General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you replace your helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 04:21 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 2,939 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Well my Bell Pit Boss decided to change itself about the 6 yr mark. Helmet was clean and cared for, kept in the bag when not on me. Put it on was fine, 65 mile ride later, I pull it off and black flakes falling all over me. Every padded surface that had the thin vinyl coating was flaking or gone, zero warning, like flipping a switch. Checking the website, usual disclaimer about the 5 year limit. Designed obsolescence strikes again.
Let us know what you get next.Yours was a good call on that one. I like it a lot as a winter helmet. I just wish it was vented, but very few are, at all. I bought some Bell closable vent covers for the front in order to do a DIY vent job, but the flip up shield prevents that even with the shield removed.

My cheap summer half helmet is vented which keeps my head dry, but is 8 years old and they don’t make them anymore. I’d love to replace it. Super Seer makes one, but actually getting one involves ordering with unknown ship dates, and I just can’t deal with that.

Last edited by gonemad; 08-25-2024 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-25-2024, 06:25 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Gorman
Wear a dew rag. That's what they're for.
I have but it’s so hot. I take the padding out and wash it occasionally. On long trips I wear a Wick away Doo rag but it’s still hot. Depends on the time of year. My upcoming trip up north to Michigan in September might be cool enough to not worry about the heat too much. I also have used a helmet spray like a Febreze in the past. It helped a bit.

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 09:29 AM
Erratikmind
Stellar HDF Member
Received 354 Likes on 260 Posts

I replace my helmet every 3 to 4 years. The combination of mileage, desert sun, and heat, I have to imagine, deteriorates everything.

Calif Fat Bob (08-26-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 10:16 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,208 Likes on 2,886 Posts

I replace mine on my head every time I take a ride. If you were told that helmets were good indefinitely unless damaged how often would you buy a new one. Not often I bet and the helmet companies know that, so....

Last edited by Hey Man; 08-25-2024 at 10:19 AM.
tngarren (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 02:30 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

While I admit that I am not a chemist and know little if anything about EPS, I do know a thing or two about airplanes. Some airplanes are made of carbon fiber and many of them sit outside in the UV and elements all the time; they still fly when they are more than five years old and haven't been known to deteriorate such that they become unairworthy. Mind you, this has nothing to do with EPS, helmet liner or foam degradation and may not even have much to do with the carbon fiber shells on some helmets - just my head scratching ramblings on a Sunday afternoon.

I do agree that if dropped onto something hard, crashed or otherwise compromised - replace it.

I do most often wear a dew rag and rinse/wash that frequently - especially on a helmet without a removable liner, which fortunately I do not have many of.

Does anyone know of a simple way to check the integrity/functionality of the energy absorbing inner materials?

Last edited by Jehu; 08-25-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:27 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

I have a Shoei GT Air II which I really like. I will be retiring it at the end of this season, after 6 years of use.

Old 08-25-2024, 06:53 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,074 Likes on 7,876 Posts

My helmet looks and smells good, fits perfect, and the liner looks almost new. This thread piqued my curiosity and I found the date stamp on the chin strap- 08/99. It's an Arai Signet and when I'm not riding it sits indoors on the corner of the couch. Maybe I'll think about replacing it in another 5 years...

Old 08-25-2024, 09:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
Let us know what you get next.Yours was a good call on that one. I like it a lot as a winter helmet. I just wish it was vented, but very few are, at all. I bought some Bell closable vent covers for the front in order to do a DIY vent job, but the flip up shield prevents that even with the shield removed.

My cheap summer half helmet is vented which keeps my head dry, but is 8 years old and they don’t make them anymore. I’d love to replace it. Super Seer makes one, but actually getting one involves ordering with unknown ship dates, and I just can’t deal with that.
Went with another Pitt Boss, I like the way the helmet fits and rides. Hunted around, they go on sale somewhere for $100 pretty regular. Thought that flip down visor was just a gimmick till I used it a few times, damned handy now.

Old 08-26-2024, 09:17 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 497 Likes on 179 Posts

I was going to replace my GT Air 2 today with a GT Air 3. After I added up the new helmet and new shield I was $800.00 or better.
My GT Air 2 is 3 years old, so I decided it was going to get upgraded with a new interior and visor. This cost me about $175.00 and I can ride on for another year or so!

Old 08-26-2024, 11:36 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
My helmet looks and smells good, fits perfect, and the liner looks almost new. This thread piqued my curiosity and I found the date stamp on the chin strap- 08/99. It's an Arai Signet and when I'm not riding it sits indoors on the corner of the couch. Maybe I'll think about replacing it in another 5 years...
DUDE! The helmet is 25 yrs old! Lol Might be time for a new one.

Quick Reply: How often do you replace your helmet