General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Box truck conversion to toy hauler/RV

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 10:59 AM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,293 Likes on 587 Posts

I am sure you already know, but just in case; RV's can be negotiated down 20-30% especially now that there is a glut of used ones post pandemic

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (08-15-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 11:06 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I'd suggest figuring a little more than 8 ft for the bike.
10ft would be preferable'
I say this from personal as well as friends experiences.
Especially if you have an Ultra

WP

The following 2 users liked this post by WP50:
07UltraGuy (08-12-2024), WONKEY (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 12:28 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior
Received 1,769 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap77
eeyeahbutt, you said U-Haul
They're a different animal than the appliance/furniture mover that hangs it up

..L.T.A.
Originally I did, I mentioned U-hauls because they have low decks, I also mentioned trucks with lift gates on auction sites, either one would work.

Cap77 (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 12:31 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior
Received 1,769 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
I'd suggest figuring a little more than 8 ft for the bike.
10ft would be preferable'
I say this from personal as well as friends experiences.
Especially if you have an Ultra

WP
I had a pull behind toy hauler with a 9ft garage (27ft overall), that was barely enough for my 14 SGS, I now double tow with a 5th wheel and 10foot trailer, if I was to ever buy another toy hauler it would have a 10 foot garage.

The following 3 users liked this post by WONKEY:
07UltraGuy (08-15-2024), Goose_NC (08-15-2024), WP50 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 01:46 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
I guess you guys haven’t seen any of these yet.
Of course I have. Used some of them too.

Wasn't what I was thinking you were considering with a box truck conversion.
Spend as you wish!

Uncle Larry (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 01:49 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,826 Likes on 19,323 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Of course I have. Used some of them too.

Wasn't what I was thinking you were considering with a box truck conversion.
Spend as you wish!
We were of the same opinion :>)

Old 08-16-2024, 04:55 AM
strokelessone
Tourer

Received 206 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Something to be aware of. Some RV campgrounds do not allow homemade RVs. They look for a RVIA decal on the trailer. Some campground have a 10 year rule also, but those are mostly the "resort" campgrounds.

Most states do not require a CDL for private use vehicles. But may require RV license or a non-CDL class "A" (NC does that).
Yeah, its a difficult thing explain to someone they have to get a "non CDL" CDL....lol. Most states have a license for those that aren't hauling commerce but needed to operate a vehicle with air brakes or specific GVWR rating (I think)....Its been several years since I needed my CDL and I was always a little fuzzy on some of the many rules...good luck

Old 08-16-2024, 05:07 AM
strokelessone
Tourer

Received 206 Likes on 127 Posts

OP...I think this mounted inside a box truck would check a lot of your boxes. In case of a break down it wouldn't be dependent on the vehicle to operate, the weight of it would be negligible, easy to strap down the bike while outside of the vehicle, not nearly as expensive a set up as a truck with an integrated ramp system.....possibly a good fit for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by strokelessone:
07UltraGuy (08-16-2024), Goose_NC (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 07:49 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,826 Likes on 19,323 Posts

I have a CDL and air brake certification ... Never knew there was "Non Commercial CDL" ... The things I learn here ... I have to wonder if a RV'er going through North Carolina knows this??

North Carolina requires a non-commercial driver's license to operate a recreational vehicle (RV):
  • Class A
    Required for any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds
  • Class B
    Required for a single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or to tow another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less
  • Class C
    Required for a single vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, or to tow a vehicle with a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds
Most states do not require a special license for RVs weighing under 26,000 pounds or towed vehicles under 10,000 pounds. Vehicles that can carry more than 16 passengers are often subject to special licensing (so you know, don't go RVing in a literal school bus).

Michigan has a Recreational license for those who tow a trailer with a trailer which isn't recognized in many east coast states

In Michigan, a "recreational double" is a pickup truck towing a fifth-wheel trailer with a second trailer attached to the rear. The total length of the three units when coupled together cannot exceed 75 feet The truck must have a towing rating that is equal to or greater than the total weight being towed. The gross weight of the second trailer also cannot exceed the empty weight of the pickup truck or the fifth-wheel trailer.

strokelessone (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 08:12 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I have a CDL and air brake certification ... Never knew there was "Non Commercial CDL" ... The things I learn here ... I have to wonder if a RV'er going through North Carolina knows this??

North Carolina requires a non-commercial driver's license to operate a recreational vehicle (RV):
  • Class A
    Required for any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds
  • Class B
    Required for a single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or to tow another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less
  • Class C
    Required for a single vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, or to tow a vehicle with a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds
Most states do not require a special license for RVs weighing under 26,000 pounds or towed vehicles under 10,000 pounds. Vehicles that can carry more than 16 passengers are often subject to special licensing (so you know, don't go RVing in a literal school bus).

Michigan has a Recreational license for those who tow a trailer with a trailer which isn't recognized in many east coast states

In Michigan, a "recreational double" is a pickup truck towing a fifth-wheel trailer with a second trailer attached to the rear. The total length of the three units when coupled together cannot exceed 75 feet The truck must have a towing rating that is equal to or greater than the total weight being towed. The gross weight of the second trailer also cannot exceed the empty weight of the pickup truck or the fifth-wheel trailer.
When traveling, one must meet the requirements of your state. For example - Florida doesn't have any restrictions for private, non-commercial usage. I can buy a semi and load it with my stuff and go where ever. I can buy a huge RV bus with a tag axle and also tow a 28 foot trailer behind it, legally.

In NC, most do not know about the different license tiers, even at the DMV. The DMV license offices are contractors here in NC. Had I known, when I transferred from Florida I could have asked for the class A (non-CDL) and gotten it.

Quick Reply: Box truck conversion to toy hauler/RV