General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A modern resistive view of Harley perfomance

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 08:17 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,646 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Paintslinger16
Basically you know I concur,
The whole subject of Harley performance is strange, especially in this forum. Everyone is looking for the cam or the tune or the stage.

But actually mention that you race a Harley or want to beat the next lane over, and it’s Harley’s are for cruising! go buy a plastic big 4 Japanese bike if you want to go fast, and if that’s true, why are you doing all these EPA strangled changes then?

Todays Harley have more then a 50% increase in cc compared to when the 80 incher was the bigger of the Big twins.
My first modded HD motor was a 80:inch Shovel, than I did the Evo. Coming from that a 121 factory engine should not need anything.

I did it, 'cause I wanted to go faster and quicker. And my response has always been I know and everyone knows a ‘Busa is fast, but it’s way more fun to make a slow bike go fast!
Yes you are a kindred spirit and this thread was started for guys like us to talk. Harley’s are just cool. Fast Harley’s are even cooler. It’s defiantly getting more practical and more easily accomplished.

The following users liked this post:
Paintslinger16 (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 08:19 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,822 Likes on 19,322 Posts

Today it's a bolt it on and go fast ... Years ago it took a bit more trial and error ... Trust me !!

Old 07-31-2024, 08:24 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Old 07-31-2024, 08:30 PM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,250 Likes on 646 Posts

Harley-Davidson offers for 2024 at least 4 or 5 different frames. Surely these frames are offered because the performance of differing models will be different.
We must not make the mistake of thinking that the performance expectations of all HD models are the same.
That would be a mistake. Our individual expectations of how Harley-Davidson motorcycles should perform are not everyone's expectation. The performance spectrum is too wide.

Rains2much (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 08:34 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Old 07-31-2024, 08:35 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Old 07-31-2024, 09:16 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,486 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
I laugh every time I see a thread making these comparisons. I have both currently and ride both back to back often. To compare to a sport bike to a Harley is like comparing an exotic car to a station wagon and just doesn't make sense. Take my 99 CBR900RR for example (a 25 year old bike with 130hp), showroom stock its 10.9 in the quarter and 176MPH top end not to mention it can turn a corner unbelievably fast and stop rapidly. Make any changes and the numbers just continue to improve not to mention they go 100,000 miles easily with just regular maintenance.

Harley's making 10 second passes are a 1 trick pony and something is going to break and break again because you're still driving a station wagon with a big block. Cool yes, great sound and a nice cruiser with some snot but it's no thoroughbred and never can be. Even a king of the baggers bike thats probably $300K, built by the best of the best can't compete with a stock modern sport bike other than it can carry items in the saddle bags and the V4S you're limited to your pockets.

Old 07-31-2024, 09:20 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hellonewman
I laugh every time I see a thread making these comparisons. I have both currently and ride both back to back often. To compare to a sport bike to a Harley is like comparing an exotic car to a station wagon and just doesn't make sense. Take my 99 CBR900RR for example (a 25 year old bike with 130hp), showroom stock its 10.9 in the quarter and 176MPH top end not to mention it can turn a corner unbelievably fast and stop rapidly. Make any changes and the numbers just continue to improve not to mention they go 100,000 miles easily with just regular maintenance.

Harley's making 10 second passes are a 1 trick pony and something is going to break and break again because you're still driving a station wagon with a big block. Cool yes, great sound and a nice cruiser with some snot but it's no thoroughbred and never can be. Even a king of the baggers bike thats probably $300K, built by the best of the best can't compete with a stock modern sport bike other than it can carry items in the saddle bags and the V4S you're limited to your pockets.
So does your chiropractor ride on the back with you when you do 500 mile days? Cause my hopefully 10 second Harley does 500 mile days. By the way I owned a 1995 CBR900RR. It was the second motorcycle I ever owned, rode it about 3 years. I sold it when I got into Harley.. didn’t need it any more. Don’t miss it. It was a one trick pony only being fun at 140mph+ and when you were pushing the lean.. sucked for long distances and sure sucked to look at even with the power pa k, polished frame and aftermarket pipe.

Last edited by Rains2much; 07-31-2024 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2024, 09:35 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
Why come into a thread when you hate the person who started it. Just love being negative I guess.
That is what they do. Then they derail it, and complain it was derailed.

I am not 100% sure they expecations of this thread, but I like talking bikes too.

I think the TCs had fair power, especially 103. I am sure I would like an M8. I do think some older harleys were borderline unsafe with the amount of time it took to pass. Ha.

MY complaint is reliability. I am a negative nancy on that. I think they peaked maybe 20 years ago, I'll probably get over it, but having my water pump fail at 24k miles, and reading all the posts here, with lesser miles has bittered me. Been looking at Indians. I'll probably get over it. I don't care for the looks, but I want to ride. I may end up in the camp, that has a new other bike, and hangs on to the old harleys

Again, if it goes good, maybe I'll get over it.

I am starting to sound like the old duffs, I don't like what harley is making, Making bunch of pretty expensive bikes, and no chrome. No FLHR. No FLHT, I think they never should have come out with tthe FLHTK, because that is what the FLHTCU should have been.

Pay extra for second key? What else out there comes without a second key? They been coming with a heel shifter for how many decades, until now??

As far as claims of woke, not like they have rainow t-shirts or pulling a bud light. On this note, I a, not conviced. Most of the anti harley stuff is just head line news, without details. Not saying not true,but peoole need to dig in for facts. When they don't give you facts, you need to wonder

pgrchaplain (08-02-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 09:35 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,783 Posts

I stay with harley like a battered woman, its what I know, and I don't know if I can find anyone else.

Quick Reply: A modern resistive view of Harley perfomance