxtrapper (09-06-2024), Goose_NC (09-06-2024), Prot (09-09-2024), WP50 (09-06-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-06-2024, 02:03 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,674 Likes on 4,224 Posts

you asked

yes....generally, it actually is a really stupid idea

for anyone, but in a very particular way, for you especially

this ranks up there as the single stupidest thing I've heard someone suggest on these boards besides carrying ball bearings in their pocket to release behind you when a cager pisses you off

Old 09-06-2024, 03:05 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by timbo141
The problem with braking/stopping with a trailer being pulled by a motorcycle (only one wheel rear axle. A trike would be better off. One tire contact patch side load friction patch with brakes applied way to dangerous) is when you are in a curve and apply brakes the trailer will want to wash out the rear of the bike, spinning you out.
I have seen four such instances on interstate off ramps through the years with **** scattered everywhere. They all had fatalities.
If your trailer had electric or surge brakes, it would help.
Brakes on a trailer behind a motorcycle (two wheels) can help as much as it hurts. Hard to dial in the brake controller on the motorcycle because the conditions change. Upright straight line braking can be done well. Leaned over in a corner and the trailer brakes can drag one down if adjusted too tight. My 2500 nor my 3500 lean in corners and the trailer brakes on my 33 foot toy hauler are easily adjusted.