Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2024, 02:21 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 447 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Made a mistake?

Yesterday I went on a great ride through So IN, with my new friend, met on the forum, the "Hoosier Cruiser' on FB. After stopping for dinner we started the ride back and immediately I began hearing noises that I hadn't heard before, sounded like some sort of vibration that was new. We pulled over and I had my buddy listen as I revved it up and he said that he couldn't hear anything unusual as I inspected for anything that may be loose and didn't find anything. So we proceeded on and I began hearing all sorts of alarming noises that began to sound like rattling, vibration and even some clunking noises. I had him ride beside me and listen then we stopped again and he said that he still could not hear anything unusual. When stopped I still heard the vibration. The bike did not feel like it was running any different and still had good power so we proceeded. I continued to hear these terrible noises and was beginning to think the rattling and clunking noise may be from the primary or tranny as the motor was still strong and no idiot lights and temp. was good.
As I was riding along trying to figure out what was going on and wondering if something was about to grenade, I suddenly realized that after dinner I had forgot to remove my hearing aids before putting my BT earbuds in. I pulled over and removed the hearing aids and replaced the ear buds and proceeded home. All sounded normal again and made it home with no apparent damage.

I have been riding with Blue Tooth ear buds for some time to protect my remaining hearing and be able to connect to my phone for map directions. I only recently began using hearing aids and remove them for riding. Before I realized my mistake I was freaking out at all the unusual noises I was hearing and am now wondering if my scoot has issues that I have been unaware of due to my poor hearing?
FYI - When I listen without any aids or earbuds I hear the ticking and sewing machine noises that people describe as normal HD noise but now I am beginning to question what is normal.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I am thinking maybe I should take it to an experienced mechanic, with good hearing, and get it checked out.
What say you?

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (08-11-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 376 Likes on 279 Posts

Maybe they were hitting each other and causing the noises you were hearing.

Tom

Old 08-10-2024, 03:31 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,149 Likes on 6,691 Posts

Shxt happens. Glad you figured it out.

RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 03:46 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 964 Posts

On the rare occasion that I ride without my earbuds I'm shocked at the noises I hear!

The following 3 users liked this post by YZR:
mikefmoto (08-11-2024), Oko (08-11-2024), RHD51 (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 04:05 PM
RHD51
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tom H
Maybe they were hitting each other and causing the noises you were hearing.

Tom
??????............ What was hitting each other?

Old 08-10-2024, 04:08 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 376 Likes on 279 Posts

You said something about hearing aids and ear buds from the way I read your post. I thought maybe you had both on at the same time and were maybe hitting each other causing noises.

Sorry if I didn't understand what you wrote.

Tom

Glenn Gorman (08-11-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 04:29 PM
RHD51
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tom H
You said something about hearing aids and ear buds from the way I read your post. I thought maybe you had both on at the same time and were maybe hitting each other causing noises.

Sorry if I didn't understand what you wrote.

Tom
You understood correctly. I did have the hearing aids and earbuds in at the same time for a while.
I just didn't understand what you were referring to. I suppose it's possible, I don't know.

I just got back from the garage , doing a more thorough inspection for any loose rattles and found a couple possible culprits. The front exhaust shroud was touching the muffler at the rear corner and showing signs of wear where it was rubbing. Also when banging the engine guard I could here the highway pegs rattle. I adjusted the shroud so it is not touching the muffler and added washers to tighten up the pegs.
I started it up and listened with just the hearing aids in and all sounded normal only louder. I don't think the things I found were what I was hearing.

Old 08-10-2024, 06:54 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 813 Likes on 389 Posts

I was hearing a strange rubbing or squeaking sort of sound, but only at certain times. Other times total silence. It turned out to be the rubber/plastic padding piece at the back bottom of my helmet rubbing against the collar of one of my leather jackets. I cut the padding off with an exacto and now silence.

RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 07:51 PM
RHD51
Road Captain

Strange noises can be difficult to track down. I previously had a buzzing noise the bugged for a long time until one time I banged one of the passing lights and there it was. The cheap Sunpie lights I had installed had a rattle that sounded like buzzing at speed. I quickly replaced them with HogWerks and have been happy with them.

My current issue is way different with my perception of noises being altered or enhanced by the hearing aids to what extent that I am now unsure of what I am hearing.
If you have not experienced prescription hearing aids it is difficult to understand that normal sounds can be greatly amplified like a dogs nails on a hard floor can sound deafening or running water sounding like a flood or taking a **** sounding like a waterfall.

That is why I asked here if anyone had experienced listening to an HD with hearing aids and was alarmed as I was.

Old 08-10-2024, 08:04 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,624 Likes on 7,761 Posts

I tried wearing hearing aids for a while but I found that they made the sounds that annoy me the most louder. I much prefer the peace and quiet that hearing loss provides. Now, if I could only get rid of the tinnitus...

RHD51 (08-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Made a mistake?