Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a deep breath and wow this is an empty feeling

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 07:38 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,877 Likes on 2,415 Posts
Default Took a deep breath and wow this is an empty feeling

First time since 1972 I do not have a 2 wheel bike in my garage. Long story short, I fractured my spine and needed surgery. I was told forget about a bike for a while meaning a few years if ever again. So last fall I sold my RGS and my BMW R9T. I said to my wife, Im gonna buy that 1960 to 1976 Caddy convertible I always wanted. Her reply - yeah and on Sundays you can drive behind your friends who are riding - She actually told me to buy the Triglide as my cheap *** wouldn't spend the money. Fast forward - I had my Heritage in the garage that I put a ton of money into (09 teal and cream w/ 3000 miles - It took me 4.5 years to find this exact bike in this condition). I said someday I'll be back on it. Well, someday aint comin'... Yesterday the bike was picked up and man was that hard.....

I still have my pop's 60 that he bought from my uncle in 64 or 65 and my 83 Wideglide that I bought in 1984... They both need some love but they aint goin anywhere.. So im sitting here deflated looking at that hole in my garage.. This sucks, time for another Cafe Bustelo..

The following 6 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
bson (08-01-2024), Goose_NC (08-01-2024), jamala00 (08-01-2024), redfin00 (08-01-2024), smitty901 (08-01-2024), TwiZted Biker (08-01-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-01-2024, 07:53 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,652 Likes on 2,757 Posts

Personally, if it's something you've always wanted and money isn't an issue... I'd get the Caddy.

Old 08-01-2024, 07:58 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jamala00
Personally, if it's something you've always wanted and money isn't an issue... I'd get the Caddy.
The trike and the Caddy were about the same coin. I got the trike. Still riding with my friends and Im glad I made that decision. When I retire, I'll et that Caddy but for now....

The following 2 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
jamala00 (08-01-2024), redfin00 (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 08:06 AM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior
Received 785 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
The trike and the Caddy were about the same coin. I got the trike. Still riding with my friends and Im glad I made that decision. When I retire, I'll et that Caddy but for now....
A bunch of guys in my area are on trikes… I don’t think I’ll ever go that route. I believe the ones that went trike enjoy the riding clubs and charity events as much as riding. Nothing wrong with that, but for me it’s always been about the lean and the powering up a hill etc etc… it’s the riding that satisfies me… eating out and standing around at the local VFW doesn’t scratch my itch.

Now that you’ve made the switch from 2 to 3… what say you? Do you get the same satisfaction on the trike you did from the bikes?

The following users liked this post:
Slash (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 08:09 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 669 Posts

Really sorry to hear this news UK. I hope your health recovers. Sometimes our bodies fail us.
About 18 months ago I sold my dream bike, my RKC due to health issues and although I still have my 1200, that "hole" in the garage does suck.
I did what your thinking: get a convertible! Do it!

Now go out and buy your dream convertible and make new memories with your wife riding shotgun. It's awesome!

The following 5 users liked this post by MikeBel:
bson (08-01-2024), gonemad (08-01-2024), Grouser62 (08-01-2024), StevieMac! (08-01-2024), WP50 (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 08:10 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
First time since 1972 I do not have a 2 wheel bike in my garage. Long story short, I fractured my spine and needed surgery. I was told forget about a bike for a while meaning a few years if ever again. So last fall I sold my RGS and my BMW R9T. I said to my wife, Im gonna buy that 1960 to 1976 Caddy convertible I always wanted. Her reply - yeah and on Sundays you can drive behind your friends who are riding - She actually told me to buy the Triglide as my cheap *** wouldn't spend the money. Fast forward - I had my Heritage in the garage that I put a ton of money into (09 teal and cream w/ 3000 miles - It took me 4.5 years to find this exact bike in this condition). I said someday I'll be back on it. Well, someday aint comin'... Yesterday the bike was picked up and man was that hard.....

I still have my pop's 60 that he bought from my uncle in 64 or 65 and my 83 Wideglide that I bought in 1984... They both need some love but they aint goin anywhere.. So im sitting here deflated looking at that hole in my garage.. This sucks, time for another Cafe Bustelo..
Kevin, I'm right there with you. I've made the decision to trike my Indian. I still have hopes of getting back on a softail, but that day may also never come. I hope that beautiful '09 went to a good home. Ride safe, Ted

uncle kebo (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 09:44 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 547 Likes on 347 Posts

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I do understand what Gogobeck is saying bout the lean and the actual ride. There is that for sure and if it were me I would miss that too. I do not lean a lot, but that is certainly part of the ride.

That said, I may be in a similar situation in the future. I had a tailbone injury a few years ago. I was told it was a bad bruise and never got X rays. A few months later on a checkup, I was feeling fine and did not push the issue. Now I am having intermittent lower back pain. Not severe but noticeable so who knows how long I will be riding. I like the sounds, my friends and the whole biker experience so a trike may be a possibility too. If not, I will certainly go down the classic car rabbit hole. I see a 71 Road Runner in my future one way or another

Old 08-01-2024, 09:47 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
A bunch of guys in my area are on trikes… I don’t think I’ll ever go that route. I believe the ones that went trike enjoy the riding clubs and charity events as much as riding. Nothing wrong with that, but for me it’s always been about the lean and the powering up a hill etc etc… it’s the riding that satisfies me… eating out and standing around at the local VFW doesn’t scratch my itch.

Now that you’ve made the switch from 2 to 3… what say you? Do you get the same satisfaction on the trike you did from the bikes?
Its a completely different vehicle BUT in a straight line, Its all the same. I still get to ride and be with my HD crew that I've been with for 40 years. I just did a 300 mile day trip and I'll tell ya, it was a nice ride. Goin 'down the shore' and taking the GSP, it was a pleasure. The twisties, not so much...

GOGOBECK (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 09:52 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Really sorry to hear this news UK. I hope your health recovers. Sometimes our bodies fail us.
About 18 months ago I sold my dream bike, my RKC due to health issues and although I still have my 1200, that "hole" in the garage does suck.
I did what your thinking: get a convertible! Do it!

Now go out and buy your dream convertible and make new memories with your wife riding shotgun. It's awesome!

Back in 2017 I was rearended while moving and got really banged up.. Had constant back issues but the doctors didnt see anything. I kept hearing 'soft tissue damage'... Then I dropped my keys and collapsed picking them up. I couldnt move. Ended up I had a broken vertebrae, 1 disk blown into the spinal canal, another into the sciatic canal. Had surgery in Feb 24. Back feels fine, crazy issue is I have a very weak leg and cant hold up a bike. BUT im in the wind, hangin with my buddies, riding with my kids... Its all good... One day...

Last edited by uncle kebo; 08-01-2024 at 09:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
MikeBel (08-01-2024), Slash (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 10:48 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,260 Likes on 6,097 Posts

Sooner or later, we all have to make that choice. Do what you can with the trike. Or start wrenching on the other bikes that you said needed some love.

Quick Reply: Took a deep breath and wow this is an empty feeling