General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Textile jackets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024 | 04:24 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

running out of time, so this morning in the drive before work I ordered a jacket. I got enought time to probably order another from Amazon if I don;t like it or different size. Basically bought because it generically fit the bill, and I have heard of Tourmaster, I have their rain gear. Plus it will be here this weekend with prime Nothing else I still have the leather. Which has served me well too

Has a rain liner, rather than being rain proof. Not sure if that is really what I want. Having to take my jacket off and zip it in, while standing in the rain?? Or do you just leave it in, unless really hot out??

I wanted something more compact, and maybe something that would lessen the need for rain gear. Be nice not to even carry rain gear, but not sure that is realistic, especially under a grand

I may regret spending $200 on this jacket, when I should have put it towards a higher end one.

Tourmaster Transition Waterproof Breathable Armored Touring Motorcycle Jacket

Old 08-01-2024 | 04:40 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior

That looks like a decent jacket, 200 ain’t much nowadays, with the vest it’s 3in1

Old 08-01-2024 | 07:02 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I'll be honest I didn't research it much. Quick read in driveway. I usually spend to much time analyzing and mind bleeping it. Its amazon so I can return.

I've got 2 foxcreek leathers. I kinda suspect I'll stay a JD. But never know. Maybe for work. Who knows maybe I'll have change in life.

Last edited by Rounders; 08-01-2024 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2024 | 08:28 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
running out of time, so this morning in the drive before work I ordered a jacket. I got enought time to probably order another from Amazon if I don;t like it or different size. Basically bought because it generically fit the bill, and I have heard of Tourmaster, I have their rain gear. Plus it will be here this weekend with prime Nothing else I still have the leather. Which has served me well too

Has a rain liner, rather than being rain proof. Not sure if that is really what I want. Having to take my jacket off and zip it in, while standing in the rain?? Or do you just leave it in, unless really hot out??

I wanted something more compact, and maybe something that would lessen the need for rain gear. Be nice not to even carry rain gear, but not sure that is realistic, especially under a grand

I may regret spending $200 on this jacket, when I should have put it towards a higher end one.

Tourmaster Transition Waterproof Breathable Armored Touring Motorcycle Jacket

Sending it back.

Heavy, bulky, pockets suck Tight.

Inside pockets are flimsy, and you have to reach through liner. As opposed to a fox creek, where you don't have to reach through liner and good pockets.

Three liners. So if you take the rain out because warm be a mess putting in when raining. Simpler to just put a rain jacket on over your jacket. The two little pockets are outside, so your phone would probably get wet, where as it would stay dry for a while inside of leather.

I was surprised how heavy it was. Not apples and oranges with the armor in. Also would not fit in my saddlebags with chaps in bags. Might with armor out.

Looks like PIA to latch all 3 liners. What is with all the straps everywhere?

Maybe this is an example of get what you pay for. I wanted something compact, light, and cutting back on rain gear would be a big plus. This is none of that. Trying on in a store would save time in the long run, but the problem is that limits you to such a small selection.

Do look cool in textile, like one of those adventure riders you see in the movies

Last edited by Rounders; 08-04-2024 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2024 | 08:33 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I've mostly worn a marlon brando, style jacket. Ended up shipping home the foxcreek liner from Alaska, to much screwing around in and out. I think zip out second liner is probably way to go. I bought peter fonda style, Fox creek Grayson, liner has never been out, it is my cold weather jacket. I do think lighter and easier to pack without belt, collar, and epillets.

Think I am going to take this, with liner out. Tempted to bring a puffy jacket for underneath. Never done this. This jacket has no collar so neck is exposed. Could wear a gator. I think hoodie may be to bulky, Usually I do always have hoodie on bike thought, but space is tigher two up big trip Can always find hoodie on a trip. But I got so many.

I don't like going on trip, with unproven set up.

Old 08-06-2024 | 02:10 PM
WXSW
Club Member
Riders Club Member

One of my favorite and most used jackets is a Cortech. It was on clearance sale for $175. Mesh body panels and sleeves with leather for sliding down the road, zip out liner, CE2 armor all around. I have good Cal-Leather and Vanson leather jackets and pants, but I wear the cheap Cortech a lot. It’s a great summer riding jacket and is easy to layer with. It’s held up under steady use for going on 4 years now. An amazing piece of gear for $175.

Last edited by WXSW; 08-06-2024 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2024 | 03:58 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Old 08-07-2024 | 12:03 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

I've got a Dainese textile suit. It's got a drop-down Gortex waterproof liner (fixed, not zip in) and I wouldn't buy another. The inner does keep you dry but the outer gets saturated. As you've only got a thin, cold waterproof membrane between your body and the wet outer layer, it gets cold and clammy in the rain and you feel wet through even though you're not - so you might as well be.
You can get around it by zipping in the thermal liner, but except in the middle of winter that just gets way too hot. You get a lot more engine heat transmitted through textiles as well, compared to leather.

If I bought another textile suit it would be a more expensive laminate system that is waterproof on the outside.

Best waterproof gear I ever had was a one-piece over suit. Totally waterproof and no clamminess. It did blow up like a comedy fat suit in the wind though, and if you don't stop and put it on at the first sign of rain, hoping it'll blow over, by the time you realise it ain't going to stop and you'd better pull over and suit up, you're wet through anyway.

Last edited by Gimlet; 08-07-2024 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2024 | 06:24 AM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gimlet
I've got a Dainese textile suit. It's got a drop-down Gortex waterproof liner (fixed, not zip in) and I wouldn't buy another. The inner does keep you dry but the outer gets saturated.

If I bought another textile suit it would be a more expensive laminate system that is waterproof on the outside.
ay.
I think I would look at more expensive jackets that are waterproof. Having 2 liners is bulky, and taking jacket off in rain to put liner on seems bad. Plus everything is outside the liner.

Maybe as dedicated fall jacket it would be ok.

I also debated about zip up liners in general. Are you better off with just another thin jacket to put on Most of yearly riding is cool mornings, and warm afternoons. Touring you got hot in lower elevations, cold in upper.

Again the pockets suck. Reach through liner and just flimsy pockets. What also sucks is $7 to send back to Amazon. But I am ok, chalk it up to trying stuff that is not available locally.

I suppose I should start this winter for something for next year, instead of 10 minutes before I leave.

Old 08-07-2024 | 01:01 PM
WXSW
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I carry a set of Frogg Toggs rain pants and jacket in the saddle bag for the times I may have enough rain to warrant their use. They work and they”re inexpensive. When I was commuting with my mesh Cortech jacket I used a light windproof running shirt for a mid layer to block the wind on cold mornings. All of this works with my other jackets as well and is easy to carry. I like having a set of various layers that can be mixed-and-matched with different jackets and pants to control warmth, airflow, and rain.

I have heard that eventually Gortex garments will leak. Even the pricey Aerostich suits. I’m guessing that the seams loosen up or need to be retaped after awhile. That being said, I have a pair of Daytona Gortex boots that have held up pretty well.

Last edited by WXSW; 08-07-2024 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Textile jackets?