General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing another Motorcycle with my Harley.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 04:12 PM
aharleyrider
Advanced
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I'm looking at getting a 2nd bike that can handle Dirt and Track.
As nicely built as my fat boy is, it's not a bike I can really take to the track.
So I want to get a bike that can handle track, but also is capable of riding dirt.
That's the thing my fat boy cant really do is track and dirt.
So I'm looking into getting a bike that can do both, and I've landed on the Versys650 or some other ST/Mini ADV bikes.
I'd like to tow said bike for getting to the track if if there's a problem with it or something like that, and I'm curious now, has anyone else here built up a motorcycle towing situation with your Harley?
I'm thinking an M8 making 110/125 rear wheel is probably capable of hauling a 500lb motorcycle behind it, and I have a massive retire and ofc the standard big rear brake rotor for dealing with stopping the extra weight.
I've seen plenty of people haul 100lb trailers loaded with stuff on their baggers. I was thinking maybe a platform hitch where the front wheel of the towed bike sits in it and is strapped in straight and level, then the rear wheel rides on the ground, and I disconnect the chain so it can freewheel and not spin anything but the rear wheel.
Is this a genuinely stupid idea? Or is this something people do and it just requires creativity and better riding skills?
Surely you know one person with a tow hitch. Rent the $15 motorcycle trailer from Uhaul, or rent the 10' box truck with a ramp.

"Can my vehicle pull this?" is rarely the issue. "Can I stop this" and "how will this affect handling" are far more pressing.

The following 2 users liked this post by aharleyrider:
2AMGuy (08-30-2024), Addicted to Chaos (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 08:01 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,188 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC

My TimeOut camper weighs up to 650 pounds. That's my max weight that I set for myself. I know folks tow more, but I will not.
I'd love to see a picture of this. I've been wondering if it was possible to tow a small camping trailer with my RGS. I do have a tent and sleeping bag for carrying on my bike.

Old 08-28-2024, 06:49 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
*snip*

Tire pressure becomes an interesting game with a motorcycle cargo trailer. Mine weighed something like 40 lbs, so that trailer tires were ridiculously overkill. I ended up at something like 2 psi in them to get a ride that wasn't bouncing everywhere. Maybe something like 4-6 psi when loaded up fairly heavily.
*snip*
What cargo trailer weighs only 40 pounds? Something you built?

Old 08-28-2024, 09:30 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,644 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
What cargo trailer weighs only 40 pounds? Something you built?
It was something I'd never heard of, nor ever ran into again. Don't remember the name.

It was a clamshell design, smaller than most car top carriers. Thin fiberglass with a minute thin walled square tube "frame" under it. A thin inverted U axle and a single leaf spring on each side. The trailer wheels were the heaviest thing about it.

It was awkward, but I could easily handle the weight and carry it around. In fact for some time I used to carry it in and out of my apartment, to keep it from getting stolen.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 12:58 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
How are you going to stop it?
come on man...do you think the Wright Brothers were worried about how they were going to land? Im sure they just figured they were going to crash somewhere but still we all have our hopes and dreams right?

Old 08-28-2024, 03:04 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by JefFLH
My friend has done it back in the day. i don't think I would, at least not with his set-up.

I just sent this pic to Webster and Wikipedia to include under the phrase "Sketchy Setup". Lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
GBHH (08-29-2024), JefFLH (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 09:24 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,305 Likes on 6,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
I just sent this pic to Webster and Wikipedia to include under the phrase "Sketchy Setup". Lol
LOL, I get nervous just looking at it.

Calif Fat Bob (08-29-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 07:06 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,912 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Gonna be looking into towing ebikes instead. My emoto is a converted ebike, and I know of some great offroad tires for it that are cheap, I got an offroad E kick scooter, and prebuilt eMountainbikes are looking like better and better trail riding options for enjoying where my harley reaches the end of the road.

Old 09-01-2024, 12:34 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,685 Likes on 6,676 Posts

May I suggest buying a Jeep and a trailer?

Paintslinger16 (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 12:56 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,912 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
May I suggest buying a Jeep and a trailer?

I cant drive a car/truck.

Quick Reply: Towing another Motorcycle with my Harley.