General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Fred H
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glasses

Need to get prescription riding specs that change from light to dark any recommendations ?[8D][8D][8D]

Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glasses

I always carry a regular pair and have another in dark green tint. Whatever, for riding I'd stick with plastic frames, no screws to fall out at the wrong time. That second pair came in real handy whenI lost a lens at a rest stop just north of Sacramento one time on my way back to AZ

Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 PM
06train
Road Warrior

Got mine @ the wal-mart store.........Sport glasses I think...Has the foam seal ,,,I love m..

Old 09-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Fred H

Need to get prescription riding specs that change from light to dark any recommendations ?[8D][8D][8D]
You shouldn't have any trouble ordering a set of UV sensitive lenses from just about any place that sells glasses. Last time I replaced my eye glasses I upgraded to theUV sensitive lenses and they work great. The transition from light to dark and back again is seamless and happens faster than I would have expected.

Good luck,
Steve R.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Sorry, accidental duplicate post.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:06 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll stick with using two pair of glasses. One with darker smoked lens, and a second pair with clear lens.

The 'light adjusting' glasses do a decent job for many conditions, but don't get crystal clear for riding at night, and don't get dark enough for the blazing sun we have here in the midwest.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

The 'light adjusting' glasses do a decent job for many conditions, but don't get crystal clear for riding at night, and don't get dark enough for the blazing sun we have here in the midwest.
I'm wearing mine indoors as I'm typing this and had to take them off to look but they're pretty darned clear right now. As for not getting dark enough in bright sunlight, mine change tint gradually enough that I generally don't notice that they've darkened that much until I take them off. They aren't that bad! For me, so far, so good, although they probably aren't as dark as my darkest sunglasses are. Most times, I'm wearing my contacts and wind up carrying around the regular, non-prescription, sunglasses anyway.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Arizona Flash
Cruiser

I have "Transitions" brand for riding. I'm almost blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, so I need glasses all the time and hate the changing back and forth juggle. I picked out a nice plastic curved frame for riding and they made the very light plastic Transitions lenses fit very well. They work OK. Fine for me. They get completely clear out of the sun, but not as dark as I would like them to be in the sun. They change very fast, though. Faster than my tired old eyes can adjust. If you are going to consider "Transitions" lenses, have them "UV Zap" an example so you know how dark they get (or how dark they don't get). Overall, I'm happy with mine.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine are Raybans with Transtional lenses. They are good for any riding except heavy rain because the rain gets in behind them and runs down in my eyes.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:58 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sanford

Mine are Raybans with Transtional lenses. They are good for any riding except heavy rain because the rain gets in behind them and runs down in my eyes.

I have the same thing . . . . . Rayban sunglass frames with "shatter resistant" plastic transition lenses. Keep in mind . . . the plastic transition lenses get darker than the glass transition lenses, for riding you would want plastic anyways. I have a pair of both and really like them.

Quick Reply: Glasses