General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Most Reliable Harley-Davidson Engines Ever Built

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 03:52 AM
PeterB
Road Master
Received 923 Likes on 417 Posts

No mention of the 45 Flathead? Thousands left over from World War 2 in 1945 are still going today. I have been riding mine since 1972.
You can't kill those things.
Or the J and F models from the 1920s? My grandfather's 1923 F model is still hauling his great-great-grandkids around in the sidecar today too.

The following 2 users liked this post by PeterB:
Architect (08-21-2024), NM Pan-shovel (08-27-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 12:27 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I can't speak on any previuous HD motors, but here's my experience:

I had 81k miles on my 96 TC with no mechanical issues - until my Indy upgraded the cam at 75k. His work lasted 5k before all hell broke loose. I had to have it rebuilt. I have 2k on the rebuild (dealer) and it runs great! I have a friend who put 150k with no issues on his TC Road King before it was taken out in a crash (he walked away). I have 32k on my 107 M8 with no issues. I have both my bikes serviced regularly.

Old 08-21-2024, 03:43 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 392 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by scott7d
I've never understood the endearing aspect of this. Maybe some people feel validated by things breaking and being able to fix it. I'm sure the motor company loves seeing people with this attitude as well ($$$). But I'm glad my high mileage M8 has been super dependable and hasn't required major wrenching. That means more road time.
It's not really endearing, it's a fact of life. Things break, we should know how they work, and how to effect a repair.

When your bike dies it helps to know what went wrong and how to fix it. Even if the parts are a day or two away. Or you absolutely have to pay someone else to do the work.

Plus, doing your own work frees up bread for other important pursuits , like *****, beer, and weed....well it did years ago at least. Most importantly, it feels good, and is rewarding.

Sheesh, kids now days.

The following 3 users liked this post by Trumpet:
Architect (08-22-2024), Tommy C (08-23-2024), Von_Zipper (08-23-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 05:06 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,646 Likes on 786 Posts

The Author should be sentenced to ride an OCC built chopper for the next ten years. Make it a theme bike that pays homage to the AMC Pacer. His tool kit should consist of duct tape, zip ties and jB weld.

Last edited by Rains2much; 08-21-2024 at 05:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rains2much:
Architect (08-22-2024), NM Pan-shovel (08-27-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 05:39 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,674 Likes on 4,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpet
It's not really endearing, it's a fact of life. Things break, we should know how they work, and how to effect a repair.

When your bike dies it helps to know what went wrong and how to fix it. Even if the parts are a day or two away. Or you absolutely have to pay someone else to do the work.

Plus, doing your own work frees up bread for other important pursuits , like *****, beer, and weed....well it did years ago at least. Most importantly, it feels good, and is rewarding.

Sheesh, kids now days.
this is a smart response to an ignorant comment…not sure why you even tried…but well said

The following users liked this post:
Trumpet (08-29-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 09:28 AM
NM Pan-shovel
Road Master
Received 501 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
If you are not going to list the 45 ci Flathead, why are you even writing the article. Listing newer motors, just stupid.
I would add the Panhead, which so long as one changes the oil and adjusts the valves (we're talking 30 minutes of work with 3 or 4 hand tools) is bullet proof.

Old 08-27-2024, 10:22 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,300 Likes on 6,116 Posts

I cant believe you guys missed this little gem...

Finally, we have the Evolution 883, which has appeared in some of the more popular, top-selling Harley models including the Sportster and Softailover the years.

What year was the Softail 883 introduced?

panheadache (09-01-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 01:36 PM
NM Pan-shovel
Road Master

Sheesh, kids now days.
Endearing really isn't the right term. It's more of a zen thing and hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced the 'larger than the sum of its parts' connection to a vintage motorcycle.

Regardless, you've certainly got your priorities in the right order: (i) wrenching & riding (kind of a chicken or egg proposition with a Panhead), (ii) *****, and (iii) one's choice of beverage. Although I've been known to reverse the order of the first and second categories...

Last edited by NM Pan-shovel; 08-27-2024 at 01:40 PM.
Trumpet (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 04:10 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 392 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by NM Pan-shovel
Endearing really isn't the right term. It's more of a zen thing and hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced the 'larger than the sum of its parts' connection to a vintage motorcycle.

Regardless, you've certainly got your priorities in the right order: (i) wrenching & riding (kind of a chicken or egg proposition with a Panhead), (ii) *****, and (iii) one's choice of beverage. Although I've been known to reverse the order of the first and second categories...

Been a ride, *****, weed, hard liquor kind of guy. Ride was always first.... but priorities change :big smile

Now it's kind of ride, retire, *****, coffee.

I rather feel bad for any rider that hasn't lived beyond push button bikes.

As for our endearing buddy here, I'm sure he'll find the dick of his dreams eventually.

Ps, nice pan? Or is it a genny shovel

Last edited by Trumpet; 08-29-2024 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 04:29 PM
NM Pan-shovel
Road Master

Been a ride, *****, weed, hard liquor kind of guy. Ride was always first.... but priorities change :big smile

Now it's kind of ride, retire, *****, coffee.

I rather feel bad for any rider that hasn't lived beyond push button bikes.

As for our endearing buddy here, I'm sure he'll find the dick of his dreams eventually.

Ps, nice pan? Or is it a genny shovel
Amen: a man must evolve, but from what to which? That is the question...

Only push-buttons on my bike operate the horn (R/H bar) and the high beam (L/H bar). That's the way I like it.

Thanks very much. Yes - '51 FL (frame, hubs, triple trees, bottom end, tranny) with '66 Shovelhead top-end conversion when it came to me. One head was cracked, so I went with S&S high-flow shovel reproductions, kept the original rocker covers. DIY front disc brake. Currently on the stand for a rebuild, and quite possibly a paint job as the 30-year-old black-and-blue treatment is road worn...

Trumpet (08-29-2024)

Quick Reply: 5 Most Reliable Harley-Davidson Engines Ever Built