General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face, full time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2024, 04:42 PM
Hathaway
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

I take my helmet off, anytime I get off my bike. However, when self filling, if the receipt printer on the pump fails, I may go inside with it on, to get a receipt. And yes, I do feel weird about it!
I look at helmets as a "Necessary Inconvenience", considering modern traffic and poor driving habits of some. I notice that many who ride helmet-less, usually are wearing something on their head anyway, so I wear one most of the time.
I do wear a D.O.T. half helmet during warm riding weather. I hear better, and some of the new ones seem lighter and cooler.
Sometimes in the late fall, I ride with a full face type helmet, but usually remove the face shield. I don't like the plastic over my face, yet still get the benefit of the full helmet coverage.
I always wear large Aviator style sunglasses, so I get the "goggles" effect.
The only time I install the face shield, is when it's really cold and blustery ( winter rides). But I crack it open, to avoid fogging.
I would love to be helmet free all of the time, but usually give in to my fears of brain damage, so I begrudgingly wear it.

The only times I ride without a helmet:
When I'm on a lonely 2 lane, way out in the country, or when my speed is less than 25 and the streets are almost empty. That's usually test rides around the block, quick trips to the store in my neighborhood, or inside a state park.

Old 08-15-2024, 06:50 PM
Herrick
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 470004
Nassau County, Long Island, NY new ban on wearing face covering in public; https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...law-rcna166560
The ban goes beyond protecting cultural groups. Blakeman said it will curb crime and address criminals who commit robberies and carjackings while wearing face coverings.

Oh good. These criminals will now think twice about wearing masks because it's illegal to do so while committing a crime.

Anyway, I've never worn my helmet into a store.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (08-16-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 08:05 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 543 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by bduds65
Yeah I have thought any times about firing 9mm blanks into the air when kids cut through my yard. However, I am sure what wouldn't go well. Innocent though right? Perhaps just carry a baseball bat. As they say, I might need a baseball glove too LOL
Carrying a bat wouldn't be as funny and might get me arrested. The pistol 100% legal here but I don't do the open carry thing.

Think old western bank robber.

Old 08-16-2024, 09:57 AM
aharleyrider
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
Is it someone’s “Right” to turn THEIR music up to 11 while wearing a helmet forcing everyone else to listen the THEIR music.. yes.

Is it considerate, kind or even polite NO.
I can't wrap my mind around this sentiment. More and more frequently I find myself in public spaces - beaches, state parks, hiking trails - that are being polluted with noise. People can't go anywhere without blaring some kind of music or whatever they're watching on their phone. While there is an obvious difference between a gas station and a national park, I'm going to go with the "broken windows theory" on this one. If you allow yourself to casually behave like a jerk, but only under certain circumstances, the set of circumstances will slowly grow until it's the rule, rather than the exception.

"Disturbing the peace" would be a stretch in most cases, but local noise ordinances wouldn't. LEOs probably wouldn't care, I'll grant you that, but it's still likely to be illegal depending on locale.

Either way, I certainly agree with the second part. Uncouth and complete lack of class. Unfortunately, it seems like society continues to slide in that direction...

Last edited by aharleyrider; 08-16-2024 at 09:58 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by aharleyrider:
Cap77 (08-17-2024), Hathaway (08-16-2024), NorthWestern (08-17-2024), Rains2much (08-16-2024), s-glide76 (08-17-2024), Sanjuro (08-17-2024), Tommy C (08-16-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-17-2024, 05:44 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,204 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Originally Posted by aharleyrider
I can't wrap my mind around this sentiment. More and more frequently I find myself in public spaces - beaches, state parks, hiking trails - that are being polluted with noise. People can't go anywhere without blaring some kind of music or whatever they're watching on their phone. While there is an obvious difference between a gas station and a national park, I'm going to go with the "broken windows theory" on this one. If you allow yourself to casually behave like a jerk, but only under certain circumstances, the set of circumstances will slowly grow until it's the rule, rather than the exception.

"Disturbing the peace" would be a stretch in most cases, but local noise ordinances wouldn't. LEOs probably wouldn't care, I'll grant you that, but it's still likely to be illegal depending on locale.

Either way, I certainly agree with the second part. Uncouth and complete lack of class. Unfortunately, it seems like society continues to slide in that direction...
Man...don't get me started on the speaker-phone use.

Old 08-17-2024, 06:44 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Pick a law and overturn it!

Texas created a law against brass knuckles in 1918 and it was recently overturned.

Now I can carry my knuckles w/o being harassed by the man!

While wearing my helmet!

Last edited by GeneseeGap; 08-17-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2024, 07:46 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master
Veteran: Marine CorpVeteran: Air Force
Received 849 Likes on 322 Posts

Only place I would consider wearing one other than on the bike, is if I was stupid enough to visit NYC......seems more and more people are walking around minding their own business, and some psycho walks by and round-house punches them or pushes them in front of a subway....Other than that, I just secure it to the bike with one of these:

https://lidlox.com

Old 08-17-2024, 07:50 AM
Old Sport
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,389 Likes on 618 Posts

Count me in the “Turn your radio down” camp…

I have a killer stereo on my bike (after-market). I can easily listen to my music at highway speed (don’t do it very often, but can). When cruising and listening to my music I am immediately on the volume-button to bring it down when stopped at a light, or my destination.

I have a buddy who is the high-volume guy. Mid-50s and otherwise a decent, respectable and considerate human being. Except when it comes to the f-ing music on his bike.

We’ve talked about it. He doesn’t get it.

I’ve stopped riding with him.

The following 3 users liked this post by Old Sport:
Rains2much (08-17-2024), Sanjuro (08-17-2024), Tommy C (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 07:53 AM
Old Sport
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,389 Likes on 618 Posts

Oh, and the helmet on all the time thing is odd. Not judging, to each his own, but I find it odd.

Especially when stopping at the coffee shop…

And ordering coffee…

That you are going to drink…

While stopped at the coffee shop…

That’s very odd to me.

Rains2much (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 11:24 AM
s-glide76
Road Master
Received 1,089 Likes on 441 Posts

Yes you have a right to wear it in the store. But it's not the polite thing to do.
The right thing to do is before you go inside is to remove your helmet and then greet the cashier with a smile. Put them at ease. Their job dealing with this screwed up society is already stressful enough.

Sanjuro (08-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Full face, full time?