General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A modern resistive view of Harley perfomance

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 09:28 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,486 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
To be fair, I'm looking at a Versys650 right now as a 2nd bike to have as my purely solo riding bike, track, and dirt... and my Harley would absolutely be the fast bike between the two even though the new versys has a Ninja sport bike aesthetic re-design.
My Fat Boy absolutely hauls *** and it's that "Dragula" kind of fast feeling. Even though it's not done yet. I can STILL pull sub 4 second zero to 60 on an unprepared surface with next to no real practice.
Undoutably if I wanted to ride a bike for speed purposes, it'd be harley over the versys650 because while the versys has plenty of lean angle and design to handle a track. It's never going to be close to my Fat Boy in terms of actual SPEED that my fat boy can handle right now.
My bike with it's suspension is smooth at 120mph down the freeway, Versys650 cant even dream of reaching 120.
OFC it's nothing like a 1000RR, but that RR cant be seat swapped for 2 up comfortable riding for 2 people for thousands of miles.
Just because it's "slow" compared to an RR, it doesnt mean it's universally slow, and that performance choices on a Harley isn't a meaningless task.

Also that's not how bias works. This is why people who say "but I have a black friend" are missing the point. You can easily own something and still be against it or dislike it.
Like, I own 3 different xbox one controllers, and I dislike them compared to a PS4 controller. But xbox ones just plug into my PC and work so... I deal with it.

Riding thousands of miles 2up, is that what you do on your softail? Your boyfriend on the back? Send a pic please lol. Sport bikes come with a token backpack seat but I've never and will never have a passenger on one, it's just not meant for that but I guess it helps sales for the few that want that option.

If I was travelling thousands of miles I wouldn't chose either of the bikes you mentioned nor would I chose a sport bike or even my WideGlide, I would chose an Electra-Glide and be more comfortable, that's what it's designed for. A Fatboy is a straight line bar hopper bike, more suited to quarter mile than the softail springer, both majorly compromised when a bend in the road presents itself.

I was looking up the Rocket 3R yesterday because they interest me (hate the rear fender / plate holder) and it lead me to a thread from 2023 where a guy is trying to get into the 9's with his, he was at 10.4 last he posted but planned to strap the forks down to help his launch. Pretty impressive and a 176MPH top end I believe.

I think the first post set the tone for a thread that could only go down from there.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 12:05 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,908 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Riding thousands of miles 2up, is that what you do on your softail? Your boyfriend on the back? Send a pic please lol.
Yeap actually I do. I put 1200miles in one summer on my Fat Boy with my exBF on the back. He's not a rider himself and I dont own a car, so Bike adventures are what we did that summer.
I'm no longer with him but we are still very good friends.
Now days I do the same with my gf.
I regularly pick her up and drop her off at her place since she works so far away. We've done at least 2000miles this year just commuting alone.
And it's honestly no problem. The Saddlemen Explorer RS seat I have is quite comfy for both of us. The SE Ohlins rear shock rides SO SMOOTHLY.
We got extra power over a bagger since my bike weighs a good chunk less than a loaded bagger.

But you also have to remember I dont just keep my bike in Touring mode. I have a different seat and some things I pull off the bike and strip it down to make it light, and easy to move my body around on, so I can go rip and tear corners. I'm mildly known around the motorcycle community here for being the girl who tears up the shoulder tread of her tires before the center... on a Harley. Which people think is bonkers.
It takes less than 5 minutes to swap stuff and put the bike in tour mode or race mode.

At the end of the day, my bike can both be a comfy touring bike, and a speed demon.
Pic1: My exBF giving me a thumbs up for the pic(taken 2023)
Pic2: My Gf and I camping on the river during a heat wave.
Pic3: My bike in Race Mode (minus the peg relocators, those aren't supposed to be on the bike in Race Mode)

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 08-07-2024 at 12:12 AM.
Rains2much (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 06:26 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,783 Posts

I never liked the idea of taking the time to strip my bike down to make it uncomfortable. I am all about comfort and enjoying the ride. I have grown to the size of my tank.

