General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Inventory

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2024, 10:57 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
So walking into someone’s work wasting their time isn’t a problem?
The guy is a dreamer, bored or both.
I sold consumer electronics in the 90's. we had our share of people wasting your time and thats okay but we had this one middle age couple ( the wife was one of my High School teachers ) that would drop in the store most every Friday night, right after dinner, toothpick in hand.... He would grab a salesman and say I got a few questions about this big TV or whatnot and like clockwork would take 1.5 hours and sometime keep the store open after closing ( we did that back then when on commission and ready for a sale ), That man would plan his evening with the salesperson to the second, giving all indication he was buying only to walk out 10 min after store closing then return the next Friday and do the same thing only this time with a different item and a new salesperson.

This went on for months and was clear this was part of his entertainment for the weekend ( dinner and a show ) and my sales staff was the entertainment.

However with time he became know to the entire staff and when he and she would would walk in the sales staff would scatter like cockroaches. After a few months of my staff staying late and bending over backwards for this guy every employee would literally run away from this couple.

This couple was the exception but you have a few people like this that are looking for free entertainment and a hungry salesperson is a easy target.
However, people like this get marked and when actually need help, well good luck...

Last edited by Soundman5000; 08-24-2024 at 11:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Soundman5000:
aharleyrider (08-25-2024), dynoking (08-27-2024), strokelessone (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 04:42 AM
strokelessone
Tourer

Received 206 Likes on 127 Posts

So in other words you are a LIAR and a STROKER.
Sure

Old 08-25-2024, 04:51 AM
strokelessone
Tourer

....and like I said, the entire conversation took less than 10 minutes and there wasn't a soul in the dealership. I've been known to be an *******, but I wouldn't take up someones time when he could possibly be making a sale with another customer. All, yes ALL, salesmen play the game to get as much out of you as possible, its kind of their job and I don't fault them for it, but if and when I ever decide to buy a new bike off of Harley, I am going to try and get the best possible deal I can. I am quite content with the bike I have right now, and until Harley starts making changes at the top and quit all their woke bullcrap, I wouldn't even think of buying a bike off of them. You are kind of correct though, I was having them work on my bike and had an hour to kill and the sales guy approached me.... so yeah, I was bored. You seem a little grumpy, you ok bro?

Old 08-25-2024, 04:59 AM
strokelessone
Tourer

Originally Posted by Soundman5000
I sold consumer electronics in the 90's. we had our share of people wasting your time and thats okay but we had this one middle age couple ( the wife was one of my High School teachers ) that would drop in the store most every Friday night, right after dinner, toothpick in hand.... He would grab a salesman and say I got a few questions about this big TV or whatnot and like clockwork would take 1.5 hours and sometime keep the store open after closing ( we did that back then when on commission and ready for a sale ), That man would plan his evening with the salesperson to the second, giving all indication he was buying only to walk out 10 min after store closing then return the next Friday and do the same thing only this time with a different item and a new salesperson.

This went on for months and was clear this was part of his entertainment for the weekend ( dinner and a show ) and my sales staff was the entertainment.

However with time he became know to the entire staff and when he and she would would walk in the sales staff would scatter like cockroaches. After a few months of my staff staying late and bending over backwards for this guy every employee would literally run away from this couple.

This couple was the exception but you have a few people like this that are looking for free entertainment and a hungry salesperson is a easy target.
However, people like this get marked and when actually need help, well good luck...
I was in sales while in high school for my last two years and even though I didn't always make a sale, sometimes other opportunities arose. Sometimes its just nice to chat with people, and picking out the window shoppers and tire kickers is essential, especially if you are commission based.

The following users liked this post:
Soundman5000 (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 05:58 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I stopped by the RideNow dealership in Concord, NC. I've never seen so many bikes on the floor and outside. Few H-Ds though. Surprisingly good markdowns on used bikes. I don't need a bike and had a hard time walking away from the pricing on a used R18, S1000XR, and a Hypermotard.

aharleyrider (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 08:37 AM
redfin00
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
My dealer has 72 2024 touring models on the floor and outside, not to mention the new non-touring models and the used bikes. It’s crazy. I’ve never seen this many new bikes at this dealership before.
which dealer?

Old 08-25-2024, 06:21 PM
aharleyrider
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

You sure do enjoy complaining about people that are mulling over a purchase decision. If it was a $50 pair of shoes, your belly aching might be understandable. When it's a five figure purchase, it is not.

Let's not pretend like dealerships don't waste exponentially, or even logarithmically, more of our time than we do of theirs. That's straight out of the salesman's tactics manual they get on day one; the better the deal you try and negotiate, the more of your time they try to waste. Hell, I've had to sit around waiting, asking what was taking so long, even when I had cash in hand and was waiting to pay and leave.

This is the reality of sales, whether you're a dealership or just some guy trying to sell his bike. You will encounter tire kickers, low ballers, and people who change their minds.

Last edited by aharleyrider; 08-25-2024 at 06:24 PM.
s-glide76 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 06:38 PM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 878 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by aharleyrider
You sure do enjoy complaining about people that are mulling over a purchase decision. If it was a $50 pair of shoes, your belly aching might be understandable. When it's a five figure purchase, it is not.

Let's not pretend like dealerships don't waste exponentially, or even logarithmically, more of our time than we do of theirs. That's straight out of the salesman's tactics manual they get on day one; the better the deal you try and negotiate, the more of your time they try to waste. Hell, I've had to sit around waiting, asking what was taking so long, even when I had cash in hand and was waiting to pay and leave.

This is the reality of sales, whether you're a dealership or just some guy trying to sell his bike. You will encounter tire kickers, low ballers, and people who change their minds.
LOL you really don’t have a clue or an idea of what you are talking about.

Old 08-25-2024, 07:35 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,933 Likes on 974 Posts

I wonder if the guy who lied to the salesman about having bought a different bike chimed in on the "lying salesman" thread 🤔

The following 2 users liked this post by YZR:
Germansheperd (08-25-2024), Keithhu (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 08:16 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,203 Likes on 3,424 Posts

Believe me, the amount of salesmen's time I've wasted over the years pales in comparison to the amount of MY time they've wasted playing their stupid games. And I'm sure most of the members here have had similar experiences.

You might not like it but whatever bad reputation salesmen have, they've earned fair and square.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dynamick:
aharleyrider (08-25-2024), hd4evr2008 (08-28-2024), s-glide76 (08-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Dealer Inventory