General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Textile jackets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024 | 07:12 AM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Textile jackets?

Been thinking about textile jacket for touring. Any recommendations. Do you still use rain gear over it? I don't see myself spending over $500, more in 300ish if I can. Maybe regret not going more. But the aerostich for $750 are more than I want to spend.

Was hoping to get more compact for storage, not sure if that happens since they physically as big as leather, two arms and a back. Would still be lighter for strapping on tourpak rack.

Are you doing unlined and wearing layers? Zipout lining? For leathers I am not huge fan of zip out liners. But those are kind of chinsy liners. Though they work for awhile. Mailed mine home from Alaska. I got one leather, I just leave it, and wear spring and fall.

Pockets for gun would be nice.

Old 07-25-2024 | 07:20 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

I've got several.

Cheapest route is either the likes of Cyclegear if you want new, or swap meets if you're comfortable with used.

I've mesh unarmored that wads up fairly small. The all season armored textile doesn't fold up all that small at all. The latter does have a winter liner that works, albeit not exactly impressively in the snow.

All get wet in the rain, so I wear rain gear over it.

All have pockets, all can hold pistols, but it will depend greatly on the size of the pistol.

Old 07-25-2024 | 07:24 AM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I've got a mesh with armor. Don't wear it alot because I was bringing a leather for cool parts of day and armor was making it bulky. If I can save some space it is plus.

As with everything I do, time is somewhat an issue, so unless I see it on facebook market place soon, is an issue. My mesh is first gear, never wore it enough to endorse,

I think armor is good idea, but also bulky and probably not going that route for touring due to room.

Last edited by Rounders; 07-25-2024 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2024 | 07:26 AM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Default Imaginary items

Originally Posted by Rounders
Been thinking about textile jacket for touring. Any recommendations. Do you still use rain gear over it? I don't see myself spending over $500, more in 300ish if I can. Maybe regret not going more. But the aerostich for $750 are more than I want to spend.

Was hoping to get more compact for storage, not sure if that happens since they physically as big as leather, two arms and a back. Would still be lighter for strapping on tourpak rack.

Are you doing unlined and wearing layers? Zipout lining? For leathers I am not huge fan of zip out liners. But those are kind of chinsy liners. Though they work for awhile. Mailed mine home from Alaska. I got one leather, I just leave it, and wear spring and fall.

Pockets for gun would be nice.
Imaginary gun to go with imaginary bike…what was that last drop in sentence for? Street/biker cred?

The following users liked this post:
benscratchin (08-11-2024)
Old 07-25-2024 | 07:43 AM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by M Oclaf
Imaginary gun to go with imaginary bike…what was that last drop in sentence for? Street/biker cred?
I suppose with cell phones the size guns, it may be foolish question. My first leather had no inside pockets. Some vests have beefy pockets for guns, done don't

My KLIM jacket for snowmobile wouldnt be good for gun.

Old 07-25-2024 | 08:28 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I've got several.

Cheapest route is either the likes of Cyclegear if you want new, or swap meets if you're comfortable with used.

I've mesh unarmored that wads up fairly small. The all season armored textile doesn't fold up all that small at all. The latter does have a winter liner that works, albeit not exactly impressively in the snow.

All get wet in the rain, so I wear rain gear over it.

All have pockets, all can hold pistols, but it will depend greatly on the size of the pistol.
Non-Leather is the way. I have certainly wasted leather-level money figuring it all out over the years.

I landed on a multi layer HD FXRG waterproof textile when I got this bike, and 5 years later I am due for a new one, it is starting to leak at the seams in heavy downpours.
This has been my main jacket for colder/wet spring rain and snow, and late fall when the weather is colder

Caveat: I am NOT a big fan of any clothing HD, but the logo is subtle, and the FXRG stuff is top notch, IMO

Love this version (can't get it anymore) the liner is a zipout hoody, which is what I honestly war most of the time, and is now thoroughly sun bleached.

I leave Duluth rain overpants and jacket in my saddlebag at all times. Always there for those mult day rides, and I seem to use them every time.

So, this winter I will be on the hunt for a new layered, waterproof set up, with a hoody for a liner.
If I can get 4-5 years out of it like the last one, the $800 is worth it to me.

Calif Fat Bob (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024 | 08:32 AM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Why buy a hoodie liner? Why not just use hoodie?

$800 every 5 years is definitely more expensive than leather that's lasts. But I guesss that is way it is

I should have mentioned I have a small gun. Ha

Old 07-25-2024 | 09:11 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have not owned a rain suit for 20+ years. My Aerostitch Darien suit has kept me dry for quite a many thousands of miles. I am 6'7" and 300 pounds so I generally do not find much off the rack to fit me. Normal size folks have many less expensive options that are reported to work well.

I still have a couple leather jackets that are in great shape and 20+ years old. I wear them on cool days when the weather is dry. Leather goods may protect and serve well through a couple unplanned dismounts. The textiles are usually one and done. With armor in the textile, it will protect as well as leathers, once.

NinetyFiveNorth (08-20-2024)
Old 07-25-2024 | 09:25 AM
mynewhd
Cruiser

I have Tourmaster Cortech jacket and pants. Wife and I bought that setup around 12 years ago when I got back into riding after a few years hiatus. The jacket and pants have mesh liners with soft armor that can be worn without the outside layer. The gear has held up very well, although the plastic zippers are starting to slip (undo for lack of a better word) on occasion when zipping the outer layer on the jacket. The jacket also has a winter liner and has plently of vents. I did have to replace the armor in my wife's jacket because the shoulder and elbow pads basically disintegrated while stored in the closet. The armor in my jacket is still good. Both jackets are stored in the same closet, so who knows why her's went and mine didn't.

I haven't worn the Tourmaster pants in a while, but, have been thinking about wearing them again with all the nutso car drivers not paying attention out there. I did get a rash of crap from riding friends when I used to wear the full gear, but nowadays, f-em!

I would say, watch out for the clothing in the Cycle Gear stores. The stuff does not look like the quality is there. Find the balance between $800 Aerostich and $200 crap. The cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. Zippers and other things just won't last.

The following 2 users liked this post by mynewhd:
Calif Fat Bob (07-25-2024), Goose_NC (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024 | 09:59 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Coming from the Adventure Bike world, all I wear now is Klim. It can get pricey buy once cry once. Some of the Euro Brands don't fit my American belly and I hate left handed zippers. Lol
I bought both my jackets used on Ebay for 1/2 retail.

Cold Riding - Klim Apex. Waist length, Gortex/Leater on shoulders. Mine is the older model with the leather shoulders which I really like. I've had this one 8+yrs and still looks new.

Warm Riding - Klim Marrakesh. Waist length, and fully breathable. Best all around jacket I own. The entire jacket is breathable and slide protection.

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 07-25-2024 at 10:03 AM.
Fatboy1389 (07-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Textile jackets?