Old 08-07-2024, 06:29 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Hathaway
I have been derailed on forums before, as well. It's the risk we take when we post.ff!
People here need go talk with men. Its not a debate with 90 second timer, and getting dinged when off topic. To me forums are a virtual conversation in a big room. You can also step out of this conversation, and walk over to another group if you choose.

foxtrapper (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 08:00 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,646 Likes on 786 Posts

Yeap actually I do. I put 1200miles in one summer on my Fat Boy with my exBF on the back. He's not a rider himself and I dont own a car, so Bike adventures are what we did that summer.
I'm no longer with him but we are still very good friends.
Now days I do the same with my gf.
I regularly pick her up and drop her off at her place since she works so far away. We've done at least 2000miles this year just commuting alone.
And it's honestly no problem. The Saddlemen Explorer RS seat I have is quite comfy for both of us. The SE Ohlins rear shock rides SO SMOOTHLY.
We got extra power over a bagger since my bike weighs a good chunk less than a loaded bagger.

But you also have to remember I dont just keep my bike in Touring mode. I have a different seat and some things I pull off the bike and strip it down to make it light, and easy to move my body around on, so I can go rip and tear corners. I'm mildly known around the motorcycle community here for being the girl who tears up the shoulder tread of her tires before the center... on a Harley. Which people think is bonkers.
It takes less than 5 minutes to swap stuff and put the bike in tour mode or race mode.

At the end of the day, my bike can both be a comfy touring bike, and a speed demon.
Pic1: My exBF giving me a thumbs up for the pic(taken 2023)
Pic2: My Gf and I camping on the river during a heat wave.
Pic3: My bike in Race Mode (minus the peg relocators, those aren't supposed to be on the bike in Race Mode)

I really dig your paint. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it posted before.

Last edited by Rains2much; 08-07-2024 at 08:01 AM.
FranBunnyFFXII (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 10:03 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,908 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
I really dig your paint. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it posted before.
It's a factory limited set color, and there is one other poster who has one on the forums here, and there is another who has one on reddit.
It's called Resurgence Paint, and yeah its quite an interesting paint job. It gave my bike a theme to work with.

Rains2much (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 10:43 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,646 Likes on 786 Posts

It's a factory limited set color, and there is one other poster who has one on the forums here, and there is another who has one on reddit.
It's called Resurgence Paint, and yeah its quite an interesting paint job. It gave my bike a theme to work with.
This paint job is “sorta” similar. Hard to see my candy scallops in this pic. I painted this almost 30 years ago and it still looks great today after well over 150,000 miles. I bet I’ve had the entire drive train out of it since painted at least 10 if not 15 times lol.

Last edited by Rains2much; 08-07-2024 at 10:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rains2much:
FranBunnyFFXII (08-07-2024), Hathaway (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 10:47 AM
Hathaway
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
People here need go talk with men. Its not a debate with 90 second timer, and getting dinged when off topic. To me forums are a virtual conversation in a big room. You can also step out of this conversation, and walk over to another group if you choose.
Thanks for proving my point.

Old 08-07-2024, 11:19 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
That data certainly matches my experience. A Ducati is a thrill to ride but no way I'm riding one across the US on one. I got no problem with H-D reliability but when it came time to ride from NC to Fairbanks and back, I picked a Suzuki and was not disappointed.
In my observation, the bikes in the run trailers are the bike not maintained per OEM manual, and/or the owner did high performance mods themselves. Usually they upgrade an engine, and then fix what breaks after that. But rarely do folks review and upgrade the entire drive train.

Harley's, since the EVO days, can easily do 100,000 miles with just routine maintenance.

Old 08-07-2024, 12:11 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,486 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Okay so you don't do road trips that are thousands of miles with your man on the back of your Fatboy. Just lots of short ones, thanks for clarifying. Thanks for the pics, hard to find the words to express my thoughts on that

Quick Reply: A modern resistive view of Harley perfomance