General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2024, 08:24 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,305 Likes on 2,938 Posts

I’ve had three M-8 touring bikes, all bought new. They all three make/made different/odd/weird/queer noises.

The following users liked this post:
RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 10:42 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,291 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
I’ve had three M-8 touring bikes, all bought new. They all three make/made different/odd/weird/queer woke noises.
fixed it for you

The following 2 users liked this post by Taxgod4u:
Oko (08-11-2024), Tommy C (08-11-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 11:27 PM
timbo1
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD51
Yesterday I went on a great ride through So IN, with my new friend, met on the forum, the "Hoosier Cruiser' on FB. After stopping for dinner we started the ride back and immediately I began hearing noises that I hadn't heard before, sounded like some sort of vibration that was new. We pulled over and I had my buddy listen as I revved it up and he said that he couldn't hear anything unusual as I inspected for anything that may be loose and didn't find anything. So we proceeded on and I began hearing all sorts of alarming noises that began to sound like rattling, vibration and even some clunking noises. I had him ride beside me and listen then we stopped again and he said that he still could not hear anything unusual. When stopped I still heard the vibration. The bike did not feel like it was running any different and still had good power so we proceeded. I continued to hear these terrible noises and was beginning to think the rattling and clunking noise may be from the primary or tranny as the motor was still strong and no idiot lights and temp. was good.
As I was riding along trying to figure out what was going on and wondering if something was about to grenade, I suddenly realized that after dinner I had forgot to remove my hearing aids before putting my BT earbuds in. I pulled over and removed the hearing aids and replaced the ear buds and proceeded home. All sounded normal again and made it home with no apparent damage.

I have been riding with Blue Tooth ear buds for some time to protect my remaining hearing and be able to connect to my phone for map directions. I only recently began using hearing aids and remove them for riding. Before I realized my mistake I was freaking out at all the unusual noises I was hearing and am now wondering if my scoot has issues that I have been unaware of due to my poor hearing?
FYI - When I listen without any aids or earbuds I hear the ticking and sewing machine noises that people describe as normal HD noise but now I am beginning to question what is normal.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I am thinking maybe I should take it to an experienced mechanic, with good hearing, and get it checked out.
What say you?
When I traded in one of my Valkyries for a new to me 2014 Electra Glide with 8k miles a couple years ago, I had it back at the dealership within the first week due to the clacking, ticking & clunking. Dealer said yep that's what it should sound like, no problem. 9k miles later and I barely notice it anymore. But riding a Valkyrie since 2005 with it's horizontally opposed flat 6 with no vibration or noise and purring like a kitten It was a stark contrast to what I was used to. So I'd say ride it like you normally do (without hearing aids) and if something sounds abnormal then look into it otherwise ride on.

RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 02:02 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,724 Likes on 890 Posts

If I ride my KTM without ear plugs I become convinced that the bike is about to self-destruct. It's mostly chain slap from the very long drain chain and the spring on the centrestand needs replacing so the stand clacks up and down slightly over the bumps. Wind also whistles through odd places in the bodywork suggesting rapid unscheduled disassembly.

I went on a charity ride years ago on my KTM 990 SMT. I was riding behind an old guy on an 883 Sportster. He had unbaffled shotgun cans fitted and the fueling must have been all over the place because it was popping and banging and farting and making all sorts of strange noises. I was sure it was my bike as I hadn't had it long. I kept leaning down and listening to my engine, expecting imminent catastrophic mechanical failure. I eventually twigged the source of this cacophony and overtook the popping and banging Sportster. My bike ran like a sewing machine for the rest of the ride.

One of the things I liked about my LRS was the lack of mechanical noise. And the smoothness of the belt drive. Compared with a lot of metric bikes with masses of valves and chain-driven overhead camshafts, M8 engines sound pretty silky.

Last edited by Gimlet; 08-11-2024 at 02:04 AM.
RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 05:33 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

Wow, crazy story. Kinda funny. Glad it ended well and nothing was wrong with the bike.

I think many of us can relate to having g a song on the stereo with some strange sounds make you questions if it was the bike or the music.

Ride safe.

RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 07:32 AM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,169 Likes on 2,640 Posts

when I first got mine, I wound her up to 100+mph to make sure no wobbles 'n stuff.
It rolled fine at speed, though I thought the heads were gonna explode from all the racket

I wear ear plugs most of the time with few exceptions.
Without them, I notice more tire road noise, clunks and clangs from vehicles around me.

..L.T.A.

RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 08:08 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 1,581 Posts

My twinkie ALWAYS sounds like it’s going to let loose. I’ve got 61k on it listening to it’s metallic music.

RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 08:12 AM
MarlinSpike
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 369 Posts

When I first got my bike, there was a rattle that I traced to the headlight chrome ring. Removed and found the foam isolator was worn.
I installed a very thin O-ring around the inner area and reinstalled the headlight ring, been quiet since.

RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 10:42 AM
rabram
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I experienced similar "new" noises when I 1st started wearing hearing aids. It took a little while to accept what was normal (Twin cam) & what was not, that developed later ( inner primary bearing & later noise from my poor clutch adjustment) .
I now use my hearing aids to listen to music via Bluetooth from phone.
Ron

RHD51 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

I always road locally with a half helmet. My first group ride to the mountains I wore my full face, I thought my bike was flinging parts as soon as we got on the interstate. Never heard so many noises.....

RHD51 (08-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Made a mistake?