General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who enjoy riding with their pack.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 08:13 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,300 Likes on 6,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sport
I got back on a bike in 2018... 75K miles later, I've quickly found what I like and what I don't when it comes to riding.

I thought I'd like big group rides – I don't... I thought I'd love riding with ALL my buddies – truth be told I don't... Some are reckless and looking for trouble (the accident kind of trouble). Some ride beyond their limits and worry me. Some are way too slow. Or too needy or anxious while out on the road. Some need to stop for gas too often. Some need the bathroom a lot. One guy plays his stereo WAY too loud for me. I could go on, but I suspect most get it.

I truly love riding and I can spend all day in the saddle. I like to ride my ride. As Jim Croce says, "If you're going my way, I'll go with you..."

I've got one buddy that I've ridden tens of thousands of miles with over the past few years. It works well. Presently, it's with him or it's on my own.

Funny... I suspected to see tequila on this list...
You and I sound alike, I dont like riding with other people. I like to set my own pace, not having to worry if someone wants to stop for gas or to take a leak. I dont want to keep an eye on someone who yo-yos back and forth and cant hold a line in his lane, or take a turn too wide.
There are 1 or 2 other people I'll ride with occasionally and thats it. No more than 1 other bike and I'll never ride a large group ride again after some of the **** shows Ive seen.
Most of the people that go on these large group rides shouldnt be riding at all, especially after hitting 3 or 4 bars along the route.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
Old Sport (07-30-2024), s-glide76 (07-30-2024), StevieMac! (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 08:14 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
Sure some prefer to ride alone, I do too sometimes. But this thread is about positive vibes riding with your buds, dad, brother, wife, club. Destinations and events?

Who do you ride with?

For some of us riding is transportation, others recreation, some a mix.

How do you use your bike(s)?

I like the 3-4 guys, longer rides with guys you hang with on a regular basis.

The bigger group rides, anything from 7-12 riders are cool too. Usually hit a great restaurant, maybe see the ocean and hit some breweries.

I don’t like large group rides.. anything over say 12 riders as much. Don’t really wanna ride with strangers of unknown skill or sense.

Twice a year I try to hit Sons of Speed, usually 4-5 riders come.

The last week of October I’m doing a 4 day up/Dwn the coast in ABNB’s with about 7 people.. should be a good time.. taking the Road King for that one.

Next year we’re talking going back to NC. But we’re also eyeing Blak-Hills.

I’d go crazy without riding.
But you are a grumpy old Florida (probably a transplant!) retiree that only has time to bitch, moan, and complain! LOL

I have too many retired friends "waiting" on me to retire. I have warned them that they will experience "wife issues" as I intend on many miles, and several weeks of riding the USA places I have not seen yet.

Old 07-30-2024, 08:33 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Mostly I ride alone.

Sometimes I ride with a few friends. Usually no more than 3-4 of us. We mesh well, so the riding is easy.

Very occasionally I ride with a larger group. Generally I do not care for this. But, as long as it's casual and thoughtful, it seems to work reasonably well.

I very much do not like large structured organized group rides. The pedantic rules and order, the tantrums that seem to invariably arise, the low travel speeds, the crashes, "road captains" and other traffic absurdities. These generally are not rides for me.

Old 07-30-2024, 09:06 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,646 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
But you are a grumpy old Florida (probably a transplant!) retiree that only has time to bitch, moan, and complain! LOL

I have too many retired friends "waiting" on me to retire. I have warned them that they will experience "wife issues" as I intend on many miles, and several weeks of riding the USA places I have not seen yet.
53, have my own small company and work like a dog. I’m a farm kid from Ohio who didn’t move to a big city until I was 34. Came to FL in 2004. Sorry I come accross grumpy.. interesting, don’t get that from local friends.. maybe my typed words are very alien to my actions in person.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rains2much:
Goose_NC (07-30-2024), Old Sport (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 10:27 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
53, have my own small company and work like a dog. I’m a farm kid from Ohio who didn’t move to a big city until I was 34. Came to FL in 2004. Sorry I come accross grumpy.. interesting, don’t get that from local friends.. maybe my typed words are very alien to my actions in person.

I am a native born and proud Floridiot! I was being facetious about the retiree as I know many folks who fit that category. I am 63 myself. I am in NC because for work, and the long 85+

Type word usually fails to convey the tonal fluctuations that can change the entire meaning of those words. I get in trouble too often as I am a sarcastic twisted Marine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Goose_NC:
Old Sport (07-30-2024), Rains2much (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 01:06 PM
strokelessone
Tourer

Received 206 Likes on 127 Posts

I usually forget to put my sarcastic font on when typing.

The following 2 users liked this post by strokelessone:
Goose_NC (07-30-2024), Rains2much (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 01:10 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,194 Likes on 3,420 Posts

My ideal pack size is 1-3. And the other two better be people I know.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dynamick:
86glider (07-30-2024), Bullwinkle58 (08-03-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 03:06 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,660 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
It’s all about the ride. I enjoy riding solo, just with my wife and with large groups on HOG chapter rides. Adapt and adjust accordingly for maximum safety and enjoyment.
Most of my riding is solo with my wife on back. I like to stop when we want to, go the roads we like and do the miles per day we enjoy while not having to coordinate with several others.
This coming trip to Sturgis will be just me as the wife recently had a hip replaced and while she is ok on short rides she felt a 3500 mile trip may be a little too soon.

Old 07-30-2024, 03:13 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,248 Likes on 1,754 Posts

I've been riding solo for years, but rode with small groups and a co-worker a few years.
Got tired of looking in the side mirror to see if he caught up..

The following users liked this post:
Bullwinkle58 (08-03-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 04:17 PM
strokelessone
Tourer

Received 206 Likes on 127 Posts

I always try and ride in the back. The **** show is easier to watch from back there, and I have trust issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by strokelessone:
86glider (07-30-2024), Tom H (07-30-2024)

Quick Reply: For those who enjoy riding with their pack.